Loose tea

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

...your more "Britishness" is in your favor.

I don't think the Pom's or most Aussies for that matter would agree on that point Pablo
wink.gif

But yes, tea was, until the late sixties, the beverage of choice here.
We are now a nation of coffee drinkers, and it is claimed that the overall quality of espresso is second only to Italy.

Anyway, love a good tea. I really like one of the locally grown organic black teas, Nerada. Another is 'Formosan' tea, a loose leaf black tea, grown in Taiwan and blended here, and an old standby is Sri Lankan Dilmah.

Also have a Bancha/Kukicha tea that is blended locally by Spiral Foods, just not sure where the tea and twigs come from. Not the best Bancha I've ever had.

We have a few green teas in the fridge, a Dilmah one made from Chinese tea, a Japanese Sen-Cha green tea by Uji No Tsuyu, and a green blend by my current favourite coffee roasters, Toby's Estate in Sydney.

My current favourite tea is a Chai that Toby's Estate blend, but I have to go to the café for that, so I have a milder chai that I'm using here at home called Hari Har Chai, again blended here in Oz.

When I was in the Andes in Peru in June, Coca tea leaves were dirt cheap and good for what ailed the tourists.

It helps altitude sickness and supresses appetite, which is a good thing when you are adjusting to high altitude. Cusco is nearly 12,000 feet.

It doesn't taste too bad either.

I was glad I didn't have to take a whiz quiz when I got home.

Coca "tea," eh? I suppose you could call that stuff herbal tea. Reminds me, Trader Joe is selling hemp cereal. I wonder if it tastes good roasted.
tongue.gif

quote:

and it is claimed that the overall quality of espresso is second only to Italy.

Not to put you guys in your place - but what's with the bragging? I think a few folks around these parts may have something to say about that
smile.gif

(all in good fun - didn't even know you guys could operate such a machine
tongue.gif
)

tdi-Rick I went looking for "ex-press-OH" contest results on the web and came up rather empty...one in Amsterdam - but I thought there was a world wide comp.??

MarkC - I forgot there is an Uwajimaya in Bellevue!

Look up Stash Tea. They have a great website and good prices. I bought some Earl Grey and a green tea from them, both loose leaf, 100g each, about $17 including shipping from Oregon to NY.

Fantastic stuff, heck of a lot better than what you can get in the grocery store!

I gotta say I really don't like Stash teas and their web site sucks (no offense)

Teavana has 2 oz of organic Dragon Well for $9.30 - maybe OK deal - depends on quality.

I found this place, teavana, which looks pretty good. I happened upon thair physical store yesterday at tyson's corner mall in VA. They have a nice selection...

http://store.teavana.com/

JMH

"republic of tea" makes some good teas. lukily i have found a local coffee shop that sells high quality loose teas. they have at leat 20 different kinds and it is actually cheaper than buying baged teas.

anyone drink yerba matte?

Was there a 2004 and 2005 comp?

Must have been some good brew
biggthumbcoffe.gif

offtopic.gif
To be honest I have nothing against Aussies - what makes me puke are all the "Aussie" ads with built in bragging. Despite the marketing hype and political bravado most USA folks better respect a quiet strength and true greatness. I find most so called Aussie products available over here overly talked about, overly aged, overly dried, and overdone up. Wife bought some Aussie oranges yesterday. Want them back?
wink.gif
(I grew up in an orange orchard - now a parking lot - that's how dumb WE are)

Pablo,
Aussie oranges are best eaten in Oz (they are wonderful). Californian oranges (which we get here) are flavourless and dry.

OUR farmers are ploughing in 30,000 tonnes this year, and yours are going out of production...wierd, isn't it.

edit...don't get me started on products that are 50% sugar, 50% trans-fats, and all the kids want them due to product placement on sit-coms.

quote:

what makes me puke are all the "Aussie" ads with built in bragging. Despite the marketing hype and political bravado most USA folks better respect a quiet strength and true greatness. I find most so called Aussie products available over here overly talked about, overly aged, overly dried, and overdone up.

interesting comment. Sounds like how we percieve US products here.
wink.gif

I have no idea how some of our products are marketed worldwide, although any Aussie worth their salt will tell you we export Fosters 'cause no one is stupid enough to drink it here
wink.gif

As Shannow said, over 30,000 tonnes of oranges are either being ploughed in or used as cattle feed this season.
Mainly dumped juce and juice concentrate causing it from (I think) Sth America.

The total acreage of all fruit trees being ploughed in here over the last 15 years is frightening, brought on by a number of factors, including our own greed. I used to do a lot of work (refrigeration) in an apple and stone fruit growing area. Most of the farms, often operated for several generations by the one family are now gone.
In our fresh produce industry, three buyers (Supermarket chains) control 80% of the nationwide market, so they dictate price. Its not even supply and demand dependent.
One season, about 5-6 years ago, the trays were costing more than what a grower was obtaining at the market for Peaches and Nectarines, and this after a lot of growers had reduced the trees in their orchards by up to a half. The only ones I knew that were doing OK where into a niche, eg a couple of exotic fruit varieties, or the ones that picked the trend on mainstrem varieties.

The major chains have been taken to task recently over the ammount of imported fruit and vege their are bringing in, often from countries where there are few control's over the chemicals and fertilizers used, although I suspect public indignation will fizzle when they realise the locally produced item will cost them a few cents more.

Cynic, moi ?

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
I found this place, teavana, which looks pretty good. I happened upon thair physical store yesterday at tyson's corner mall in VA. They have a nice selection...

http://store.teavana.com/

JMH

My friend used to work at Teavana, their tea is of excellent quality in my opinion, if the price of whatever you are looking for doesn't bother you, get it.

I buy the "Republic of Tea" from the grocery store because it is the only loose leaf tea from the grocery store and it's decent and comes at a fair price from my local grocery store.

I also drink tea bag herbal teas, bigelow(sp?) tea is very good for tea from a tea bag. I prefer the Orange and spice and the apple and cinnamon. I also like Earth teas Chai, and Mountain Chai(I don't remember who makes it). Those herbal teas are very flavored however so you have to like that sort of tea to appreciate it. I also drink the Lipton Orange Pekoe("Lipton Brisk", the stuff everybody thinks is black tea) but thats mostly because I grew up on it and it's super cheap.

Thanks - interesting how few Italians have won! A Japanese guy 2nd - amazing. Really quite the individual talent....I'll need to study the rules and machine dependency.

tdi-rick thanks for the insight and so true - can you say "food from the other side of the equator, equates to food with no taste?" - NOT a slam at any country - just saying food should be made as local as possible and consumed locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back