Low Viscosity doesn't have to mean low quality

Status
Not open for further replies.
In higher performance applications with lots and lots of heat like Racing or Turbo's I don't think thinner oil technology is there yet additives or not. But in the average Joe mobile I think it's more than fine, even with 0w16 in the Camry for example or Toyota wouldn't have put it out and I think running a 30wt in the Camry would be a mistake for some of the reasons they explained in the article.

Royal Purple is just OK in my books and it's over priced for what you get compared to everything else out there.
They have a bit of an identity crisis of what they are doing with their brand IMO.

45.gif
28.gif

Last edited:
Does the oil really go in purple, and pour black?

It would be more clever to go in golden amber and pour purple.

Originally Posted by PimTac
"Apparently Japan is working on 0w8 oils (End of this article)! "

Royal Purple has a 0w8 oil. (racing). This should cause some heartburn among some here.

https://royalpurpledirect.com/product/xpr-0w-8/

Good God their website is horrific. Trying to get a PDS for that to confirm that the viscosity is probably a completely different grade is extremely difficult
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Does the oil really go in purple, and pour black?

It would be more clever to go in golden amber and pour purple.

When I tried it, it does go in purple and does change to amber on the dipstick shortly thereafter and comes out black. It's quite the effect.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Good God their website is horrific. Trying to get a PDS for that to confirm that the viscosity is probably a completely different grade is extremely difficult
lol.gif

Looks like it was done in Microsoft Front Page
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
lol.gif

Looks like it was done in Microsoft Front Page
grin2.gif

That's being generous! LOL!
grin.gif

Royal Purple has a 0w8 oil. (racing). This should cause some heartburn among some here.

lol.gif

I agree. Their website is a mess trying to find anything on it.

Motul does as well: https://www.motul.com/es/en/products/hybrid-0w8

I think Japan is working with these oils to see if they are feasible and working with oil companies on the additives / make-up is what they mean.

The Motul product is a real 0w-8 (the grade was ratified in 2015) but I suspect, though my recollection may be incorrect, that the Royal Purple product is more like a 0w-12 or 0w-16. There were a number of oil companies making up grades below 0w-20 for a while and most of those products were actually 0w-20's, or 0w-16's when that grade came about, despite being marketed as way lower grades that didn't exist.

About-us section is hilarious. Nothing on the company, just why you should buy from them....

https://royalpurpledirect.com/about-us/

The whole site is a joke. It's only marginally better than SynLube's assault on the senses. If they were shooting for "credible" they vastly missed the mark.

Well if you put a 0w20 in a Honda 1.5T it turns into a 0w8 by itself so that must be the market RP is after with their 0w8.
lol.gif

Well if you put a 0w20 in a Honda 1.5T it turns into a 0w8 by itself so that must be the market RP is after with their 0w8.
lol.gif

It's the Honda Evolution. You put in 0w-20, which then becomes 0w-16, then 0w-12 and then 0w-8. If you leave it in long enough it eventually becomes indistinguishable from the substance found in the fuel tank
grin.gif

lol.gif

It's the Honda Evolution. You put in 0w-20, which then becomes 0w-16, then 0w-12 and then 0w-8. If you leave it in long enough it eventually becomes indistinguishable from the substance found in the fuel tank
grin.gif

Leave it to Honda to go 0w0 and leave every other OE in their dust.
crackmeup2.gif

It really is good info on additives and base-stock being important in lower viscosity oils to protect the same as thicker oils. It's why we see high mile engines here run on 20wt's no problem just the same as thicker weights.

True, but we can't allow clearances to frighten us away from viscosities that are totally suitable for the ambient and operating temperatures involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back