Louvers - Again, AMSOIL EaO filters

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, pre-install inspection with the EaO that went on the RAM 1500, had all the louvers open, but I wasn't super impressed with how open they were. Also, it was a bit loose on the threads, but seems they aren't cut very deep, as I checked the other cans and they appear the same.

I went and checked my other three and one of them has a good chunk of the louvers that are basically closed near the upper part of the can:
4907E858-60E9-431A-925E-9301EF3A34F2_1_105_c.jpeg

These are made in Mexico, FWIW.

Went and checked one of my Fleetguard filters, and the louvers are WIDE open:
IMG_3609.jpeg

@Pablo is this something we should be bringing to the attention of corporate?

Yeah ... closed louvers make me cringe. I'd let Amsoil know that manufacturing QA seems to be lacking in the louver forming department.
Pablo is my reference account and I assume he's got a lot more clout than I do, so I've tagged him in the OP, hopefully he can bring that to their attention.

Last edited:
What them would be the quality control of their other products?

What them would be the quality control of their other products?
These are produced by a 3rd party for AMSOIL, no different than Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Motorcraft, Mopar, AC Delco...etc. I assume the QC is on the supplier, but maybe AMSOIL also is supposed to do QC checks? Not sure.

Are the louvers formed on the line or is the material purchased pre-formed from a vendor?
I would say on the production line. Whoever is doing it needs to pay more attention to how they are formed IMO.

I know they are going to get shrunk here, but I'll share a couple of the better pics I took (using that sweet Camera+ app @Quattro Pete recommended to me years ago):
View attachment 107102

Versus, Fleetguard:
View attachment 107103
Yeah, some of the louvers in the 1st photo are mere hairline slits. Added delta-p you don't want - puts PD pump closer to relief. The louvers in the Fleetguard (2nd photo) aren't bad and look opened pretty good. Are the louvers all about the same narrow slits on the Amsoil over the entire center tube?

Blow-up and snip of the 1st photo.

1657259860731.png

Last edited:
That is definitely not up to the standard one would expect from Amsoil. This definitely needs to be brought to their attention. Like most small blenders, they tend to take user feedback pretty seriously.

Is this an EA047?

Like most small blenders, they tend to take user feedback pretty seriously.
That's the same filter as the Royal Purple 20-820. Save it for the purple ADBV (lol). I got rid of mine because I wasn't happy with the out-of-the-box cleanliness. I'm sure AMSOIL is aware of what it's selling. Though being caught cheapening a premium product isn't a good look. FWIW the design works, and Purolator also uses small louvers like that. But when you pay a premium for an oil filter, you expect more, or in the case of Royal Purple, you expect it to be clean, at the very least.

Yeah, some of the louvers in the 1st photo are mere hairline slits. Added delta-p you don't want - puts PD pump closer to relief. The louvers in the Fleetguard (2nd photo) aren't bad and look opened pretty good. Are the louvers all about the same narrow slits on the Amsoil over the entire center tube?

Blow-up and snip of the 1st photo.

View attachment 107104
No, some are better than others, there's a section on the upper portion of the can where it was really bad. That filter was the worst of the lot, but the openings aren't huge on any of them; aren't as open as on the Fleetguard.

That is definitely not up to the standard one would expect from Amsoil. This definitely needs to be brought to their attention. Like most small blenders, they tend to take user feedback pretty seriously.

Is this an EA047?
EaO11

Back