Looking for a 10-20 ft-lb 3/8" TQ Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
sorry, that is the wrong one for spark plugs. that will increase the probability of stripping threads than doing it by your hands.

Come on Mike, you have done enough wrenching on many vehicles to know that you have "calibrated" hand and really don't need to rely on the torque wrench for installing spark plugs.

If you want to use a torque wrench, get a 1/4 inch-lb one and NOT the 3/8 75ft-lb one.

I see your point, but the beam torque wrench is supposed to be accurate on its entire scale of 0-75 ft-lbs (unlike a click-type torque wrench).

So in theory, it should be just fine for the 13 ft-lbs that I need for the spark plugs I am doing next week.

Or, is there another issue in practice that I am not aware of?

Thanks.

Or just follow the recommendation on the spark plug manufacturer's site something similar to 1/4 turn after it stops spinning and don't use full hand on the ratchet.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Vikas
sorry, that is the wrong one for spark plugs. that will increase the probability of stripping threads than doing it by your hands.

Come on Mike, you have done enough wrenching on many vehicles to know that you have "calibrated" hand and really don't need to rely on the torque wrench for installing spark plugs.

If you want to use a torque wrench, get a 1/4 inch-lb one and NOT the 3/8 75ft-lb one.

I see your point, but the beam torque wrench is supposed to be accurate on its entire scale of 0-75 ft-lbs (unlike a click-type torque wrench).

So in theory, it should be just fine for the 13 ft-lbs that I need for the spark plugs I am doing next week.

Or, is there another issue in practice that I am not aware of?

Thanks.

The problem with beam types is that they have to be positioned to where you can constantly observe the scale. That's not always possible when the fastener or in this case a spark plug is in a challenging spot ... say on the firewall side of a V6 motor. This is not an issue with the micrometer or split beam torque wrenches which provide a tactile and sometimes audible feedback once desired torque is reached.

If you don't believe me, watch some of the good videos posted by RichPin or Eric (I am sure there are few more) and see how they tighten the spark plug. Don't "grunt" in tightening them, you should be OK.

I used click type inch-lb wrench when I had to take off the intake plenum on Odyssey but only because there were bunch of them which needed to be tightened with little variation. For spark plugs, I don't. And you have lot more experience in wrenching than I do!

Hey guys, as an update I just ordered a brand-new CDI 2502MRMH 3/8" drive torque wrench this morning. It has a range of 30-250 inch-lbs. Paid $97 shipped for it.

I did purchase a Craftsman 3/8" in-lb torque wrench but did not like the feel or quality of it, so I'll be returning it.

Thanks again for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back