Looking for a mid sized MPG friendly sedan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Throt
Used Sonata's are pretty cheap (cheaper than I'd like honestly, degrades my resale value). Nick1994 picked a nice one up for cheap a while back, which is what I wish I had done vs. the debt on a new one. Oh well, live and learn.

NO WAY. Not the newer ones,Sonata 2009 -well who knows where it’ll end. Check the forums they are still dying even post 15 year. 2,4 &2,0 Theta are all suspect junk DI engines. Sure they’re cheap the engines love to blow after the dreaded ticking. 10 year 100k mile warranty because they got sued. It goes way beyond the recall . Typical total engine destruction typically 100-120k and a whole lot before that. It appears to affect some of the Korean made Kias made in Korea not just Alabama. One Hyundai mechanic said last year theiy replaced about 80 Sonata engines at his dealership. That about says it all right?
ELANTRA same thing garbage Theta 1,8 DI starting down the same road but no recall YET though odds are it’s coming from the look of things when enough just out of warranty denials pile up enough. I expect to see a lot of deals on both of thes all over the place soon. Both of our will be there too within a year or so,, one with a new engine at 46000.
mad.gif
. Be my guest .....
Ahh since starting my recent quest for my daughter to replace her POS I start to stumble upon that thing which I’ve avoided like the plague just from the rumors the CVT tranny. No real brand discrimination here, from a long term reliability standpoint they all suck. Nissan above and beyond the far worst. The rest seem to like to die around 60 k. They cost $5k too and you can’t rebuild them because they grenade when the belts or metal chains whatever break which is what they do with amazing regularity . They like their maintenance too with 20 K oil and filter changes with their special oils running around $200 and up.
shocked.gif
Workable for the 2 year new car trader but a disaster for that second car.
If you are looking for a GOOD dependable any car but especially a second hand one tread very carefully. It’s looking like it’s shaping up to ba a truly terrible time to be car shopping. Take the time , read the commentaries and reviews like I have at great length. Remember, ANYTHING HYUNDAI / KIA WITH A THETA. ANYTHING WITH CVT. Don’t get suckered in by that fantastic mileage of CVT, weigh the savings vs the problems. Sadly that leaves pretty slim pickings until maybe someday someone figures out how to make CVT s last.

Well I'm switching gears here boys, probably going to go new. Looking at the 2018 Accords.

Used Sonata's are pretty cheap (cheaper than I'd like honestly, degrades my resale value). Nick1994 picked a nice one up for cheap a while back, which is what I wish I had done vs. the debt on a new one. Oh well, live and learn.

I just did this myself (CPO). I can't believe the value I got for the $. This definitely makes it a great car to buy used, at least while the perception lags reality. Important to note that the 10/100k warranty doesn't carry over unless its CPO.

Quote:
OP, keep in mind the 2.4 used in the Sonata had a major flaw from the factory. Not all were affected of course, but some were not manufactured properly and developed rod bearing failures prematurely killing the engine. This literally just happened to a co-worker of mine this past week.

IIRC, this affects the 2011-2014 model years. 2015+ should be resolved.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Driz

NO WAY. Not the newer ones,Sonata 2009 -well who knows where it’ll end. Check the forums they are still dying even post 15 year. 2,4 &2,0 Theta are all suspect junk DI engines. Sure they’re cheap the engines love to blow after the dreaded ticking. 10 year 100k mile warranty because they got sued. It goes way beyond the recall . Typical total engine destruction typically 100-120k and a whole lot before that. It appears to affect some of the Korean made Kias made in Korea not just Alabama. One Hyundai mechanic said last year theiy replaced about 80 Sonata engines at his dealership. That about says it all right?
ELANTRA same thing garbage Theta 1,8 DI starting down the same road but no recall YET though odds are it’s coming from the look of things when enough just out of warranty denials pile up enough. I expect to see a lot of deals on both of thes all over the place soon. Both of our will be there too within a year or so,, one with a new engine at 46000.
mad.gif
. Be my guest .....
Ahh since starting my recent quest for my daughter to replace her POS I start to stumble upon that thing which I’ve avoided like the plague just from the rumors the CVT tranny. No real brand discrimination here, from a long term reliability standpoint they all suck. Nissan above and beyond the far worst. The rest seem to like to die around 60 k. They cost $5k too and you can’t rebuild them because they grenade when the belts or metal chains whatever break which is what they do with amazing regularity . They like their maintenance too with 20 K oil and filter changes with their special oils running around $200 and up.
shocked.gif
Workable for the 2 year new car trader but a disaster for that second car.
If you are looking for a GOOD dependable any car but especially a second hand one tread very carefully. It’s looking like it’s shaping up to ba a truly terrible time to be car shopping. Take the time , read the commentaries and reviews like I have at great length. Remember, ANYTHING HYUNDAI / KIA WITH A THETA. ANYTHING WITH CVT. Don’t get suckered in by that fantastic mileage of CVT, weigh the savings vs the problems. Sadly that leaves pretty slim pickings until maybe someday someone figures out how to make CVT s last.

Truly terrible times to shop for cars ever since they discontinued the Crown Vic...

Originally Posted By: JDM396
Well I'm switching gears here boys, probably going to go new. Looking at the 2018 Accords.

LOVE how they look, I'm sure they drive great too. Just be aware of the fuel delusion on the 1.5 turbo's. Not sure if the 2.0 turbo is affected.

Originally Posted By: JDM396

Why not a leftover '17? The K24 is a much better engine for a midsize car that doesn't run out of steam at 5.5k rpm like the 1.5t. Both my father and father in law have Accord Sports 6 speeds and they are fun to drive. They pull quite nice up to its almost 7k rpm redline.

This is all of course not the case unless you're planning to go with 2.0t which is the only way to go with an '18 imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back