Low Road Noise Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm contemplating moving on from the Jetta. Would probably get a similar vintage econobox, really don't want to spend a lot of money. I thought our '01 Civic was loud, my '00 Saturn was certainly louder, relative to my Jetta (when it was new). My Camry though is nice and quiet; and the Tundra is dang close. I presume 10 year old Corollas are not as quiet, and I'd be better off with a Camry?

The goal would be a low purchase price plus low running cost commuter. I suspect this is one of those "you can pick any two of these three qualities" sorts of questions.

Best I can tell my truck makes a lot of sense as a weekend vehicle; it does everything I want except pass a gas station, and I do fear what the repair bills would be like if I were to really rack up the miles. I weighed out the options of downsizing the truck and getting one vehicle to replace the both: the only things that come close would either be an SUV which would likely get about the same mpg as the truck while lacking storage space, or a CUV which wouldn't come close to the towing nor vehicle space and still would not get commuter mpg (much less while towing).

I've seen 20mpg with conservative driving on the truck, and while the truck tires etc are "expensive" I'm not sure it's worth contemplating anything with less than 30mpg highway. Also, while my camper is small this year it's apt to grow in the near future. I'm guessing 2,500lb on the small side. I'm a believer in not exceeding 80% of GCWR (I don't do small trips and I live in hilly NH), so a do-all vehicle would have to have 3,500lb min tow rating. RAV4/V6, Ridgeline, Pilot, Highlander, etc -- all low 20mpg vehicles, all kinda desirable, and yet all are more of a compromise than my Tundra + one commuter. I contemplated keeping my light weight camper, but it's pretty tiny with four people (two of which who are going to double in size over the next 10 years) and my Tundra's small bed winds up being close to full as the small camper hasn't very much storage space.

I think I just want four doors, ABS and a slushbox with cruise control. I kinda prefer Toyota's, just to get harmony in the driveway, but I'll be open minded on this one. I really would like to have a quiet ride to work (hour each way). AWD would be lovely but I can do without (been doing so for years). Cannot be too old as I don't want to deal with rust and repairs.

Originally Posted By: supton
I really would like to have a quiet ride to work (hour each way).

If you want quiet, how about an Avalon? It should get around 30 mpg on the hwy if you drive conservatively.

Are you saying your Jetta is loud? Maybe it needs new tires?

I probably should have come up with a price... Under $5k. Much more than that and I'm not sure it's actually saving me money.

Edit: Jetta has definately gotten louder over the years. I had to remove several pieces of noise deadener in the fenders, as they were either causing rot, or were on their way to falling out. Right now the console is out, along with the deadener that is around the shifter; I'd put it back in but when the HVAC control thing falls out, well, it's vastly easier to put it back in with the console out. Rear tires are probably loud, due to feathering, due to a bent axle; I could get shims to fix that.

It is reasonably quiet enough for me to drive, but I'm just tired of repairing it. Right now it's tossing an legitimate EGR code because it's modified, and I'm just tired of dealing with a VW.

Last edited:
Not sure what your price range is... 4 cylinder camrys get good mileage, especially if you're trying.

The 6-7 year old corollas can pull 40-45mpg is you learn to drive them correct. I routinely got that on my wife's much heavier 2010.

A first Gen scion xb gets good fuel mileage, is bulletproof and has massive amounts of room inside.

The bad news...these are economy cars and sound like it. The good...you can sound deaden the [censored] out of it for fairly cheap. My xb was dynamatted, lizard skinned and had r35 insulation in the roof compressed. Unbolted the dash and Bedlined the backside. That thing was a tomb. Even with 3inch piping, headers, and a magnaflow, it was quiet quiet quiet.

Your easiest option is a Lexus....they get pretty cheap at about the 7-8 year old mark.

Edit just saw your price range...I'd sound deaden an xb at that price. Especially since you mentioned two kids. They are very kid friendly, have tons of room and big doors, and I can't think of a better vehicle in that price range. They are also built to take an impact, they are ridiculously safe. I was hit on the front right by a Camry doing 45-50... he tried to flee the scene and physically could not. I, and my car, could drive, though I need have it towed because of his behavior, at his expense.

Last edited:
My Mom's 03' Corolla is a nice little car. I think it's a quiet car and drives superb. Alot has to do w/the tires of course. Since you like Toyota's that's my choice. I also really like Mazda Protege's (since we own one). A sportier car w/better handling. Nothing less the 2.0 motor though. (Our 1.6 L engine is OK around town, but gutless uphills at speed.) How about a Pretege 5? Find one driven in a rust-free belt if possible. Good Luck!

I went from a 2007 Corolla to a 2011 Camry. Yes, there was a marked difference in noise and refinement between those two. My Corolla was a hard-to-find LE with a 5-speed stick. Most on the Corolla forums didn't even know they made those. I wish I still had it, really. It was a fun little car.

I've always like the Camry for quiet even older than 8-10 years old. Man, they're quiet for the money. If you want real quiet, get a BUICK but, is seem as though you like imports.

My '04 Altima 2.5S isn't as quiet as my buddy's '04 Camry 4 cyl but, the Altima is quiet just the same(at least mine is). On the highway, my Altima is quieter than my wife's '01 RX-300!!! And I thought this since new
smirk.gif

Last edited:
Ok, I looked up the xB. Ummm... I hate to be form over function, but I dunno on that one. I love love station wagons but for some reason that xB look isn't doing it for me. I guess I have to look at one in person, but the pics on wikipedia... I guess I'm not the target audience!

They look slightly better in person, but the practicality and funness definitely offset the look.

DSC00140.jpg

The interior is definitely what sold me on the car...not the boxiness.

Increasingly I want a non-fun car. No, seriously. Lately I've been taking my stress out while in the car, and it's just not a good thing. My Jetta loves being flogged. I have a few years to go until my mid-life crisis; until then I just want a car in which I can push the button and it does its thing.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
...Corolla...fun...car.

What? :)

With good tires (I had Yokohamas on it), it is one tossable little car. It only weighs 2500 pounds. The stock Bridgestone Insignia SE200 tires give up and give up soon. Put some good rubber under it and it's a sticky little chassis. And with the stick shift, you can keep the free-revving 1.8L in its powerband and have an enjoyable little ride.

You know how fun the 3rd generation CR-V is; you've said yourself how much of a personality it has and how willing it handles. Our CR-V feels a lot like the Corolla. It has the same type of reactions and behaviors. The Corolla is built on the Matrix/Vibe chassis, and is competent. It's not going to out-slalom an S2000, but it was far more neutral than I expected it to be.

Let me say this: it was a completely different car from my Camry. The Camry is what I expected the Corolla to be: wallowy, prone to understeer, unstable in faster corners, etc. The Corolla was none of those things. It was really quite pleasant to drive. I think the stick shift helped a lot. The tires made the most improvement, though.

If you're looking in the $5,000 range you might consider an Elantra. I have a 2006 Elantra that's been an extremely reliable vehicle. There's nothing fancy about it, but it consistently gets 30+ MPG on the highway (often in the 34 MPG range). It's cheap to maintain, insurance is very inexpensive, and my 2006 has no rust after 7 Iowa winters. It handles competently and takes me from point A to point B with no fuss. Maintenance is as simple as can be, the only caveat being the timing belt. I changed it the first time at about 85,000 miles and I'll change it again somewhere around 160,000. But since that's a few years between changes, it's (in my opinion) not a deal breaker.

I currently have about 137,000 miles on it. It's as quiet as any other car of it's size, but it's certainly no hushed, plush luxury car.

Elantra, hmm. I'll contemplate it. They seem to have come a long ways.

On one hand I'm tempted to go Toyota, then all three vehicles operate about the same--right now it's annoying that the wiper controls operate 100% backwards between Jetta and others. On the other hand, I'm not going to spend (much) to have that luxury.

You can make any car very quiet with one or two of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKX36B-Exp...tinger+roadkill

Will take you a weekend to dissemble and apply but its worth it. Does wonders for the stereo sound quality, OEM or aftermarket. I treated my T100 and it rolls very quiet even with all terrains.

Starting with an Avalon then adding that stuff will be quite good. Or even add it to your TDI, unless you are just done with it.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
2nd the Elantra, especially if you get the GT hatchback. Or a Kia Spectra5 (although they might not be as 'refined'). Economical and practical.

3rd. what both pop_rivit and surfstar said.
GT comes with bigger brakes, can be upgraded to sonata rotors and calipers, has a better suspension and you can basically find parts in any auto-parts-store.
also no need for really specialized mechanics.

i did sparks and wires in 15 minutes in nice clothes. (only hands dirty and REALLY taking my time)
brakes in my garage.
and i'm a computer geek...

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
They look slightly better in person, but the practicality and funness definitely offset the look.

DSC00140.jpg

The interior is definitely what sold me on the car...not the boxiness.

They're fun to toss around.... but quiet and comfortable they most certainly are not. I'd definitely recommend against an automatic in these, it's dim-witted and slow. Great car overall though.

Eh... on stock tires the ride is decent and sound deadener is cheap. As for comfort... the seats are just firm enough to not hurt your back while not being so firm as to hurt the rear.

I may have just showed my age there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back