Looking for input on GC in a Tahoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe with the 5.3 V8. It is just coming up on mileage to take it out of warranty.

What are your thoughts on using German Castrol Edge 0w-30 in this vehicle? I know this oil isn't dexos approved, but let's be honest. This engine was around long before the dexos rating. Not for a minute do I think the engine will kaboom from using a quality oil that doesn't have the dexos rating. My concerns/questions generally are more about performance, fuel economy, cleanliness, etc. It can get pretty cold at night during the winter, and the Tahoe has to sit out at work all night before getting me home. I also tend to drive it relatively hard. Not thrashing it, but definitely not granny-style either. There are also plenty, if not mostly all, short trips (less than 5 miles).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Which oil is readily available? Short trips, spirited driving, and cold starts all combined=short oci. Also, do you drive it hard within the time frame of starting the vehicle and going to work? In the winter I use a 5w30 synthetic, with the purolator synthetic filter. I let the engine warm up for at least 2-3 minutes and baby it for at least 6-7. Mine does not like to be pushed when cold, and I don't like pushing it. It takes about 8 mins for the oil pressure to reach its lowest.

DevilsRule,

I've been taking it to the dealer, and have no idea what they use.

JGW,

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Which oil is readily available?" I have easy access to all the retailers, and can get any of the oils. But I'm specifically wanting to know if GC is a good choice in a 5.3 Tahoe. I do let the engine warm up for several minutes before heading home at night, which itself is about a 5 mile trip.

I have been trying to break the habit of going by mileage for OCI's, and instead using the OLM exclusively. Typically, that is getting me out to around 5,500/6,000 between oil changes.

I don't think GC is a bad choice for this engine and in the summer it's likely a great option but in the winter it might be a little thick at start up,but with short trips fuel dilution may be an issue so overall,winter running conditions considered GC would work well.
Personally for winter I'd try to find whatever 5w-30 syn walmart has on rollback and use it but that's just me,and I'm a oil hoarder.
Give it a shot. Do a uoa just to get an idea of how it's working out for you perhaps.

I have a 2003 Tahoe with a 5.3 and have done several oil changes with GC. No issues. Ran smoothly, no noticeable change in mileage, no significant metal filings on drain plug. Didn't get a UOA.
GC is still a fine quality oil, and while probably a tad thicker than what the 5.3 needs, I'm sure would work well for you.

In that case, why not use a dexos approved oil, such as PP or M1? GC will be fine, in light of the fact any oil in the appropriate grade will be fine in this engine. My engine is not picky when it comes to oil, as long as you never run it dry, the engine should outlive you.

Thanks doc. Did you ever notice if the engine sounded quiter/louder than it did when using another oil? How about the oil pressure? Any change with that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back