Lost Heat Shield over cat, no big deal?

Aha! That explains the title of Mr Bradbury's dystopian work of long ago. If I ever knew that, I'd long forgotten.
Yes, that was the whole point of the story. Book burning and the temperature it starts at. Didn't even have to look it up. The only thing from that book that kinda came true is people's obsession with larger and larger TVs.

Yes, that was the whole point of the story. Book burning and the temperature it starts at. Didn't even have to look it up. The only thing from that book that kinda came true is people's obsession with larger and larger TVs.
It's been a long time since I read it. I went through a big Bradbury phase in my early teens. Fahrenheit 451 is very different from his soft sci-fi (The Martian Chronicles, etc.).

The firemen burned books, rather than putting out fires.

It (Fahrenheit 451) fits better with some of the other post-war dystopian works by others - Brave New World, A Clockwork Orange, 1984, etc.

There's literally millions of cars driving around in the snow and rust belt with heat shields that have fallen off or rotted away at the mounting points (and have never been replaced). The role of heat shields is to protect the interior and floor boards from heating up from the exhaust, parking over a pile of bone dry leafs with a hot exhaust is a bad idea with or without a heat shield.

I think the heatshields also reflect the catcon's heat back at the catcon, to heat up more, faster and therefore do its job of catalyzing, more efficiently.

There's literally millions of cars driving around in the snow and rust belt with heat shields that have fallen off or rotted away at the mounting points (and have never been replaced). The role of heat shields is to protect the interior and floor boards from heating up from the exhaust, parking over a pile of bone dry leafs with a hot exhaust is a bad idea with or without a heat shield.
Maybe, but some heat shields on my vehicles are on the bottom only (from the factory), do nothing to keep heat from rising.

Most of those millions of vehicles where they came off, aren't parking in tall grass or brush that is dry enough to do more than burn the contact area then self-extinguish.

Back