Looking for Quiet All Terrains

If you want quiet then a very mild A/T is where it’s at. My top choice would be Continental Terrain Contact AT. Also consider Wrangler Adventure AT or Firestone Destination At.

A good all season might be a decent compromise. Definitely going to be quieter but will lack traction of an AT, especially on mud or wet grass. The Michelin Defender would be my choice for best in that class. Also the General Hts60 is an excellent tire for significantly less money than the Michelin. The Nitto Terra grappler will give you the look of an AT while actually being an all season. Wet grass is their nemesis though.

If you want a quiet truly capable all terrain I’d recommend the General ATx. I believe it is the best AT currently on the market. The BFG is still very good but price is high and I’ve seen multiple users have treadlife issues which were solved when we moved them into a set of the Generals. Also the Nitto ridge grappler is very quiet for an at. Has been hit or miss with treadlife. I’ve seen some sets wore out at around 20k, while others are claiming to get 60k out of a set. The Toyo AT3 is an excellent tire but I’ve had a few noise complaints on them so if you’re looking for quiet I believe I’d skip those.

Just remember ANY AT tire will absolutely require rotating every 5k if you want it to remain quiet. You can go farther between rotates on an A//S before you’ll hear them.

[QUOTE="I I and my father have some experience with them you could say, owning multiple 4x4 vehicles over 35 years between us. I think you’re the first person I’ve ever seriously heard say that the KO2 is not as loud as some AT tires. Interesting.
[/QUOTE]

If it makes you feel better, the KO2 is quieter on the same vehicle than the Toyo A/T 3. But the Toyo does have better wet traction. Same size and load range.

I'm running the Yokohama A/T G015 on the 4wd trail exploring vehicle, because I wanted QUIET, wet traction, and snow traction. No complaints so far.

If it makes you feel better, the KO2 is quieter on the same vehicle than the Toyo A/T 3. But the Toyo does have better wet traction. Same size and load range.

I'm running the Yokohama A/T G015 on the 4wd trail exploring vehicle, because I wanted QUIET, wet traction, and snow traction. No complaints so far.
To be fair, more aggressive tires are going to be louder. So someone like OP is going to have to settle for a compromise.

[QUOTE="I To be fair, more aggressive tires are going to be louder. So someone like OP is going to have to settle for a compromise.
[/QUOTE]
I believe I said that every tire is a compromise, in my first post in this thread. Which you apparently found hilarious.

Just saying...

I believe I said that every tire is a compromise, in my first post in this thread. Which you apparently found hilarious.

Just saying...
You also suggested BFG KO2s. Hence the laugh.

[QUOTE="I You also suggested BFG KO2s. Hence the laugh.
[/QUOTE]
They're also quieter than the tire you're running. Making the laugh at best, uninformed.

Falken wildpeak at3
I habe them on my Z71. I love everything about them except for the tread wear! I have just over 16,000 miles on them and Discount said I’m down to 6/32” yesterday when I had them rotated for the 3rd time. They still have great grip, wet and dry, and quiet. Just wear the tread very fast!

They're also quieter than the tire you're running. Making the laugh at best, uninformed.
How do you know what tire I’m running? Are you stalking me? And just because a tire is quieter doesn’t mean it’s better.

I'm thinking the Continentals would be just right for what I use it for.

It actually sometimes gets used as a Jeep. Most Jeeps are used like minivans and will never see dirt.

Here it is:
View attachment 75958
View attachment 75960

Yeah - that or the General Grabber look alike - there have been some good tires suggested here for my Rubicon … not for your JGC - and IMO you spelled that out in the OP …

I have Yokohama G015's on the rear of my 2wd truck. Very quiet. 3 peak rated, but not an especially aggressive tread. Previously, I had General Grabber AT's, which were fairly quiet, but nearly worn out in 12k miles.

On a past Silverado 4wd, I used Copper AT3's once. Unbelievably noisy after about 15k miles and shot by 20k. I then used 3 sets of Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's. Noise was not an issue and I got about 28-30k miles out of each set. Snow traction was quite good, I thought, for a street AT tire. A long time past, I had a set of Goodrich Long Trails in LT. I don't think that they could be worn out, but had poor traction in snow.

[QUOTE="I How do you know what tire I’m running? Are you stalking me? And just because a tire is quieter doesn’t mean it’s better.
[/QUOTE]

Okay, the tire you recommended...

The bottom line is that the tire I recommended for the OP's specific use, is quieter than the tire you recommended. Yet you felt compelled to take issue and laugh like my recommendation was ridiculous.

When that is pointed out, you get defensive...

Look at the title of this thread, he wants QUIET. But he also wants to take the vehicle on dry, desert trails. The BFG KO2 being fairly quiet, but great on dry desert trails, was the reason for the recommendation.

If QUIET were the only stipulation, he would probably just get the Michelin Defender LTX M/S, and call it a day.

Last edited:
I have these (older version) on my 4runner...in my opinion, they are as quiet as the OEM Dunlops that originally came with the vehicle...

“Designed for the most demanding off-road use”

LOL

Around 2008, a friend put a set of Pirelli A/T’s on his 2004 Tacoma and absolutely hated them. Said he couldn’t keep them balanced (they weren’t round).

That was a long time ago, though. Perhaps they’ve been improved since. Or he might have just gotten a bad set.

He switched to LTX’s and has been a happy camper since.

“Designed for the most demanding off-road use”

LOL

Around 2008, a friend put a set of Pirelli A/T’s on his 2004 Tacoma and absolutely hated them. Said he couldn’t keep them balanced (they weren’t round).

That was a long time ago, though. Perhaps they’ve been improved since. Or he might have just gotten a bad set.

He switched to LTX’s and has been a happy camper since.
I haven't seen any issues with them...had them on since 2014...still has tread, but due for a change soon.

But I agree, you can't go wrong with Michelins...you just end up paying a lot for them in most cases. Never had any on a 'truck' but had a couple of sets on some of the CUVs I've had...excellent tires...even when worn down.

I habe them on my Z71. I love everything about them except for the tread wear! I have just over 16,000 miles on them and Discount said I’m down to 6/32” yesterday when I had them rotated for the 3rd time. They still have great grip, wet and dry, and quiet. Just wear the tread very fast!
Were those the oem version or aftermarket?

I haven't seen any issues with them...had them on since 2014...still has tread, but due for a change soon.

But I agree, you can't go wrong with Michelins...you just end up paying a lot for them in most cases. Never had any on a 'truck' but had a couple of sets on some of the CUVs I've had...excellent tires...even when worn down.
Im on my 3rd set of LTX (well, the first 2 we’re LTX; this current set is “Defender LTX).

My experience has echoed yours. Dry cornering grip actually improves somewhat as the tread wears down (more rubber is presented to the road surface).

The ride stays smooth all the way to 70,000 miles (ive gotten 70K or close to it from each of the 2 previous sets on my 07 Tacoma, and the current set seems to be on its way to equaling the last 2 sets).

Ive also never had to get a rebalance, on any of the sets I’ve owned, and I haven’t exactly been perfect with my rotations (I try to do it every 10K or so).

At this point they’re so good they’re almost boring, and it has me curious to try one of the cheaper offerings (read: clones) to see how close they actually get to the Michelin quality (Continental H/T, Kumho Crugen HT51).

What are y’all’s thoughts?

Back