Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S - Thumbs Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Spring of 2018 we put a set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S on my grandfather's 14' Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4. So far after 15k-16k miles, I'm very happy with them.

They were the most aggressive tire I could get for the 20" wheels, which is what sold me. The only drawback is road noise, they've got a hum on the highway. Not horribly, but they're definitely not really quiet. I drove it when we first got the tires on a trip to Texas, Oklahoma, and back through southern Colorado with them and found them to be very smooth and well mannered out on the road.

Off-road, they're just awesome. We put them through their paces, and definitely don't take it easy or drive slow. Plenty of WOT on dirt roads too. The tread-life seems to be holding up really well while the sidewalls have some gouges but that's to be expected with the rugged roads we've taken it down.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Another satisfied AT3 customer. I haven't installed a set of the 4s at work yet, but my ex ran through 3 sets on her 2001 Sport Trac over a matter of about 150k miles and they were always awesome. Wore nicely, GREAT traction, and good tread life. I agree about the noise, they always did have a bit of a hum but comparing the interior noise level of a 300k mile Sport Trac to a JGC isn't exactly a fair comparison!

Oddly enough, that same ex now drives a JGC just like your grandfather's, and I just put a set of Cooper Evolution HT's on it (her's has the factory 17's, 245/70r17 to be exact. Ended up getting a set of 4, Prime shipped, for less than $500 and I mounted them myself. They all balanced out great and she absolutely loves the ride. I almost went with the 4s, but she really doesn't need something that aggressive anymore.

Last edited:
You might want to take a closer look at which tires you have. Those look like the previous generation AT3 tires, not the AT3 4S. The previous generation AT3 was a little louder than the new AT3 4S. The AT3 4S also has a better tread compound for Winter and is 3PMS certified.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
You've pinstriped grampa's Jeep! How does it do on harder stuff? Any complaints?

Definitely has some pinstriping, that's what it was bought for! It definitely goes ALOT further off-road than most people take a Grand Cherokee.

The ground clearance is it's only limitation, but it's surprisingly good. I'll go down an embankment and think it'll scrape, and nope! But it does scrape if it's too bumpy. Lots of skid plates underneath, they get used!

The 4x4 system is fantastic. It REALLY puts down the power to the wheels. The 4x4 system is far better then my XJ, other than ground clearance. My XJ has open differentials so sometimes it'll just do a one wheel peel. The Grand Cherokee motors through it.

You know the hill climbs off of the I-10 at the Hassayampa river by Tonopah? We took it up a couple of them last Sunday.

Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
You might want to take a closer look at which tires you have. Those look like the previous generation AT3 tires, not the AT3 4S. The previous generation AT3 was a little louder than the new AT3 4S. The AT3 4S also has a better tread compound for Winter and is 3PMS certified.

That but more. They don't even look like the previous AT3 to me in the pics.

I just got some AT3 4S a few months ago and do like them for what they are, but they look nothing like those pics. They're more like a standard street tire but deeper and more open treads, with the increased siping you'd find on modern all season tires, retaining the circumferential grooves for rain performance. So, they're roughly 50% street, 25% trail, and 25% winter.

The main downside to them is that the sidewall/bottom transition has offset blocks which is great for snow and mud but will be less smooth for steering in curves, unless that is the trade-off you want, which it might be since (real) SUV's aren't meant for cornering performance over off-road performance.

Last edited:
I was strongly considering them as my winter option for the venza but got a deal on conti wintercontacts and went that way instead. Obviously I dont offroad but reviews seem to show these as being a durable all weather option. Good to hear they are serving well!

[Linked Image]

Had the 4s installed last spring right after they were released. Awesome tires in dirt back roads and snow. Quiet on the roads too.

These must have similar design/rubber as my older AT/W which I use as a winter tire. They have a compound softness that's in between a true winter tire and an AT tire. When I first got these the snow & ice performance was excellent, but now after 4 seasons I feel like the compound is hardening up. Treadwear has been excellent though, which is the sacrifice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back