LS2 GTO with Amsoil Signature Oil results-help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting this for a buddy of mine- since I suggested he switch to Amsoil Signature for extend oil intervals.

his work commute is M-F

2 miles tops, between 5-7 min at a time from home to work , city streets, with two lights before reaching destination.
perhaps drive 30min or so on hwy on weekends.

He was warming up the car -perhaps 90-120 seconds for most of the life of the car.

5K miles on the Amsoil in 6 months.

Is the low TBN a huge concern ? or is he just wasting his money with this oil? any suggestions would be appreciated. His previous oil was Amsoil Signature. Also changed at 5K for safety. draining his wallet isnt that big of a concern its really just getting the most miles i can out of the oil without harming the engine

any thoughts or suggestions ? thx in advance.

rkad81.jpg

I would ask for a re-test. There is no way the TBN should be that low in 5K miles. And I would not take their advice on extending it any more.

Is he positive the OCI was 5K?

Try Polaris labs. Better than Blackstone and you get oxidation and nitration which are as important as TBN.

You can count on Amsoil signature oil being excellent oil.

Last edited:
It was 5K pretty much on the dot.

I honestly was expecting maybe 7-8K out of the oil.

did not know about Polaris- I'll relay the message.

Wow, I just noticed the price at Polaris Labs to get an oil analysis that includes oxidation/nitration is $172. The simpler test without oxidation/nitration (and without TBN) is $136. Bummer. I can't spend that much for an oil analysis.

Last edited:
2 mile trips each way to work...so, super short trips 10x per week? Would expect the TBN to drop quicker with this use pattern...lots of moisture in the crankcase that builds acid quicker because it isn't getting driven off until the weekend....

Originally Posted By: 2James1
WOW! Are you sure that's not for multiple ones?

Oh you're so right. The $172 price is for a pack of 10. Very nice price. Thanks!

I guess I was used to the Dyson Analysis price of $149 for a test that includes interpretation by a true expert (Terry), or $79 for the basic test. Thanks again.

Last edited:
He should get an electric vehicle for this! And I would assume a cheaper oil changed more often would be better. Penzoil ultra or platinum would be my recommendation changed at 3k b/c of the ultra short commute.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
2 mile trips each way to work...so, super short trips 10x per week? Would expect the TBN to drop quicker with this use pattern...lots of moisture in the crankcase that builds acid quicker because it isn't getting driven off until the weekend....

+1.

Take some long open highway road trips and drive it fast when possible. May help. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I agree. I'm surprised with that driving pattern the oil held up as well as it did.
Because of these extremely short trips and oil not even getting warm enough to register I would look for something with a high viscosity index.
I'd do the caterham blend because of its extremely high viscosity index,and a can of mos2 just to put a stop to start up wear and help with all these cold starts.
Or stick with the same oil and just add mos2. I bet wear metals drop off a good bit.
And suggest to your friend to either buy a cheap 4 cylinder beater for this commute and stop killing this car. He should be thanking you,down on both knees for the suggestion because I doubt any other oil will have held up as this did.
MOS2 in with the oil for the win.

My thought is use the least expensive Dexos 1 rated 5W-30 you can find, change it at 3,000 mile intervals using OEM filter. The short trips are hard on oil and motor - the more frequent changes helps flush out the acid and water build up.

This is just typical short tripping wear.

Get a cheaper oil and change it sooner IMO.

Last Winter I was doing 1 mile trips each way, with a long trip on the weekend.

But, I kept the oil in there for 3,000 miles and 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Danno
My thought is use the least expensive Dexos 1 rated 5W-30 you can find, change it at 3,000 mile intervals using OEM filter. The short trips are hard on oil and motor - the more frequent changes helps flush out the acid and water build up.

Yep, my thoughts too. Short trips = short OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well
Wow, I just noticed the price at Polaris Labs to get an oil analysis that includes oxidation/nitration is $172. The simpler test without oxidation/nitration (and without TBN) is $136. Bummer. I can't spend that much for an oil analysis.

Thats for a 10 pack.

I do similar short trips in my 5.3L GM V8 truck. PP held up perfect under this short trip (4478 miles). OLM was at 29% and TBN was at 4.2 (ALS labs so will be higher value than Blackstone). I do not warm up my truck for these short trips either.

See it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...603#Post2976603

TBN seems really low for this usage.

Signature Series is their top of the line oil good for:
•Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first

Last edited:
Lot of good replies. First off this is a very good report as far as wear goes and the shape of the oil. I do think that you should tell your friend #1 Switch to another syn like PP, M1, QSUD and stick with 5k. #2 3k intervals with a conventional like PYB, MS5k etc.

I suggested a scooter or ride a bicycle to work.

2 miles is nothing

thx for the replies.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
I do similar short trips in my 5.3L GM V8 truck. PP held up perfect under this short trip (4478 miles). OLM was at 29% and TBN was at 4.2 (ALS labs so will be higher value than Blackstone). I do not warm up my truck for these short trips either.

See it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...603#Post2976603

TBN seems really low for this usage.

Signature Series is their top of the line oil good for:
•Severe Service(4) – Up to 15,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first

my buddy's commute is only 2 miles one way- that's not even enough time to come up to temp IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back