Long Term Vehicle Storage Concerns

This winter I will need to leave a vehicle sit for a couple months and was thinking about some things that should be done…concerned about starting it after sitting for two months. I do live in a cold climate, but the vehicle is stored in a heated (50F) garage.

issues I am considerin:

1) Trickle charge on the battery…think this one is a no brainer.
2) Add some sort of moly oil additive to the oil to leave a film on the engine components…
3) Change the oil before leaving…boat stern drive manufactures recommend changing the oil yearly (end of season) regardless of engine hours.
4) Thought about filling the gas tank with rec gas….probably just use gas stabilizer?

Thoughts?

My only worry would be mice.

I "store" my truck for 3 months every winter. I just make sure that I don't have any food particles in it and fill the tank with non ethanol gas.

I do this every year, every car in the sig and the boat;

-charge and disconnect the battery, I don't like unattended maintainers
-Marine Sta-bil, fill the tank and run a bit
-Oil and filter change
-inflate tires to max on sidewall, (remember to adjust in Spring)
-think about and address any potential rodent issues

Do not use a trickle charger. Use a smart float charger, like BMK B06XK7PM9F
Put moth balls in engine bay, keeps out rodents.

For two months in a heated garage, a smart charger like a Ctek would be all I would do.

In this heated garage to you see any mouse droppings. Maybe some mouse traps if you are going to be around to check them.

Yeah, critters are an ongoing issue if you don’t stay on top of it…

red squirrel are bad as well, for some reason they have a low life expectancy where I live?

2 months? I used to go to sea for 3 to 6 months at a time and leave my 88 Dodge Daytona parked in deployed parking. Basically, a big open field.
I would unhook the battery and it would always start when I returned. My Trans Am sits longer than 2 months from time to time in my garage. 17 years and I have never had an issue. I do run a dehumidifier.

Your biggest problem is going to mice and such. I have some traps in the garage and some Black Cat poison in the engine compartment of the Trans Am and Truck. I have never seen it eaten.

I wouldn't worry about #2&3, top the tires up to the max PSI.

My 96' Jeep has been sitting in the garage since late August and I just have a smart charger on it and Stabil in the tank topped off.

I store my Jeep every winter in the garage where I parked it after a 20 minute drive after putting a fuel stabilizer in the topped off tank. I also keep it on a trickle charger.

This year it is on jack stands so I can do the rear brakes and all of the rubber brake lines.

I’ve had it sit on its tires all winter (Dec-Mar) and have yet to have a flat spot. I keep them at 28PSI for ride comfort.

Back