Louvers - Again, AMSOIL EaO filters

@Pablo contacted AMSOIL and they were very concerned and wanted the filters back. I expect to receive a prepaid label next week to get that underway. Good customer service.
Maybe they can send you some old-school Fram XG2 filters 😉🤞 /jk

So, pre-install inspection with the EaO that went on the RAM 1500, had all the louvers open, but I wasn't super impressed with how open they were. Also, it was a bit loose on the threads, but seems they aren't cut very deep, as I checked the other cans and they appear the same.

I went and checked my other three and one of them has a good chunk of the louvers that are basically closed near the upper part of the can:
View attachment 107092

These are made in Mexico, FWIW.

Went and checked one of my Fleetguard filters, and the louvers are WIDE open:
View attachment 107093

@Pablo is this something we should be bringing to the attention of corporate?
Makes me sit back and smile, knowing I’m using 1997 or newer Allied Signal Tough Guards without these “louvers”. 🇨🇦🇺🇸👍🍻

Yeah, some of the louvers in the 1st photo are mere hairline slits. Added delta-p you don't want - puts PD pump closer to relief. The louvers in the Fleetguard (2nd photo) aren't bad and look opened pretty good. Are the louvers all about the same narrow slits on the Amsoil over the entire center tube?

Blow-up and snip of the 1st photo.

View attachment 107104
I’m just guessing if some sort of “tooling or die” punches those louvers that its worn out and needs replaced. I don’t know the manufacturing background but just a thought.

OVERKILL: this is one of Bosch 3325 filters brother bought me 2 cases of. Louvers look ok don’t you agree. Made September 2018

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 130
I’m just guessing if some sort of “tooling or die” punches those louvers that its worn out and needs replaced. I don’t know the manufacturing background but just a thought.
That, and/or not setting up and maintaining the louver forming machines correctly. It comes down to people controlling the manufacturing proccess. This is where a manufacturing engineer and some continuous QA needs to be involved. Not just setup a machine and never check on what it's doing.

Of course 99.9999% of people don't know louvers exist inside an oil filter, or that they can be essentially closed. These reports of people saying their engine was making noises with a new filter should be looking to see if the louvers (if it has them) are mere slits causing the filter to be choked way down and the PD pump to be in relief, causing the oil supply to the engine to be cut way down.

Last edited:
That, and/or not setting up and maintaining the louver forming machines correctly. It comes down to people controlling the manufacturing proccess. This is where a manufacturing engineer and some continuous QA needs to be involved. Not just setup a machine and never check on what it's doing.

Of course 99.9999% of people don't know louvers exist inside an oil filter, or that they can be essentially closed. These reports of people saying their engine was making noises with a new filter should be looking to see if the louvers (if it has them) are mere slits causing the filter to be choked way down and the PD pump to be in relief, causing the oil supply to the engine to be cut way down.
If pressure drop through the filter is too high, it will bypass, so the engine still gets full oil supply, but it's not filtered.

I'm also not sure where the controlling restriction is in an oil filter. Is it in the louvers or the media?

If pressure drop through the filter is too high, it will bypass, so the engine still gets full oil supply, but it's not filtered.

I'm also not sure where the controlling restriction is in an oil filter. Is it in the louvers or the media?
If the oil filter is basically clogged (due to debris and/or very closed off louvers) and almost all the oil flow needs to go through the bypass valve, most bypass valves are pretty small and will therefore increase delta-p even more as the pump tries to force the output volume through the bypass. This can put the PD pump into relief or make a worn pump slip a lot. Of course a nearly clogged filter will cause different reactions on different engines.

If the louvers are mere slits and almost totally closed, then I'd say that is more restriction than the media. Keep in mind that there is a pressure drop across the media and then again through the center tube. All the filter component pressure drops added together equals the total pressure drop across the entire filter assembly.

This is my worries with louvers since I purchased a Wix 1040 that had the same issue. When I tore it apart and looked the other way the louvers were all open, what if this is the case only in reveres, they look ok when you look at it assembled but the bottoms are not open, the only way you can tell is to tear it apart. I think I may be done with louvers.

So, pre-install inspection with the EaO that went on the RAM 1500, had all the louvers open, but I wasn't super impressed with how open they were. Also, it was a bit loose on the threads, but seems they aren't cut very deep, as I checked the other cans and they appear the same.

I went and checked my other three and one of them has a good chunk of the louvers that are basically closed near the upper part of the can:
View attachment 107092

These are made in Mexico, FWIW.

Went and checked one of my Fleetguard filters, and the louvers are WIDE open:
View attachment 107093

@Pablo is this something we should be bringing to the attention of corporate?
"Holes, I need holes." George Constanza looking for a 120V duplex outlet for his Froggy machine.

Motorcraft used to have nice louvres (approximately pre "sticker) that were wide open and about double the "normal" size. Those I could live with.

From what we have seen in how its made videos the holes or louvres are stamped out of a roll of raw metal by a die. Then cut to size and rolled int tubes. Either a worn die or presumably incorrect clearance between the die rollers could cause malformed louvres.

Back