Low cost oil under valve cover reveal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive just seen several posts over the years bragging about how (insert boutique oil yere) kept their engine clean. I was really looking for someone running supertech synthetic or harvest king to show their valve train looking like new after over 100k miles.
smile.gif

Just ti dispell that myth that it takes boutique oil to keep the valve train clean abd low varnish.

Originally Posted By: code5coupe
Cleanliness "under the valve cover" is the result of how frequently you change oil...not of what oil you use.

This pretty much nails it. Somebody who does dino oil changes consistently at 3k is likely to have a spotless engine regardless of brand.

Consistent dino oil changes at more like 5k intervals may get you a little varnish but not much more IMO.

The UOA section is awash in 5-6k full syn oil change samples the result I'd expect to be very similar.

I took these pics a few years ago at 135,000 miles. Usually about 8,000 mile OCI using store brand [Canadian Tire] Dino and or the store brand synthetic. Once I used Valvoline Synpower. Overall I'd guess synthetic was used about %25 of the time. These pics were taken in 2014, since then I've used store brand synthetic a little more often.

Later this year I'll be taking the valve cover off at 210,000 miles so more pics will be posted. I don't like the lines on the cam lobes but it runs quiet and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back