Looking at a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk/ any good?

Answer = forget the what if's.
I wouldn't buy a vehicle damaged in an accident or with a repainted body part, there is no need for me to do so.
Its all a matter of choice if someone wishes to buy a vehicle with repaired body part, most people prefer not to and that is a selling point.
I gave the OP comments he asked for, not speculation on what happens after you get a vehicle and bang it up. *L*

So you are 100% sure your Traverse hasn't had a touch-up or something fixed on it even though you didn't buy it new? :whistle:

BTW, the OP is looking at a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee, which you opined on. Very different vehicles on not even remotely similar platforms, so no, you really just gave the OP unsolicited advice on a vehicle he isn't looking at purchasing.

No but the OP was looking for comments. Simply informing him of a hood paint bubbling issue that has gone on for darn near a decade of producing this model is a valid comment based on a 2017 Limited I just purchased and the sole reason why I returned the vehicle. Which is to me is more constructive then someone who hasn't purchased one. :eek:)View attachment 33788

You are really struggling to separate Cherokee from Grand Cherokee eh?

Not struggling at all, I missed that part, you know?

No, I don't know, I try and fully read a thread before responding so I'm not authoring a novel and soliciting opinion on material that isn't relevant to whatever query or queries are being posed and then getting indignant about it when somebody questions that contribution ;)

No, I don't know, I try and fully read a thread before responding so I'm not authoring a novel and soliciting opinion on material that isn't relevant to whatever query or queries are being posed and then getting indignant about it when somebody questions that contribution ;)
No one is perfect, only a select few :) now if only the Grand Cherokee and Cherokee difference was noticed sooner ...

My wife was leaning towards a new 2019 Cherokee Trailhawk until the CPO X1 M Sport turned up. That said, the Trailhawk she drove seemed to be nice enough(I didn't get behind the wheel). If your son likes it I'd say go for it.

Ok we picked up a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk on Saturday from Minneapolis. The vehicle has only 2,100 miles and is a V6. It has 270 hp and I believe a 9 speed automatic. It's a very nice vehicle. My wife and I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it has been great and I hope my son has good luck with his since he used his own hard earned money to purchase it. Thanks again everyone for the replies and good advice.

Ok we picked up a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk on Saturday from Minneapolis. The vehicle has only 2,100 miles and is a V6. It has 270 hp and I believe a 9 speed automatic. It's a very nice vehicle. My wife and I have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and it has been great and I hope my son has good luck with his since he used his own hard earned money to purchase it. Thanks again everyone for the replies and good advice.

Hi.
I own a Jeep product so i am not a hater.

I think you were wise to stay clear of the Fiat sourced engines. The ZF 9 speed certainly had issues that were not confined to just Jeep. Land Rover had the same problems. I think they have been resolved now.

Have you a 5 year warranty in the US?

I wish your son well with his new purchase.

Just noticed that the Cherokee gets a 5 star rating in the Euro crash testing. Safe vehicle for any Grand Kids in it.

Last edited:
I owned a 2017 cherokee trailhawk and currently own a 2019 cherokee trailhawk.
The transmission is sorta bleh, but otherwise I love the vehicle.

Dont get me wrong if subaru put a 220hp turbo in the crosstrek with a stickshift I'd buy one tomorrow.

I have had very minimal problems with the jeeps.. mostly a couple recalls and a rebooting issue with the radio.. which was eventually fixed with a firmware update.

PS. love the 2.0T I run it on 87octane mostly and still noticeably more torque than the pentastar.

Hi.
I own a Jeep product so i am not a hater.

I think you were wise to stay clear of the Fiat sourced engines. The ZF 9 speed certainly had issues that were not confined to just Jeep. Land Rover had the same problems. I think they have been resolved now.

Have you a 5 year warranty in the US?

I wish your son well with his new purchase.

Just noticed that the Cherokee gets a 5 star rating in the Euro crash testing. Safe vehicle for any Grand Kids in
Not sure what the warranty is but it's like brand new and I don't expect any problems. I have had great luck with Jeeps. Most people don't know it but Jeep stands for: Just. Enough. Essential. Parts. That's what they stood for back when the first Jeeps came out shipped in a wooden box and you could put them together easily with basic tools.

If it is the 2.0L turbo 4-cyl that was introduced in 2019 I would look elsewhere and hold out for a V6. The turbo 4-cyl is not well regarded for power delivery and overall driveability in terms of shifting.

by whom? The "hurricane" 2.0 has more torque than the pentastar even with 87 octane. And the same transmission as the v6 so dont understand your comments.
if anything it holds gears much better than the v6... ie on a hilly highway with cruise control on.
I have owned both.. and back to back.

Now if I was keeping it for 5+ years or buying a 5 year old one.. the pentastar is a proven design and less to go wrong on a high mileage/older one.
There is a reason Jeep regards the 2.0t as the premium engine choice.

That is not to say the 3.2 pentastar isnt a fine choice.. esp on a used vehicle.

by whom? The "hurricane" 2.0 has more torque than the pentastar even with 87 octane. And the same transmission as the v6 so dont understand your comments.
if anything it holds gears much better than the v6... ie on a hilly highway with cruise control on.
I have owned both.. and back to back.

Now if I was keeping it for 5+ years or buying a 5 year old one.. the pentastar is a proven design and less to go wrong on a high mileage/older one.
There is a reason Jeep regards the 2.0t as the premium engine choice.

That is not to say the 3.2 pentastar isnt a fine choice.. esp on a used vehicle.
Many of the written reviews and YouTube auto reviewers discussed issues with turbo lag and slow shifting with the 2.0. Many feel that the V6, despite less torque, offers smoother and more consistent power delivery in most situations.

The Cherokee Trailhawk is on my short list for my next vehicle, and I was focused on the 2.0 until the reviews really started coming out. Perhaps Jeep has done some additional tuning on the transmission for 2020+ and improved overall shift quality. It seems to be getting progressively better year after year.

It's not too helpful when people conflate different models in the same thread, i.e., Cherokee vs Grand Cherokee.

Regarding the Cherokee that the OP asked about,

I drove a 2018 Cherokee when my wife was looking for a new small SUV in 2018, it was the base model 4 cylinder. I was not impressed with the NVH of the 2.4 4 cylinder, but the vehicle drove fine otherwise and the transmission seemed to shift acceptably. I would think with the V6 it would be a lot more civilized, and I thought the driving dynamics were generally good. I definitely preferred the transmission of the Cherokee to the CVT equipped vehicle that we ended up purchasing. I might have considered purchasing the Cherokee, as the incentives offered were quite attractive.

However...

We did not purchase it for reasons unrelated to the vehicle itself, i.e., the dealer did not give us a fair price on the trade and their financing people were giving us unrealistic numbers while completely ignoring my pre-approval at my credit union. I mean if you're going to tell me I'm going to have such unfavorable terms you might want to look at my pre-approval or check my credit, which I authorized you to do. Horrible dealer experience, bunch of clowns wasting my time following some stupid script for buyers with bad credit. I don't like to ever say never, but, it would have to be a pretty cool day in "heck" for me to go back there again.

I noticed there is a lot of discussion about the 4 cylinder turbo versus the 6 cylinder. My son has the 6 cylinder which has 270 hp and it really seems to have an impressive amount of power and I was surprised it would actually push you back in the seat when wide open. I think the 9 speed automatic helps too. Thanks for the comments everyone.

We test drove a couple of earlier models when shopping for my son. Agreed, the transmission concerned me. But, while the Jeep guy in me couldn’t really comprehend fwd, I’ll admit it was the heaviest, most solid, and best bank-vault ride of every similar vehicle we compared - Ford Escape, rav 4, etc.. The interior was excellent as well. If they’ve sorted out the transmission, it should be a great vehicle.

m

Love my 2019 cherokee trailhawk,I owned a 2005 chevy trailblazer that had over 200,000 miles on it decided i needed to get something newer it did everything I always ask of it my son still uses it as a work car and has 270,000 miles on it now and still runs good,when I first started looking for a suv I read all the reviews and ended up buying a 2017 mazda cx5 because of the reviews ended up hating it under powered no transfer case great city vehicle that was it, sold it within a year.
I started looking for a compact suv the only ones i could find that had a transfer case and low range where the toyota 4 runner and jeep grand cherokee trailhawk and cherokee trailhawk the first two where to expensive for me,so I ordered a 2019 cherokee trailhawk it has the 2.0 turbo 270 horsepower 290 ft.lbs. of torque it has a lot of power for the passes here in Colorado that's where the turbo shines no loss of power on the high mountain passes here in Colorado never goes over 3,000 rpm and goes as fast as you want up the passes,just got back from Nebraska on a hunting trip loaded it down with all my stuff and 4 treestands in the roof rack and large cooler on the hitch rack still got 27 mpg going there, coming back i had 2 deer in the cooler and two in the back hatch cut up and still got 23.6 mpg on the way home and still plenty of power on the passes.I have added a 2" lift to get a little more ground clearance it has over 12,000 miles on it now and haven't had one issue with it yet doesn't burn a drop of oil.
Really loving this thing so far I don't know why they get such a bad rap on all the reviews I think a lot of people want a small suv that drives like a car now days that doesn't work where I live and what I use one for,they must do the reviews in the city and never do anything off road.

Attachments

• 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 16
Back