Looking at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk/ any good?

My son is looking at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 29,000 miles. The reviews are not that great however I see a lot of them on the road. Any input would be appreciated since we are going to look at it on Friday. I like the Jeeps and he does too but I don't want him to get an unreliable vehicle.

My son just bought a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk a couple months ago, about the same miles. No complaints so far. Jeeps are not Corollas but on line reviews are getting less and less helpful, anymore it seems about everything you look up is garbage because people are prone to complain.

I'm not real keen on the transmission but most of the complaints are about shifting and driving feel, not failures. My mother has a 2018 Renegade with the same transmission (now there's a Jeep that gets flamed on line) and it does shift hard occasionally but she has not had it reflashed or anything. I can't stand the thing but she's had no trouble with it either. My coworker has a Chrysler 200 with the same transmission for about 3 years he has had it reflashed for odd shifting but that's it.

Sorry no long term ownership experience yet.

If it is the V6, and has a history of regular maintenance, it should be fine. No vehicle is perfect. Jeep isn't renowned for their reliability, but like anything else as long as you take care of it, it will take care of you.

If it is the 2.0L turbo 4-cyl that was introduced in 2019 I would look elsewhere and hold out for a V6. The turbo 4-cyl is not well regarded for power delivery and overall driveability in terms of shifting.

My son just bought a 2018 Cherokee Trailhawk a couple months ago, about the same miles. No complaints so far. Jeeps are not Corollas but on line reviews are getting less and less helpful, anymore it seems about everything you look up is garbage because people are prone to complain.

I'm not real keen on the transmission but most of the complaints are about shifting and driving feel, not failures. My mother has a 2018 Renegade with the same transmission (now there's a Jeep that gets flamed on line) and it does shift hard occasionally but she has not had it reflashed or anything. I can't stand the thing but she's had no trouble with it either. My coworker has a Chrysler 200 with the same transmission for about 3 years he has had it reflashed for odd shifting but that's it.

Sorry no long term ownership experience yet.

I bet that thing is a blast! Enjoy!

That 2019 Cherokee should be fine. The TH does tend to drive a little rough due to the off road capability. I have found the rear suspension components do wear on Cherokees when over 80,000 miles, knuckles and links. Depends on your local road conditions. Not a cheap repair.

We had and older one for a rental it was a 2015 I believe. Severely underpowered 4 cylinder engine. We don’t buy Chrysler stuff anymore since the engine in our 2001 Cherokee went out at 100,000 miles. Based on what I have heard id stay away from them their is a reason their aren’t many good reviews.

We have a '20 non trailhawk with 11k miles and zero issues to date. It's our favorite vehicle thus far. Transmission is very smooth. They had quite a few trans issues the first two years, but made some modifications from '16 onward that helped a lot. It seems like they've got it ironed out now

I have a 2019 TH, with the V6 of similar mileage and love it. Very smooth SUV. Most of the major problems were the early years and the 2019 as a redesign has a lot of nice enhancements.

My son is looking at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with 29,000 miles. The reviews are not that great however I see a lot of them on the road. Any input would be appreciated since we are going to look at it on Friday. I like the Jeeps and he does too but I don't want him to get an unreliable vehicle.

Check to see if the corrosion issue on the leading front edge of the hood still exists, it’s been an issue for close to a decade, faulty sealing on some of the vehicles where the aluminum hood Is welded to the steel frame causes paint bubbling, It’s acknowledged issue by Jeep and they will send it to a body shop for repair.
You do not get a choice of the shop or if it’s repaired or hood replaced, that is dictated by Jeep, dealer has no say. (My neighbor is a service manager)

We only found this out after purchasing a beautiful 2017 jeep grand Cherokee Limited from Carvana this year with no more then 26,000 miles on it. We discovered the corrosion a day later, I called up Carvana and had them come and take the jeep back.
Even though Jeep Would cover it under their corrosion warranty, no way was I going to buy an almost new vehicle and then have the hood repaired and painted or replaced and painted. We keep our vehicles for a relatively long period of time and no matter what anyone says aftermarket painting never holds up like that from the factory’

For the heck of it we also walked some car lots at Carmax and saw the same thing on one or two jeep grand Cherokee’s, I think it’s a hit or miss situation I don’t know.
I believe the vehicle has a five year corrosion warranty.
You can do many internet searches on this issue also.
We went to a local dealer and bought a certified Chevy traverse LT, 2017

Last edited:
Thank you very much everyone for the replies. I was mainly worried about transmission problems and am happy to hear there are no major issues. I think we are going to buy one on Friday. I definitely will talk him into the V6 and he wouldn't want a 4 cylinder turbo anyway. Thanks again everyone for the replies I really appreciate it.

Check to see if the corrosion issue on the leading front edge of the hood still exists, it’s been an issue for close to a decade, faulty sealing on some of the vehicles where the aluminum hood Is welded to the steel frame causes paint bubbling, It’s acknowledged issue by Jeep and they will send it to a body shop for repair.
You do not get a choice of the shop or if it’s repaired or hood replaced, that is dictated by Jeep, dealer has no say. (My neighbor is a service manager)

We only found this out after purchasing a beautiful 2017 jeep grand Cherokee Limited from Carvana this year with no more then 26,000 miles on it. We discovered the corrosion a day later, I called up Carvana and had them come and take the jeep back.
Even though Jeep Would cover it under their corrosion warranty, no way was I going to buy an almost new vehicle and then have the hood repaired and painted or replaced and painted. We keep our vehicles for a relatively long period of time and no matter what anyone says aftermarket painting never holds up like that from the factory’

For the heck of it we also walked some car lots at Carmax and saw the same thing on one or two jeep grand Cherokee’s, I think it’s a hit or miss situation I don’t know.
I believe the vehicle has a five year corrosion warranty.
You can do many internet searches on this issue also.
We went to a local dealer and bought a certified Chevy traverse LT, 2017

So do you just replace your vehicle when it gets in a collision? The front-end on my wife's truck has been replaced twice now, first was a Wrangler she ran into, 2nd was a deer that I hit (whole thread here on that one). Shop provides a lifetime warranty on repairs. Both times the truck got a new hood.

Ford had major issues with their aluminum body panels and hoods with paint coming off. We had some bubbling on the Expedition, which was pretty mild compared to what others experienced, but we drove the vehicle for ~10 years and sold it with the rockers rotted out of it and the passenger front floor pretty punky. The hood was the least of our worries and still looked pretty good. The guy that bought it is still driving it.

Some things just aren't worth making a big deal of, particularly if the OEM is standing behind the repair/replacement and you like the vehicle. Odds are, something else is going to happen to it before that repair/replacement every develops an issue.

^^^ wow ^^^ Didnt mean to ruffle feathers but the OP was asking for comments. Heck, I would sure as heck like to know if the $35,000 to $87,000, (depending on trim level) Jeep Cherokee truck I was buying was prone to the paint on the hood bubbling in less then 3 years!
I think 99% of the people would agree with me, a big deal? Yes it is!!!!

A new Trailhawk model STARTS at $45,000

Trackhawk 4x4 STARTS at $87,000

No matter the price, some people take pride in their vehicle's and paint finish. To buy a vehicle where paint bubbles from almost the day of purchase is unacceptable

Last edited:
^^^ wow ^^^ Didnt mean to ruffle feathers but the OP was asking for comments. Heck, I would sure as heck like to know if the $35,000 to $87,000, (depending on trim level) Jeep Cherokee truck I was buying was prone to the paint on the hood bubbling in less then 3 years!

No matter the price, some people take pride in their vehicle's and paint finish. To buy a vehicle where paint bubbles from almost the day of purchase is unacceptable

Those prices you listed are for the Grand Cherokee. The standard Cherokee Trailhawk starts at $34.7K (and is not available in a Trackhawk model.)

Every vehicle, new or used, has some inherent risk. There are no guarantees when it comes to mass produced products comprised of thousands of individual components. It is unfortunately not all that uncommon for manufacturers to have some sort of paint issues.

The OP also indicates in their signature that they have (or had) a 2014 Grand Cherokee, so they must have some sort of experience with Jeep. I would imagine if their experience with that Jeep was a total nightmare, they wouldn't even be encouraging their son to look at Jeep whatsoever.

No feathers ruffled at all, you seem to have just completely missed the point 🤷‍♂️

What happens if it gets in a fender bender? You aren't getting a new factory painted hood, you get a new OEM hood and paint from the body shop. I literally just detailed my experience of this happening TWICE on a 2019MY vehicle in the post you replied to.

I too take pride in my vehicle's paint and finish, and I own nice vehicles, both of which were bought new. If you think those sticker prices are bad, wait until you see what that looks like in Canadian $$$$ :ROFLMAO: If my 2020 SRT was to develop a paint adherence issue on the lip of the hood and FCA covered it (which never happened on my 2016 SRT, but it did get hit by a Chevy half ton and the body shop which I no longer deal with did a poor job, but that's a whole other story detailed in another thread), while I might be annoyed by that inconvenience the fact of the matter is that as long as the work is done to my satisfaction, whether the body shop fixes the issue due to factory flaw or I later have to have the whole hood replaced due to a collision, paint chip...etc that is the reality so why obsess about something that's potentially out of my control?

If your Traverse has a blowout that smacks a fender are you going to sell it because the fender will be repainted? What if you are driving down the road and a gator flips up and nails your hood? Are you dumping the vehicle because some part of it is getting repainted?

Personally, I'll unload a vehicle if there are structural issues or a pandoras box of potential issues down the road due to shoddy work. The latter is what happened to my 2016 SRT, which I'd otherwise still have. But if the work is done properly and the shop stands behind it, whether that work is the result of an OEM flaw or an act of God the result is going to be the same. So, in your shoes, no, I wouldn't have been inclined to offload the vehicle because it had a factory paint flaw and I'd have been fine with it being fixed by a certified and competent shop as long as they warrantied the work.

You might trade a paint flaw for an engine that's going to eat its timing chain for example or be plagued with electrical issues. As ryster noted, these are mass produced vehicles, none are going to be absolutely perfect so pick your poison.

Coworker has one for I believe two months and Jeep dealer visits x3 replacing entire steering rack (was darting) and also some electrical failure. She has a 2020. She actually moderately off-roads it.

No feathers ruffled at all, you seem to have just completely missed the point 🤷‍♂️

What happens if it gets in a fender bender? You aren't getting a new factory painted hood, you get a new OEM hood and paint from the body shop. I literally just detailed my experience of this happening TWICE on a 2019MY vehicle in the post you replied to.

I too take pride in my vehicle's paint and finish, and I own nice vehicles, both of which were bought new. If you think those sticker prices are bad, wait until you see what that looks like in Canadian $$$$ :ROFLMAO: If my 2020 SRT was to develop a paint adherence issue on the lip of the hood and FCA covered it (which never happened on my 2016 SRT, but it did get hit by a Chevy half ton and the body shop which I no longer deal with did a poor job, but that's a whole other story detailed in another thread), while I might be annoyed by that inconvenience the fact of the matter is that as long as the work is done to my satisfaction, whether the body shop fixes the issue due to factory flaw or I later have to have the whole hood replaced due to a collision, paint chip...etc that is the reality so why obsess about something that's potentially out of my control?

If your Traverse has a blowout that smacks a fender are you going to sell it because the fender will be repainted? What if you are driving down the road and a gator flips up and nails your hood? Are you dumping the vehicle because some part of it is getting repainted?

Answer = forget the what if's.
I wouldn't buy a vehicle damaged in an accident or with a repainted body part, there is no need for me to do so.
Its all a matter of choice if someone wishes to buy a vehicle with repaired body part, most people prefer not to and that is a selling point.
I gave the OP comments he asked for, not speculation on what happens after you get a vehicle and bang it up. *L*

Last edited:
Those prices you listed are for the Grand Cherokee. The standard Cherokee Trailhawk starts at $34.7K (and is not available in a Trackhawk model.)

Every vehicle, new or used, has some inherent risk. There are no guarantees when it comes to mass produced products comprised of thousands of individual components. It is unfortunately not all that uncommon for manufacturers to have some sort of paint issues.

The OP also indicates in their signature that they have (or had) a 2014 Grand Cherokee, so they must have some sort of experience with Jeep. I would imagine if their experience with that Jeep was a total nightmare, they wouldn't even be encouraging their son to look at Jeep whatsoever.
No but the OP was looking for comments. Simply informing him of a hood paint bubbling issue that has gone on for darn near a decade of producing this model is a valid comment. Then discovering the paint issue issue on a 2017 Limited I just purchased and the sole reason why I returned the vehicle days later to me is more constructive then someone who hasn't purchased one. :eek:)
IMG_0451.jpeg

Last edited:
Back