Looking for a 10-20 ft-lb 3/8" TQ Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats not my top choice... because youre working in the lower part of the range of operation, which is less accurate. Is there a 3/8" in-lb range unit that meets the range you need?

Knowing you, recommendation for a ten dollar torque wrench is not going work for you :) But for a cost of a takeout lunch ($9.95 currently on sale), try the 1/4 inch torque wrench from the Horror Freak first. And then check the calibration of it against a known good torque wrench or by some another method.
image_11272.jpg

image_11213.jpg

No need for pricey torque wrenchs for spark plugs - now,cam box on japanses bikes - def YES. Look for a wrench that reads in lb-in with ~ 300lb-in scale.
aside - Spark plugs with GASKETS should be tightened just until the gasket fully collapses and the torque curve rises ( inflection point). Never run down a plug on a pentroof 4V head that is HOT with high torque - you will stress the valve seats.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
I am looking for a 3/8" torque wrench just for spark plugs and cartridge oil filters. The torque specs for these two items are in the 10-20 ft-lb range.

I am considering this torque wrench, new, off eBay for about $150:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?...amp;dir=catalog

My price range is around $150.

Thanks.

thats inch-lb range there.. id get a 1/4" drive and use a 3/8 adapter on it.

You need to find a 250 inch lb. wrench. That's good from 4 to 21 ft. lbs..

There are not too many US made ones available, especially with a flex head, which I like for this size wrench.

CDI has this one: http://www.toolsource.com/microadjustable-torque-wrench-ratchet-head-30250-inlb-p-92817.html

Gear Wrench: http://www.tooltopia.com/gearwrench-85051.aspx

IF my inquiries have not changed, CDI has Snap-On handle/guts with an import ratchet head. Gear Wrench is U.S. made by JS Technologies (Danaher, now Apex tool group). The GearWrench is also available as an Armstrong ("maybe" a better ratchet head). The NAPA branded GearWrench I borrowed seemed very stout.

That 5 to 75 lb-ft TW is really only good for 15 to 75 lb-ft. I have the CDI version and it's a fine TW and I use it mostly to torque down drain plugs (19 to 33 lb-ft range). However, I prefer to use my CM 3/8" wrench calibrated to 250 in-lb for spark plugs and small engine bolts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
However, I prefer to use my CM 3/8" wrench calibrated to 250 in-lb for spark plugs and small engine bolts.

Sadly, the Craftsman torque wrenches are now made in China, so their quality is yet to be determined.

To the OP-

As another member mentioned, torque wrenches from most brands are only rated as accurate from 20% - 100% of full scale. The wrench you linked to is included, as it says this:
Quote:
All QD Series Torque Instruments are accurate to ±4% clockwise and ±6% counterclockwise from 20% of full scale to full scale.

So, that torque wrench you linked to is not considered accurate below 15 ft-lbs. It's basically completely wrong for what you want to do.

I would second the recommendation for an in-lbs torque wrench. I have an Armstrong 3/8" drive that goes from 50-250 in-lbs (about 4 - 20 ft-lbs).

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
However, I prefer to use my CM 3/8" wrench calibrated to 250 in-lb for spark plugs and small engine bolts.

Sadly, the Craftsman torque wrenches are now made in China, so their quality is yet to be determined.

The ones I have are a few years old and were made in the USA; however they don't compare to the quality of the CDI or PI products.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
To the OP-

As another member mentioned, torque wrenches from most brands are only rated as accurate from 20% - 100% of full scale. The wrench you linked to is included, as it says this:
Quote:
All QD Series Torque Instruments are accurate to ±4% clockwise and ±6% counterclockwise from 20% of full scale to full scale.

So, that torque wrench you linked to is not considered accurate below 15 ft-lbs. It's basically completely wrong for what you want to do.

I would second the recommendation for an in-lbs torque wrench. I have an Armstrong 3/8" drive that goes from 50-250 in-lbs (about 4 - 20 ft-lbs).

You are correct, I missed that part. Oops.

The more I think I about it, I actually need something from 10-30 ft-lbs. I would like this to be my spark plug, cartridge oil filter and drain plug torque wrench. Back to searching I go.

The 1/4 goes from 20-200 inch-lb i.e. 2-16 ft-lb approximately. You really need two torque wrenches to cover your 10-30 ft-lb range. For less than thousand dollars, you can get the both.

This Precision Instruments torque wrench goes from 10 - 50 ft-lbs (120 - 600 in-lbs). PI used to be, and probably still is, the OEM for Snap-on's split-beam torque wrenches. CDI makes Snap-on's other click wrenches, since Snap-on owns CDI. These are popular on Garage Journal and cost far less than the Snap-on versions. I've used the Snap-on version and I liked it.

If you aren't familiar with split-beam wrenches, they use a slightly different mechanism than other clicking torque wrenches. They don't need to be set to the lowest setting after each use. The ones I used clicked nice and loud, too.

This one is also a flex head model. It allows 15 degrees of flex in each direction, I believe.

MSRP is $175, but it looks like tool websites sell it for about $115. If I was in the market for a new torque wrench, it would likely be a PI split beam.

Also, I believe these are made in the USA.

http://www.torqwrench.com/tools/item.php?StockCode=C2FR600H

http://www.toolsource.com/precision-inst...lb-p-94163.html

http://www.tooltopia.com/precision-instruments-c2fr600h.aspx

presplitbeam2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
If you aren't familiar with split-beam wrenches, they use a slightly different mechanism than other clicking torque wrenches. They don't need to be set to the lowest setting after each use. The ones I used clicked nice and loud, too.
I really like this characteristic of split-beams. I just leave my PI TW set to 80 lb-ft since it's primarily used to torque down lug nuts on my vehicles. I can just grab it, do a quick check of the torque setting on the large easy-to-read window and go. The dial also makes them easier to set-up than micrometer types.

Last edited:
I've never needed to use a torque wrench on spark plugs. I just tighten them until they're tight.
And besides that, you're not getting a torque wrench to fit back behind a 3800 V6 anyway.
grin2.gif

sorry, that is the wrong one for spark plugs. that will increase the probability of stripping threads than doing it by your hands.

Come on Mike, you have done enough wrenching on many vehicles to know that you have "calibrated" hand and really don't need to rely on the torque wrench for installing spark plugs.

If you want to use a torque wrench, get a 1/4 inch-lb one and NOT the 3/8 75ft-lb one.

the drive size is not what important on a torque wrench its the range. Saying get a 1/4 makes no difference.... if you are using it on spark plugs and drain plugs seems like you would want a 3/8 with an inch pound scale.

here is a good choice, a CDI with a 30-250 inch pound scale.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004618UI8/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

so the scale is 2.5- 20.8 ft pounds. this is the torque wrench I plan to buy. the only reason I have not done it is because I don't have any projects coming up on the vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back