Quiet all terrains

We have the latest model - Trail Terrain TA - on a 4Runner. We put the tacky AF raised white letters inside.

They are quiet-ish and get good mpg. Certainly not the most aggressive AT tire. They also did well on a winter traction test, although we don’t use them in winter. 60K warranty.

IMG_1097-L.jpg

Don’t they have like absolutely the worst wet performance on tests? I know they are really quiet for such tire.

great way how to not answer the question

OP..."What AT tire should I buy"
You...here is a road tire
I took an suv with Goodyear fortitude ht tires offroading twice now, it was pretty dry so we didn't need much mud traction and the highway tires did as well on the rocks, sand, and dirt as my all terrains and my dad's duratracs. If you read the thread I linked, the Michelin tires do great offroad. Their only shortcoming is deep mud, and all the people who say you can't offroad with highway tires.

And OP said he couldn't stand a loud tire, the michelins are pretty quiet. OP also said he wanted something long lasting. Again, michelins (although some all terrains last a long time) third, he said he wanted an all terrain but he didn't say whether he would actually take it off-road

Don’t they have like absolutely the worst wet performance on tests? I know they are really quiet for such tire.
They perform perfectly fine on my Silverado. I read the tirerack stuff too and almost didn’t get them. Maybe on an SUV where you’re demanding more performance? On a pickup, they’re fine.

They perform perfectly fine on my Silverado. I read the tirerack stuff too and almost didn’t get them. Maybe on an SUV where you’re demanding more performance? On a pickup, they’re fine.
Hydroplaning or braking and handling? I generally don’t pay too much attention on hydroplaning numbers, but braking and handling for my wet performance is absolutely the most important. I was really interested in those tires for some light off road paths.

I’ve had them for a year and have had no issues with them braking or skidding in the wet. They did well in the tiny bit of snow we had last year too. The rubber is very soft! So soft you can easily push the tread blocks around. No abnormal wear though. No chunking or any tread blocks tearing. I even went to my folks in KS a few weeks ago and drove on a lot of gravel roads, they did fine. I’m not an expert, but the soft tread and sipes must help in the wet traction department.

I also believe that TireRack tested them on a sporty SUV. I’m sure they would perform well in that application. On a 4x4 pickup, they’re great.

Im looking for some good all terrain tires that arent noisy, for my F150. Ive been running some Yokohamas and while not that noisy, I cant get more than 35-40k miles out of them even with rotating every 5k. Front end is good, they wear evenly just dont get good mileage out of them. Im looking for some that are quiet and long life. Let me know your favorite brand. My size is 265/70/R17. Cant stand a loud tire on the road. Thanks
Which Yokohamas are you running? I’m running the same size Geolandar g015 on my tacoma. They aren’t noisy at all. I can’t comment on tire life.

Michelin LTX AT2 were the quietest I’ve run to date, might even have been quieter than my current Defender LTX MS as they are wearing down now getting some road noise to them.

I’ve had them for a year and have had no issues with them braking or skidding in the wet. They did well in the tiny bit of snow we had last year too. The rubber is very soft! So soft you can easily push the tread blocks around. No abnormal wear though. No chunking or any tread blocks tearing. I even went to my folks in KS a few weeks ago and drove on a lot of gravel roads, they did fine. I’m not an expert, but the soft tread and sipes must help in the wet traction department.

I also believe that TireRack tested them on a sporty SUV. I’m sure they would perform well in that application. On a 4x4 pickup, they’re great.
Snow is not of any concern. I have all cars on snow tires.
I do not think it is a vehicle issue. The performance difference is pretty drastic between that tire and its competitors. I do have on Honda (which I drive occasionally and used by mi in-laws when I visit) BFG Advantage T/A SP\port which also has wet performance issues, and while good in dry and some snow, there is A LOT to desire in wet.

I took an suv with Goodyear fortitude ht tires offroading twice now, it was pretty dry so we didn't need much mud traction and the highway tires did as well on the rocks, sand, and dirt as my all terrains and my dad's duratracs. If you read the thread I linked, the Michelin tires do great offroad. Their only shortcoming is deep mud, and all the people who say you can't offroad with highway tires.

And OP said he couldn't stand a loud tire, the michelins are pretty quiet. OP also said he wanted something long lasting. Again, michelins (although some all terrains last a long time) third, he said he wanted an all terrain but he didn't say whether he would actually take it off-road
Basically all tires will work well off road, with the divider being deep mud and wet rocks, but even mud tires dont do much in deep mud. I would not consider the LTX defender an all terrain tire.

I have ran a couple cycles with the LTX AT2 in my 3500 dually, and they are great.

Im looking for some good all terrain tires that arent noisy, for my F150. Ive been running some Yokohamas and while not that noisy, I cant get more than 35-40k miles out of them even with rotating every 5k. Front end is good, they wear evenly just dont get good mileage out of them. Im looking for some that are quiet and long life. Let me know your favorite brand. My size is 265/70/R17. Cant stand a loud tire on the road. Thanks
Try the cooper at3 xlt. Better compound for ware…

Basically all tires will work well off road, with the divider being deep mud and wet rocks, but even mud tires dont do much in deep mud. I would not consider the LTX defender an all terrain tire.

I have ran a couple cycles with the LTX AT2 in my 3500 dually, and they are great.
I would say 7/10 vehicles I see off-roading here have those tires. They are technically not off-road tire, nor Michelin calls them ATR or whatever, but it is astonishing how many people who actually off-road have them.

I would say 7/10 vehicles I see off-roading here have those tires. They are technically not off-road tire, nor Michelin calls them ATR or whatever, but it is astonishing how many people who actually off-road have them.
They are good tires for sure. To be honest, I am not sure what constitutes an all terrain tire from an aggressive all season.

They are good tires for sure. To be honest, I am not sure what constitutes an all terrain tire from an aggressive all season.
Resistance to puncture on sidewalls and resistance to chipping. New LTX (whatever the name) was specifically tested on gravel in Spain and apparently no chipping in 3,000 miles gravel test.

What type of "off roading" are you talking about and more specifically, What do you "off road"

Back