Losing a Pet

I'm watching Mr. Destiny and Sammy the dog (Shih Tzu?) just jumped on James Belushi. There was a a St. Bernard in this movie too.

Things like that make us happy and for those of us that have pets, yes we love them.

We like them more than people, if you're anything like me!

Back in 1998 we didn't have digital cameras at the ready in our pocket.

This is not Casey, but, I don't feel like moving the car and looking for it. Got to go to work tomorrow morning. I will always be thankful.

Casey was handsomer, anyways lol.

67508_MAIN._AC_SY400_V1600788696_.jpg

I know one day, I will wake and one of my cats will not be breathing.

I just hope I never have to watch the cat take their last breath right in front of me, like I did June 30th, 2016 at 9:36PM. He didn't want to go. But his body was weakening. :( I was home that day and I was with him in his final hours. That was rough.

Max died peacefully in his sleep.

Casey had to be eithanized.

Casey was cremated... max was buried.

Its just like when a person close to you goes. I hope they join me in eternity. Up above!

I know y'all can't see, but I am tearing up typing this. And my social media avatar is still my boy that passed away, June 30th 2016 at 9:36PM. And 2016 was a year as bad as 2020 for me .

I edited this to say that it was rough, for those of us that have to watch their pets die. That's not easy. You never know the passion that drives a person, all the love they have to give. That usually comes from a pet.

Last edited:
My brother and his wife have two kids that are grown up now. Several years ago they had a very nice golden-retriever named Simba. I would take Simba for a walk before I left my brothers house every time I visited them. Simba had a long good life but in the end she got a cancer in her leg. At first she could not go up the stairs to the second floor. Then one morning she was so out of it that my brother knew the day had come so he called off work and took her to the vet. Apparently cancer in a leg is common in large dogs.

Simba got along with everyone, even all of the neighbors and the neighbors dogs. But she had a special bond with my brothers wife. After Simba she said it was too sad and she would never get another dog.

Then one day her daughter was driving by herself at night and a dog ran out in-front of her car and she stopped before hitting it. She got out of her car and the dog got in. It is a big mixed breed but is probably more than 50 percent pit-bull. The daughter named it Zep because she was listening to led-zeppelin when it ran out in front of her. It is full grown but young. It had a chip and the previous owner is a trucker based in Florida who was in the Pittsburgh area and had it on a leash beside his truck at night and the dog chewed through the leash. The trucker said he does not want the dog back. Since my brothers family has had Zep he has chewed through two leashes, so now they have to use steel cable if they want to put him out on a leash. At first Zep was shy and afraid of everyone and everything, but after a while he came around, and is friendly with everyone, but is especially bonded to the daughter.

Pit-bulls kinda scare me, because I have heard that sometimes even a good one can develop a brain problem in there last years and suddenly attack anyone including there owners.

For now it is a big clumsy somewhat shy dog that gets along with everyone, but as I said I am somewhat concerned about what could happen when it gets old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting down a pet is hard. I've had to do that in the past with a good dog named Tasha, and once with a good cat.

My brother and his wife have two kids that are grown up now. Several years ago they had a very nice golden-retriever named Simba. I would take Simba for a walk before I left my brothers house every time I visited them. Simba had a long good life but in the end she got a cancer in her leg. At first she could not go up the stairs to the second floor. Then one morning she was so out of it that my brother knew the day had come so he called off work and took her to the vet. Apparently cancer in a leg is common in large dogs.

Simba got along with everyone, even all of the neighbors and the neighbors dogs. But she had a special bond with my brothers wife. After Simba she said it was too sad and she would never get another dog.

Then one day her daughter was driving by herself at night and a dog ran out in-front of her car and she stopped before hitting it. She got out of her car and the dog got in. It is a big mixed breed but is probably more than 50 percent pit-bull. The daughter named it Zep because she was listening to led-zeppelin when it ran out in front of her. It is full grown but young. It had a chip and the previous owner is a trucker based in Florida who was in the Pittsburgh area and had it on a leash beside his truck at night and the dog chewed through the leash. The trucker said he does not want the dog back. Since my brothers family has had Zep he has chewed through two leashes, so now they have to use steel cable if they want to put him out on a leash. At first Zep was shy and afraid of everyone and everything, but after a while he came around, and is friendly with everyone, but is especially bonded to the daughter.

Pit-bulls kinda scare me, because I have heard that sometimes even a good one can develop a brain problem in there last years and suddenly attack anyone including there owners.

For now it is a big clumsy somewhat shy dog that gets along with everyone, but as I said I am somewhat concerned about what could happen when it gets old.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Putting down a pet is hard. I've had to do that in the past with a good dog named Tasha, and once with a good cat.

Casey had cancer in three places and that last week he was alive, he couldn't really get up and he was laying in his own urine. I demanded an answer from my Dad about why he wasn't taken to the vet right then and never did get an answer. Makes me mad every time I think about it.

I don't ever want to ask him why he didn't take be dog to the vet that night because I don't want a smug, condescending answer that is probably a lie.

So, Casey was not euthanized immediately after it became clear he was in pain. And this makes me angry.

My Lilly James, Golden Retriever, loved people, everyone. Nearly 3 years, miss her dearly.

I am partial to Goldens. But I love all (nice) dogs.

I say "nice" because some people breed their dogs to fight and be mean.

My sister has a brown-nose pit that is technically a rescue.. her boyfriend found Lizzy on the side of the road left for dead and now she's the family friendly Pit Bull. Not very well behaved but she's cute.

They say you can judge the character of a man by the way he treats his pets. These are some good people who have posted on this thread. (From a dog owner, and yes, they are members of our families).

It's their house... We just live in it.

Trav, I took my English Budgie out of his room today and let him sit next to me for about 5 minutes. Then he wanted to go see his friends, so I put him back in his room lol. (Yes, they have free flight of the room. I have a huge cage, but they trust you more if you leave their cage open so they can go where they want.) He doesn't talk but he is attentive and aware.. since he is basically just a little parrot, lol.

:)

A month ago we had to put our 6 year old Male Akita to sleep, it came out of no where and was especially hard due to his age. 2 weeks later we adopted a 22 month old Male Akita from a wonderful Akita rescue in New Jersey. Having our new boy has really filled a void and we have given him a chance to live his best life.

It's their house... We just live in it.

Trav, I took my English Budgie out of his room today and let him sit next to me for about 5 minutes. Then he wanted to go see his friends, so I put him back in his room lol. (Yes, they have free flight of the room. I have a huge cage, but they trust you more if you leave their cage open so they can go where they want.) He doesn't talk but he is attentive and aware.. since he is basically just a little parrot, lol.

:)

That is cool, sure he is a little parrot same as Cockatiels, very clever little birds.

had to put my little princess down yesterday /
like a little bit more than a week ago she stopped eating so my wife went this monday to the vet with her to get her checked & x-rays taken /
vet calls in the evening & says she has a big tumor on the liver (cancer) & she's probably going to die this week /
during the last week she got so weak she hardly could walk any more (& writing that makes me cry again)
so pretty much 10 days ago we were still running through the woods & now she's gone /
that really hurts bad!
when she got the injection, she took it like she always was: stoic & brave /

she was an american akita, a little bit older than seven years /
here she is as a baby & a few weeks ago (the one on the right is her father)

Back