Louvers - Again, AMSOIL EaO filters

Update, my replacement filters did not ship from the Toronto warehouse, but rather the main warehouse, so they'll take a while to get here (still waiting on my UOA kits, coming from the same warehouse). I'll post updated pics once I have those in hand.
Indeed, this is what TS said:

I personally inspected the filters that are going out to the customer. They look fine inside the center tubes, so should not be an issue. They will be coming out of the Superior, Wisconsin distribution center, so will take a few days to arrive.

Once we get the other filters back, we can get them to Quality Assurance to start an investigation.

The AMSOIL filter for my Hyundai Tucson is $24.95.......

Not sure if it has the same center tube as this one, but if it does....no way in hell. For that money, these should be PERFECT. Even if it was perfect, are these things really worth $24.95 plus shipping? I just don't see any use for these. Not for your average motorist.

Indeed, this is what TS said:
Fantastic, thank you.

I'd like to hope that they will impose a new QC check that verifies the louvers are properly stamped going forward. People willingly pay more for these top tier filters and I think, it is reasonable, for them to expect higher levels of QC at that price point.

Well, just want to put some resolve to this, thanks to @Pablo for dealing with HO for me and getting this squared away so quickly! Replacement filters arrived today (which is surprising, as my UOA kits have NOT shown up yet?) and they are all perfect, as expected.

B495279B-3B9D-44AA-AA91-70A44847D761_1_102_o.jpeg

Well, just want to put some resolve to this, thanks to @Pablo for dealing with HO for me and getting this squared away so quickly! Replacement filters arrived today (which is surprising, as my UOA kits have NOT shown up yet?) and they are all perfect, as expected.

View attachment 108261
What do they look like on the other side, sorry I'm just a little "no louvers for me" right now.

I tried to stick a dental mirror down one and it won't fit.

Anyone know where you could get a small enough mirror?

^^^ Much better. Hopefully the closed louver concern goes up the chain and gets addressed on the production floor. That's how feedback like this should work. Should is the key word ... 😄
I have put in a suggestion for additional QC checks that address this. I think Fleetguard is clearly doing it, so I don't think it's unreasonable to have AMSOIL do it as well, given the price point.

They warehouse them, so yes, they have the ability to visually inspect them before shipping them or perhaps when receiving them.
Not smart. Too late.

This absolutely needs to be controlled at the manufacturer. If the manufacturer doesn't care to control it, then Amsoil should dump them.

I have been a dealer now coming up on 24 years.

By FAR the product quality complaints (not that many in total) I get run around filtration products easily in the 90% of total complaints. The remaining 10% are MT shift feel and that usually is a feel thing or trying a fluid not specified. The air filters and oil filters over the years, I just almost never push, frankly.

Not smart. Too late.

This absolutely needs to be controlled at the manufacturer. If the manufacturer doesn't care to control it, then Amsoil should dump them.
I agree, but AMSOIL should at least be spot checking QC upon delivery to confirm quality is being maintained. Clearly, this is an issue. I also agree with your statement there about dropping the supplier if they can't maintain adequate QC on such a high dollar part. I suspect Fleetguard would make them for them if approached, and they seem to have better QC than whomever is the supplier at present. We could ask @NashNative about that.

By FAR the product quality complaints (not that many in total) I get run around filtration products easily in the 90% of total complaints. The remaining 10% are MT shift feel and that usually is a feel thing or trying a fluid not specified. The air filters and oil filters over the years, I just almost never push, frankly.
That's depressing. I used to buy the Donaldson media air filters, when they were available. Had great service from them on our Expeditions and the universal ones on a couple of Mustang projects.

I haven't bought the EaO's in a few years because, well, the FRAM Ultra was basically the same or better performance at 1/2 the price. But, now with the Ultra turning into what's essentially a Tough Guard with bolt-ons, I've gone back to the EaO.

Just ordered a few of these - With the current goings on at First Brands , Amsoil (and Royal Purple) have an opportunity here as some of the few remaining wire backed filters IMO. Since they can't be inspected at the "store" in most cases we need to be able to have confidence the filters will be GTG.

I suspect these are both made by whatever Champ Labs is going by lately so perhaps if Amsoil leans on them they can tighten up the QC, and while I agree it should not be required I also agree Amsoil should inspect the currently warehoused ones.

The response is reassuring though.

Not smart. Too late.

Sooo not to start a whole new thread here but.....what filter do you prefer with Amsoil?

Louvers are a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, but can create its own problems that didn't exist in "old" punched hole technology.

UG, it sounds like you might know...why did louvers replace holes in filter cores? I have wondered but never knew for sure. I expect the tooling used to make louvers is less expensive to make and maintain than the same to make holes but was there something else that brought them into the industry?

UG, it sounds like you might know...why did louvers replace holes in filter cores? I have wondered but never knew for sure. I expect the tooling used to make louvers is less expensive to make and maintain than the same to make holes but was there something else that brought them into the industry?
No metal waste during production with louvers - it's just bending metal. Lots of punched hole pieces to manage with holes. Also, if louvers are formed correctly, the total flow area of the center tube will be a bit more than with holes, so that helps reduce the delta-p vs flow a little bit. If louvers are not formed correctly, then the delta-p could actually be increased, and if louvers are almost closed, that could make the delta-p so high that the filter's bypass valve may open way more than it should.

Back