Looking for a Stout 5w-30 Dino with High-ish ZDDP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant seem to find any 5W-30 tractor/fleet/small engine HD oil other than Briggs and Stratton 5w-30 snowblower oil at 8 bucks a quart. Any suggestions or finds? - I'm not looking for a 10w-30. I also dont want a SM/ GF4 low saps EC oil.

I'm not sure such a thing exists. I'd probably use PP or Maxlife if I was set on a 5w30 or else add a little STP.

Pardon my ignorance but what does 'saps' stand for?

Check out Rotella. I used to buy it in 5 gallon pails at
farm/fleet stores or at truck stop service centers at unheard of
low prices per quart and used it in my cars, motorcycles and
lawnmower. Although it's primarily marketed as a diesel oil
it also carries an API gasoline rating and works very well
in gas engines. They have recently changed their formulas
but I'll bet you can find one that fits your needs.
I got turned on to the T-syn 5-40 by the motorcycle
community years ago..I figured if it works well in
150HP, 1200cc high compression engines with shared
gear boxes it'll work well in my Infinity, Goldwing
Mercury, Honda, and lawnmower as well...and it has.
Good luck

low prices per quart (around $3/quart) and used it in my cars, motorcycles and lawnmower. Although it's primarily marketed as a diesel oil it also carries an API gasoline rating and works very well in gas engines.

They have recently changed their formulas
Good luck

Originally Posted By: JonfromCB
low prices per quart (around $3/quart) and used it in my cars, motorcycles and lawnmower. Although it's primarily marketed as a diesel oil it also carries an API gasoline rating and works very well in gas engines.

They have recently changed their formulas
Good luck

+1

Well, after re-reading the original post I think we have all missed the boat. Arco is looking for a DINO 5W-30 with high zinc and phos numbers. We will have to beat the bushes for this one.

Just my worthless opinion, but I think you should be looking for an additive that has high ZDDP. Finding a dino oil with high ZDDP might be a little tricky.

Anybody (besides me) have some leftover SLOB?

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Arco, what is the application? Amsoil makes a great 5W-30 diesel oil.

+1

Why so against 10w-30? WOuld you rather give up some ZDDP or some low-temp viscosity?

Well, there's always Brad Penn 0W30. It is a synthetic blend that does have high ZDDP levels. I've seen it in the $5 and change range per quart.

I'm afraid that 5W30 + Dino + High ZDDP might be a hard creature to find.

I use rotella T 10w-30 in everything till late fall. Great stuff. I think the Oil co's agreed with the auto manufacturers to pull all mid saps PCMO 5w-30 off the market. Maybe I dont need a 5w-30 as much as my Toyota dealer SAYS I need it for warranty. I have VR1 10w-30 syn and Mobil 1 HM 10w-30 in my stash but feelin the most love for dino juice right now. Any OTC "zinc-up" at common New England autoparts stores Like pep boys or autozone?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DieselTech
How much are you looking for?
Just 1 gallon. thanks, DT, it sounds like you have a stash of old school stuff(?) - but Im really want to walk into a parts or tractor sales store within 20 miles of my log cabin and buy it of the shelf this week.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If your looking at this for your Yaris there is no need for a high zddp oil. Just pick your favorite dino 5W-30 and go for it.
Oh but only the Rotella gave it the "well lubed and protected" feel. Any fave HM 5w-30 that give this magic velvety-purr engine feel? In my fat polish head I'm equating this feel with mid HTHS and MID saps. Missing either dont work!

Try some Valvoline Maxlife HM 5W-30 or some Pennzoil or QS HM oils in 5W-30. They all have a higher VI than standard 5W-30 oil. Might just be the ticket for you.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott
Well, there's always Brad Penn 0W30. It is a synthetic blend that does have high ZDDP levels. I've seen it in the $5 and change range per quart.

I'm afraid that 5W30 + Dino + High ZDDP might be a hard creature to find.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back