Looking for a car for the kid, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Pls get him something safe. You cant buy another child.

http://www.informedforlife.org

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicles-for-teens

I would also suggest this. Get the safest thing you can afford. I know my 8th gen civic was rated very well for its class. 8th Gen was 2006-2011.

Saabs and Volvo's are known for their safety as well. Maintenance may not be great depending on model, but I'd want my kid in something that could take a texting SUV hitting it.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
Originally Posted By: Speak2Mountain
Pls get him something safe. You cant buy another child.

http://www.informedforlife.org

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicles-for-teens

I would also suggest this. Get the safest thing you can afford. I know my 8th gen civic was rated very well for its class. 8th Gen was 2006-2011.

Saabs and Volvo's are known for their safety as well. Maintenance may not be great depending on model, but I'd want my kid in something that could take a texting SUV hitting it.

The key point is rated well for it's class. Not a good car for a kid who has a 2-3 times risk of being in an accident. 90's cars are also horrible, newer cars have multiple airbags, heck mine has 8. The 90's probably just had ABS if that, but newer cars would have ABS, traction control and stability control.

And yet most of lived through owning 70s and 80s vehicles with no ABS and seatbelts. Something about the fear of death makes you a good driver. And yes there were 18 wheelers, SUVs, and trucks then too. We had distractions like the radio, Cassette player, and CD's. Our texting was our friends doing stupid [censored] in the car.

Yet we all came out fine. Not saying get the kid one of those heaps but anything relatively modern is a step up.

Originally Posted By: CKN
The fascination with Crown Vics on this board is quite frankly unbelievable.

Yea-I'm sure that his daughter would want to drive one of those dinosaurs.

"Look!" "Here comes Sally-her car looks like an under cover cop"!

Yeah-I'm so sure she would enjoy that.

One guy I knew in high school had one of these in the late 90's.

And my cousin had one of these, her friends bought her a captains hat.

They aren't cool cars that their rich parents bought for them, but they did the job.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

They aren't cool cars that their rich parents bought for them, but they did the job.

Man I love those! Especially the New Yorker!

Originally Posted By: itguy08
And yet most of lived through owning 70s and 80s vehicles with no ABS and seatbelts. Something about the fear of death makes you a good driver. And yes there were 18 wheelers, SUVs, and trucks then too. We had distractions like the radio, Cassette player, and CD's. Our texting was our friends doing stupid [censored] in the car.

Yet we all came out fine. Not saying get the kid one of those heaps but anything relatively modern is a step up.

Well only a certain percentage of teens are killed each year, I think in 2015, about 2333 teens were killed in auto accidents, but 221,000 were treated in emergency departments. The others not in that group came out fine. So a certain percentage of people made it fine, and another set were killed/injured. Teens in general are 2-3 times more likely to be in an accident than older drivers.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

The point being do you think his daughter would like to be seen in one of these?

Likely not.

I drove a Ford Galaxy in high school. Why? Because these things were cheap with high miles on them.

Last edited:

The point being do you think his daughter would like to be seen in one of these?

Likely not.

Is that a concern for a parent who is kindly buying their child a car?

Likely not.

The kid is entitled to nothing. I'd be happier than pigs in **** if my parents had purchased and given me a car no matter what it was.

If you give your kid a car and they can't appreciate it because they "won't be seen" in it, the kid has bigger problems.

Originally Posted By: emmett442

Likely not.

Likely not.

The kid is entitled to nothing. I'd be happier than pigs in **** if my parents had purchased and given me a car no matter what it was.

If you give your kid a car and they can't appreciate it because they "won't be seen" in it, the kid has bigger problems.

I gave all my kids cars. They were my ex-business cars-so they were pretty darn nice. You know what? My three boys are some of the hardest working guys you will ever meet. So yea-tell me how I spoiled my kids.....

My son loved the 2002; Katy Perry's Teenage Dream video was released just as he started driving it to school. The video featured a friend's 1600 Baur Cabriolet, and even though the Cabrio was worth much, MUCH more than my '02, there was enough family resemblance that his classmates thought it was way cool to ride in his "Teenage Dream" car.

This thread has turned funny. I recall listening to Click & Clack on NPR one Saturday. A young college girl was describing the problem with her car. They could not stop laughing when she told them it was a Buick Roadmaster wagon. One of the brothers replied "a bigger beast there never was". Ah, but she loved it, it was free from her parents and happy to have it.
I'm partial to the Volvo 240s. In their day, safety of other makes was judged against this car. The last two things on this earth will be cockroaches and Volvo 240s. You really have to go out of your way to kill one.

Originally Posted By: emmett442

Likely not.

Likely not.

I gave all my kids cars. They were my ex-business cars-so they were pretty darn nice. You know what? My three boys are some of the hardest working guys you will ever meet. So yea-tell me how I spoiled my kids.....

Well aren't you a clever one, moving the goal posts.

I didn't say giving your kid a car was spoiling them or that it defines their work ethic - I said that if you give them a car and they can't appreciate it, they're spoiled.

Those are two very different ideas. Stay with me here. No need to try to justify or defend your decisions based on my opinion. Your insecurity floweth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back