Longest you've left the factory oil in a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I bought it new then about 5 to 8 hours, a new filter(oversize) and oil change. If its a used car then I change the oil and filter as soon as I get home.
We put a lot of miles on our cars(1 with 257k and 1 with 224k miles) and I can still run 10k oil changes and not have to add oil. I put 46k miles on our used '06 S2000 in the last 15 months and I only go 7.5k miles on that oil but I don't have to add any either.

ROD

Last edited:
Everybody likes to play engineer here but any new car today can go the full recommended OCI called out in the manual with no ill effects over the long run.

Nobody here can show proof of any engine that failed prematurely or was worn beyond spec at a higher mileage like 150K and pinpoint the problem due to not prematurely changing the factory fill before the first scheduled call out.

1,000 miles in the 4 brand new cars i've bought. However the last time i bought a new car was 2001. If i had a new (2012) car i would likely go longer, depending on the make and what the factory fill was.

Going 10,000 miles would be very difficult for me:)

4 oil changes in 1000 miles? That did nothing except waste your money and put a little more wear on your engine dur to the dry start up when u change filter

The only new vehicle Ive dealt with was my Grandpa's Ranger. I believe I changed it at 3k miles. Mainly due to time constraints of the spec'd interval. Its 5k/6mo.

Last edited:
I know a lady bought a brandnew bmw, and never change oil for 60k miles, she drove it til it smoke bad, park in front of dealer and trade it in for another brand new car.

Well that vehicle is now almost 26 years old with over 390K and still running strong.
20 year old bike engine same deal now has (last time i saw it last year) 240K on the clock and healthy with 180 psi on all 4 (new spec is 181+-29lb).
So much for additional wear!

I change the oil in a new car at 1000 miles and immediately after purchase on a used one. I've seen all sorts of rubbish in the oil and filter at the 1000 mile change on a new engine, the used ones, not so much.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I know a lady bought a brandnew bmw, and never change oil for 60k miles, she drove it til it smoke bad, park in front of dealer and trade it in for another brand new car.

THAT explains why so many BMWs have so many bad oil experiences. People think its BMW, so it must be magic!
laugh.gif

Must have slowly burned off, and I can imagine the sludge.. sounds like it still ran.

Im wondering if the dealer saw it, changed it with some 20W-50, let it run drove it and took it on the highway (maybe) until it stopped smoking then resold.................

Quote:
Am I correct in thinking that a 12HP Briggs has no filter?

Correct but a lot of junk seems to get by the filter, just look at some UOA's of new engines.
The other reason i like to get the oil out fairly quickly is i don't trust every filter to be perfect and filter everything it should.
Over cautious for sure but for the price of a few oil changes early in the new engines life i think its worth it but each to their own.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No. Toyota would be happy for you to get a 110k service life rather than 250K. I dumped the honda FF at 3K. Same on the Subaru. Had some oil usage during the add pack changeover then none. Your filter will bypass at hot oil high rpm and let all that garbage back into the engine. Many cam and main bearings are as tight as 13um diametrical clearance, the filter is rated no better than beta 2. Thats too tight and engine to leave that grit in there for that long - way past normal wearin. Even if the filter wouldnt bypass, I'd still change at 3k/4months. Hope you gave the car a couple or ten good runs of full throttle (3,500 rpm max) when it was fresh (under 50 miles) to seat the rings.

So Toyota built a reputation of making reliable, long lasting cars (and became the world's largest automaker in the process) by making their vehicles die at 110k miles. Yeah, ok.
smirk.gif

I bought a new merc c-class 2006 (1.8L inline four)
The OLM told me to go 25000 km (15537 miles)
That's what I did.

Last edited:
Back in 1995, dad bought a Honda Accord that was used as a demonstrator for that auto dealer. The oil had about 6,000 miles on it, and dad said it must be changed before he bought the car. The dealer told him that the 1995 Accord was made for 7,500 mile oil changes, but they agreed to do it just to sell the car.

If a car in my family was purchased new, the first oil change happened at 3,000 miles or less.

Back in my Sun field service days we all had car allowances, all bought new cars. Right out on the road we went, no chance to break the cars in right. 40-50k a year. NH/ME border to NYC in a day was not unusual. A former co-worker bought a 89 Firebird Formula. Didnt have 50 miles on it, hes off going 100mph on calls. all day long on the break-in oil. We kept asking "did you change the break-in oil"? answer was always "too busy" Almost a year later I get a call. Hes on the side of the road, needs a ride, car caught fire. The formula made it 42k+ on 1989 version of breakin oil. What would the equivalent be today, 100k?

Originally Posted By: Buick92
What is the longest you've left the factory oil fill in a new car? Toyota has a 1 yr./10,000 change interval with 0W-20 synthetic, I definitely won't hit 10,000 miles in my first year of ownership, maybe 7,000 or so. I would imagine that toyota knows there engines and if they think a factory fill can stay in there that long it must be safe for the engine?

I wouldn't be so sure they "know" their engine....do you not know about the past Toyota "sludge" engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back