Low Cost Folding Knives

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
Anyone else here into buying/collecting inexpensive folding knives? I look for decent quality, typically made in China or Taiwan folding knives - and mostly the spring assisted ones these days. There are some pretty nice knives out there for $10 to $15.

Here's just a few of mine. All three of these were ~$10. The bottom two are pretty new and "spring assisted" The top one is old (around 2005), and is not spring assisted, I don't recall ever seeing spring assisted folding knives back then. The middle one is probably the nicest one I've found so far.

Post up a photo or two of your favorites if you're also into buying these kind of knives.

[Linked Image]

I like knives that cost more than $10 but I've never owned a flipper and picked up a Kershaw Zing on a Black Friday deal for $20. Decent knife with 3" stainless steel blade, thin steel handles, reversible clip for tip up or down carry, easy to keep sharp, blade decently centered, tight pivot, enough spring tension to keep blade protected. Not a Benchmade but not bad.
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by AZjeff
I like knives that cost more than $10 but I've never owned a flipper and picked up a Kershaw Zing on a Black Friday deal for $20. Decent knife with 3" stainless steel blade, thin steel handles, reversible clip for tip up or down carry, easy to keep sharp, blade decently centered, tight pivot, enough spring tension to keep blade protected. Not a Benchmade but not bad.
[Linked Image]

I agree. I have had several Kershaws in that price range and they have all been good values. I don't buy expensive carry knives anymore because I am too prone to loosing them.

Personaly speaking, I prefer a quality folding knife. My favorite is Spydero. If I was forced to go cheap I'd pick up the nicest folding razor blade knife I could find or order something like an Opinel or Victorinox. Spyderco actually makes a very good budget line called "Byrd." Chinese made with lesser fit and finish than their main line but still well made with good heat treats on the steel.

I have a handful of budget folding knives. The Ganzo FH21 with a D2 blade is probably my best (the one on the left). But the one that I typically EDC is the CRKT one on the right due to size.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Most recent purchase is this Ganzo cleaver:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

QP - I like that orange & black SHRADE. Is that one spring assisted? Those all look good.

Originally Posted by wymi516
I like Kershaw knives, I switch between these two for daily carry.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking good ... I like the zebra blade.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I also bought one of the Smith and Wesson "Homeland Security edition" knives in the 2005-era .... It's been a good performer.

I have also had very good luck with the "Tac Force" brand on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-PC-WHOLE...-Folding-Blade-EDC-LOT-SALE/172187938252

Yep, that S&W Urban Camo is built like a tank. Think I paid $10 at Big 5 way back when.

Speaking of Tac-Force, got this off Amazon for $10. Seen it on eBay for $9. I like the "stiletto" blade since I didn't have anything like it so what the heck. It's spring assisted and pretty decent. Aluminum handle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As far as "bang for the buck is concerned" it's probably hard to beat those little Opinel's for $15 or whatever they are; and for $50 or so it's probably hard to beat a Buck 110. I either carry a tiny Cold Steel Recon 2 on my key chain or a specially-made-for Canadian-Tire Buck "Kingsman" that "retails" for $50Cdn but goes on sale quite often for about $10Cdn.

[Linked Image from pics.knifecenter.com]

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]

A few more of my el cheapos. Top $14. Middle $7 and Bottom $10. Bottom two are spring assist, top one is a flicker.
[Linked Image]

I have a CKRT knife I got from SteepandCheap over 10 years ago

Also have a Kershaw Onion, but Kershaw doesn't make them anymore because Ken Onion is employed by CKRT

Last edited:
I have a Chinese one I bought for $20 at a gun show last year, just because I thought it looked cool. It's actually proven to be my 'go-to' knife for most things around the house since then.

Back