Looking for a car for the kid, Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Go on craigslist with your son and see what sparks his interest...

You are competing with the field workers for reliable used cars. No matter where you look around us.

Once in a while something comes up in Monterey ...

In SF you will get dot.com hand me downs, but they can cost to fix...

Anywhere there is AG work, you are competing with AG workers who are all looking for what you are looking for ...

Find four or five car/SUV's he's interested in and get with the program. Go together on test drives. Listen to his comments.

The best search areas for us are greater Sacto area and Vaccaville/Fairfield. Lots of commuters into the Bay Area so they rack up the miles w/o much real wear. Yeah, it's a tough outing going through Bay Area traffic to go see a car, but it's bonding time. AND, if he won't go for a 2 hour ride to see a car, you don't need to consider it ...

I'd be looking at 1990's stuff. But make sure he's got some skin in the game, or it will be abused and left on the side of the road dead ... I speak from personal experience - mine to my folks, and the boy to us years ago ...

The safety talk presupposes that he'll wreck it. Prolly true. But there are two ways to deal with that, crumple zones and mass. A wrecked 1990's Chevy PU will absorb a lot and stay intact. So will a Saab. You can prolly fix the Chevy. The Saab will be gone to the wreckers for sure. Once modern stuff is bent, it's toast. Older SUV's - not so much
smile.gif

I will happily take my chances in my 88 Big Bronco vs any Corrola/Civic out there ... Ditto the F-150
laugh.gif

Old heavy vehicles built when gas was cheap are a horrible recommendation. We have a 97 sierra with a 305 that I'm pretty sure gets single digit mpg but it has a 100 litre tank. I think the old "bigger is better" argument is weak when you consider that new cars are often heavier than old ones because of the added structure and systems to make them safer. There's that video with the 59 chevy going head on with a modern car and getting absolutely crushed.

I think that involving him that much in the decision is not that good of an idea. Who cares what he thinks, he has never driven before. What good would his opinion be on anything other than looks? He'll drive anything just to have wheels. A two hour car trip seems like nothing, but when this is the 5th two hour car trip and both of them are tired of wasting an evening/weekend day to look at some stupid car that is nothing like the seller claims is going to anger both of them and cause resentment.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Giving your kid a car LOL. When I got my first car I bought it. It must be great being a spoiled brat these days.

I remember those days. I was rather proud to get mine, off the sweat of my brow (well, I was a bag boy at a grocery so perhaps not so much sweat). But my kids, I'll gladly buy them beaters, just for my sanity--getting tired of busing them around, from one after school activity to another. Not only that but I suspect it's all the harder to find appropriate teenager work these days, but that's a discussion that veers off into politics. Needless to say, if the wife and I keep living in the sticks, then a car is all but required to get to any sort of a job--becomes a chicken&egg sort of thing.

Will say, I'd much rather give to my kids a car than have them sign up for a loan.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Here's what kids' first cars should be:

I can't quite tell what this is, but I think it's a G body, and I probably would have loved to have that "given" to me as a kid. As long as it wasn't a 200-229 that is. A 305 would have been fine--and would have taken all the parts that my teenage income would have taken.
wink.gif

Heck, I'm not sure I'd turn one down today, assuming it wasn't rotted out. Stepping back in time into my '99 I was reminded that A/B/C pillars weren't always Greek column sized.

Just hope and pray when you bring him home his very first set of wheels,you don't get this reaction haha
laugh.gif

Kid, be careful with that bat...it's worth more than the truck!
;^)

Giving your kid a car LOL. When I got my first car I bought it. It must be great being a spoiled brat these days.

+1

I had to save for mine so I could buy it at 16. Taught me a lot about responsibility.

Nobody EVER bought me a vehicle, EVER!
I bought both of my kid's first vehicles and told them that if they totaled (their fault), trashed, or neglected maintenance which caused a fatal end-of-life breakdown event, their next vehicle was on them. I taught them how to check the fluid levels and tire pressure/condition, and emphasized the importance of checking them regularly. I also instructed them to turn off the music and just listen to the car once and awhile. Unfortunately, both of them totaled their cars within the first year of driving (it doesn't take very much damage to total a cheap car). I stuck to my guns and they had to purchase their own cars after that (although I think that their mother helped them out). They didn't wreck the cars that THEY bought.

Coincidentally my first car was just about the same amount of money as I had in my savings account from mowing lawns all summer! So my Dad may have subsidized me a bit, but there was a lot of my sweat and tears in that money. Thus I took better care of the car.

I raised 3 children as a single Dad and all are productive members of society. I did not buy any of their cars, ever. Every kid they knew in school with the nice new car from his parents wrecked it IIRC...

Meh, just purchased my oldest an Volvo V50. Good, safe, proven. I bought my first car as well, she’s a good kid who deserves it and fully understands that with 4 siblings we will only be able to help with any schooling, but can give her mobility. She will have to maintain it, insure it and pay for gas. She also understands that if she wrecks it, she pays.

I’ll handle maintenance for the first few years, but she will take it over. There’s nothing wrong with helping them when you can, if the understand.

I bought my first few cars mowing yards. It's 100% correct that if you work for it and pay for it yourself,you'll treat it like gold!! Back in the days when I drove embarrassing beaters because that's all I could afford,I kept them spotless and impeccably maintained.

Originally Posted By: supton
Here's what kids' first cars should be:

I can't quite tell what this is, but I think it's a G body, and I probably would have loved to have that "given" to me as a kid. As long as it wasn't a 200-229 that is. A 305 would have been fine--and would have taken all the parts that my teenage income would have taken.
wink.gif

Heck, I'm not sure I'd turn one down today, assuming it wasn't rotted out. Stepping back in time into my '99 I was reminded that A/B/C pillars weren't always Greek column sized.

1977 Nova
laugh.gif
My best friend had that exact same car,color and all! His was the V8. I think it had somewhere between 200,000 and 300,000 miles on it. I remember towards the end,it burned so much oil that if you were standing next to the exhaust and he started it up,your leg would get sprayed with oil haha.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Go on craigslist with your son and see what sparks his interest...

You are competing with the field workers for reliable used cars. No matter where you look around us.

Once in a while something comes up in Monterey ...

In SF you will get dot.com hand me downs, but they can cost to fix...

Anywhere there is AG work, you are competing with AG workers who are all looking for what you are looking for ...

Find four or five car/SUV's he's interested in and get with the program. Go together on test drives. Listen to his comments.

The best search areas for us are greater Sacto area and Vaccaville/Fairfield. Lots of commuters into the Bay Area so they rack up the miles w/o much real wear. Yeah, it's a tough outing going through Bay Area traffic to go see a car, but it's bonding time. AND, if he won't go for a 2 hour ride to see a car, you don't need to consider it ...

I'd be looking at 1990's stuff. But make sure he's got some skin in the game, or it will be abused and left on the side of the road dead ... I speak from personal experience - mine to my folks, and the boy to us years ago ...

The safety talk presupposes that he'll wreck it. Prolly true. But there are two ways to deal with that, crumple zones and mass. A wrecked 1990's Chevy PU will absorb a lot and stay intact. So will a Saab. You can prolly fix the Chevy. The Saab will be gone to the wreckers for sure. Once modern stuff is bent, it's toast. Older SUV's - not so much
smile.gif

I will happily take my chances in my 88 Big Bronco vs any Corrola/Civic out there ... Ditto the F-150
laugh.gif

Old heavy vehicles built when gas was cheap are a horrible recommendation. We have a 97 sierra with a 305 that I'm pretty sure gets single digit mpg but it has a 100 litre tank. I think the old "bigger is better" argument is weak when you consider that new cars are often heavier than old ones because of the added structure and systems to make them safer. There's that video with the 59 chevy going head on with a modern car and getting absolutely crushed.

I think that involving him that much in the decision is not that good of an idea. Who cares what he thinks, he has never driven before. What good would his opinion be on anything other than looks? He'll drive anything just to have wheels. A two hour car trip seems like nothing, but when this is the 5th two hour car trip and both of them are tired of wasting an evening/weekend day to look at some stupid car that is nothing like the seller claims is going to anger both of them and cause resentment.

A couple of things,

First of all I do appreciate ALL the responses. There is nothing like a sanity check in this insane word we live in. I prefer to keep the mileage under 130k. Things just start failing after a certain point no matter what brand. I basically work full time, run a part time business, have rental property in the Sierra's, and I am my own contractor and mechanic for the most part. I don't want a vehicle that I constantly have to wrench on. The kid is involved, but have the final say. I don't mind driving to Sacramento, south to Bakersfield or SLO, and live by Monterey. I'm looking, but not in a hurry. I did see a Corolla with 101k so I'm looking at that right now. I also saw a 1999 Ranger 4x4 5spd with 85k. I'm trying to keep it
Again, Thanks for all the responses. I'll post when I find the next possible vehicle.

Don't wait too long. From a buyer's perspective, now (Feb-March) is the best time of the year to buy a used vehicle. When you get into April and May you will start running into a lot of competition for the same price range of vehicle that you are interested in (because of the upcoming end of school year, graduations, and income tax returns).
There are 3 times of the year where the demand for low-priced used vehicles is very high, the April-June graduation season, late July-August back-to-school season, and November-December Christmas/graduation season. The pickings get slim and the prices go up during these times of the year.

Last edited:
A few personal opinion for my Hollister neighbor here:

1) Why stick shift? They aren't always more reliable than automatic these days, I'd say an Aisin automatic is going to be more reliable most of the time than a stick shift in traffic, at least you won't burn your clutch too soon or break the shaft (2 girls I know did that when they drove stick for their first car).

2) You want a boring reliable low HP car for teen, don't let them get a V8 or V6, no CrownVic, no SUV (harder to control, more likely to hit something or someone else), compact to mid size is better. There's a reason driving school use Corolla instead of CrownVic or SUVs.

3) There is a reason why some cars keep their value sky high while others don't. We don't have rust in Hollister and we tends to keep cars till 200k before we send them to Mexico, unless they are totaled, the price reflect that.

If I were you I'd pick an automatic Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Scion, etc, or pay a bit more for a slightly newer car. 3k vs 6k may sound like a lot but you open up a lot more selection and you will be much happier with your choices over the next 5-10 years maintaining it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
A few personal opinion for my Hollister neighbor here:

1) Why stick shift? They aren't always more reliable than automatic these days, I'd say an Aisin automatic is going to be more reliable most of the time than a stick shift in traffic, at least you won't burn your clutch too soon or break the shaft (2 girls I know did that when they drove stick for their first car).

2) You want a boring reliable low HP car for teen, don't let them get a V8 or V6, no CrownVic, no SUV (harder to control, more likely to hit something or someone else), compact to mid size is better. There's a reason driving school use Corolla instead of CrownVic or SUVs.

3) There is a reason why some cars keep their value sky high while others don't. We don't have rust in Hollister and we tends to keep cars till 200k before we send them to Mexico, unless they are totaled, the price reflect that.

If I were you I'd pick an automatic Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Scion, etc, or pay a bit more for a slightly newer car. 3k vs 6k may sound like a lot but you open up a lot more selection and you will be much happier with your choices over the next 5-10 years maintaining it.

Thanks for the input. I'm not adverse to an automatic, just the high mileage ones or the problematic ones. I'll probably have to open up the purse strings a bit, just not right now. I have some work at the cabin that has to get done. I also have a lot of work coming in for my business next month, but I will not get paid for 45 to 60 days for it.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Lol - a Crown Vic is pretty boring and tame, I promise you. It's a V8 that makes 4-6cyl power AND it's geared down, it's heavy, it has 4 doors, it looks like the grandpa cruiser it is, and overall is totally uncool. It's not any easier to get into trouble with a Crown Vic than it is a Corolla, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Mercury, Scion, etc.

Not saying Crown vic is the answer (I think there are better options), just felt that I had to clear that up. If you want something boring and low HP, it's quite capable of that!

In 2011 my sixteen year old son drove my 1975 2002; no electronic nannies of any sort, but I did install new 3-point seat belts and made sure that the drivetrain, brakes and suspension were in excellent shape.
More importantly, I sent him to the two-day teen school at the BMW Performance center as well as the one day Street Survival course.
Despite the pronouncements of doom from the hand-wringing bed wetters he survived just fine.
If I was looking for a first time car for a teenager today I'd consider a Civic, Golf, Mazda3 or similar if I wasn't a gearhead/DIY type. Since I am I'd probably put him/her in an E46 or E90 3er or an E83 X3.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I sent him to the two-day teen school at the BMW Performance center as well as the one day Street Survival course.

Kudos! More people should do this.
About 6-7 years ago a "Teen Xtreme Driving Class" opened near me. They have a closed course private track and cover the core dynamic elements of car control, skid control/prevention, braking, emergency braking, driving focus, accident avoidance, driving line (entry, apex, exit), trajectory and rotation, weight transfer, and precision driving. The participants use their own vehicles for the course and are taught how to perform a safety/maintenance inspection on it. At only $450, it is a bargain! I wish they were around when my kids started driving, I ABSOLUTELY would have sent them.

Last edited:
The fascination with Crown Vics on this board is quite frankly unbelievable.

Yea-I'm sure that his daughter would want to drive one of those dinosaurs.

"Look!" "Here comes Sally-her car looks like an under cover cop"!

Yeah-I'm so sure she would enjoy that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The fascination with Crown Vics on this board is quite frankly unbelievable.

Yea-I'm sure that his daughter would want to drive one of those dinosaurs.

"Look!" "Here comes Sally-her car looks like an under cover cop"!

Yeah-I'm so sure she would enjoy that.

Haha put a grill guard on the front,window tint,a spotlight,and some moon hubcaps
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back