Longest you've left the factory oil in a new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the longest you've left the factory oil fill in a new car? Toyota has a 1 yr./10,000 change interval with 0W-20 synthetic, I definitely won't hit 10,000 miles in my first year of ownership, maybe 7,000 or so. I would imagine that toyota knows there engines and if they think a factory fill can stay in there that long it must be safe for the engine?

No. Toyota would be happy for you to get a 110k service life rather than 250K. I dumped the honda FF at 3K. Same on the Subaru. Had some oil usage during the add pack changeover then none. Your filter will bypass at hot oil high rpm and let all that garbage back into the engine. Many cam and main bearings are as tight as 13um diametrical clearance, the filter is rated no better than beta 2. Thats too tight and engine to leave that grit in there for that long - way past normal wearin. Even if the filter wouldnt bypass, I'd still change at 3k/4months. Hope you gave the car a couple or ten good runs of full throttle (3,500 rpm max) when it was fresh (under 50 miles) to seat the rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No. Toyota would be happy for you to get a 110k service life rather than 250K. I dumped the honda FF at 3K. Same on the Subaru. Had some oil usage during the add pack changeover then none. Your filter will bypass at hot oil high rpm and let all that garbage back into the engine. Many cam and main bearings are as tight as 13um diametrical clearance, the filter is rated no better than beta 2. Thats too tight and engine to leave that grit in there for that long - way past normal wearin. Even if the filter wouldnt bypass, I'd still change at 3k/4months. Hope you gave the car a couple or ten good runs of full throttle (3,500 rpm max) when it was fresh (under 50 miles) to seat the rings.

I doubt that ANY manufacturer is actively trying to greatly shorten the life of their own engines, it would destroy the credibility of the company and likely put them out of business.

The fact is that the engineers that designed and specified the maintenance intervals for your car did so to maximize life span, not the other way around.

I'll always put my trust in the hands of the car manufacturer as opposed to random guys posting on the internetz.
wink.gif

2,500 miles but, will probably go with the manufactures/Engineers recommendation from this point forward. I find it so difficult to shed the 1960 philosophy of changing early and often. A bad habit that is tough to break. Ed

Quote:
A bad habit that is tough to break.

I'm not so sure its a bad habit when i look at the life i got out of every new engine without using oil or significant loss of compression.
I want any particulate matter from the casting and machining process out of the engine asap.

I pulled the plug after 1hr on a B&S 12HP and the amount of debris in the oil was absolutely frightening.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I doubt that ANY manufacturer is actively trying to greatly shorten the life of their own engines, it would destroy the credibility of the company and likely put them out of business.

The fact is that the engineers that designed and specified the maintenance intervals for your car did so to maximize life span, not the other way around.

I'll always put my trust in the hands of the car manufacturer as opposed to random guys posting on the internetz.
wink.gif

You don't really believe this, do you?
It is not the solely the engineers who devise the service and maintenance schedule for any car.
The marketing people have considerable input as well.
Lower servicing requirements and costs are a selling point.
The typical maintenance schedule is therefore a compromise between the techs and the marketers, and is intended to yield acceptable vehicle life.
Since relatively few cars ever see 200K, the maintenance schedule will work just fine.
If you want to see 200K+ from a car, you have to go a little beyond the recommended maintenance schedule.
Arco has it right, and I've always drained the factory fill from cars we've bought new after around 1K, while I always drain any car bought used as soon as I get it home.
This may be the difference between a 200K engine that still runs very well and one that's on its last legs.
I can afford a little oil better than I can afford either an engine or a replacement car.

Due to this website, I left the FF in my Honda for 5k. I wanted to do it longer but just could not do it.

I have had several new vehicles over the last 30yrs. Never have I let one go past 1k before dumping the factory fill. I actually came to this website looking for an excellent oil to start out my new Honda with. After researching here, I found out Honda is one of the few, if not the only manufacturer that actually uses a special break-in oil for their vehicles. Upon reviewing several UOA's of the factory fill. I would have been a fool to dump the FF at 1k.

Unless it is some special formulation like Honda has in their new vehicles. I always dump it at 1k or less.

I have done 3K and 5K. Never before 1500 miles. Oddly the two that I changed at 1500 miles are the only ones that used oil.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
A bad habit that is tough to break.

I'm not so sure its a bad habit when i look at the life i got out of every new engine without using oil or significant loss of compression.
I want any particulate matter from the casting and machining process out of the engine asap.

I pulled the plug after 1hr on a B&S 12HP and the amount of debris in the oil was absolutely frightening.

Am I correct in thinking that a 12HP Briggs has no filter?

I went 3K in my Magnum (my only new car), then changed at 7500. The factory fill in the F-550 rollback I drove went 5000 miles...the truck was wrecked with a perfect-running 7.3 PSD with over 900,000 miles. That is on the original turbo and either tow or three original fuel injectors.

in my first brand new car, subaru, 3,750 miles, per the manual. The 2nd and 3rd, toyotas, 1,000-2,000 miles, as influenced by BITOG. By the time I got my newest car, incidentally toyota too, I got life and changed at 10,000 miles as per the manual.

Me? My newest, the CR-V. Coming up on 5000 miles. OLM says 50%. It's making me crazy, but I'm following Honda's advice and leaving it in until OLM reads 15%.

This is by FAR the longest I have ever gone on FF.

Like another member in this thread, I once changed the FF at 50 miles, then 500, switched to synthetic at 1000, then again at 3000, then 3000 there after with synthetic until I stumbled on to BITOG.

Still have that vehicle. Best vehicle I have ever owned in terms of reliability a low maintainence. Still use synthetic but change at 10 to 12k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back