little oil consumtion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '07 Silverado that has a little bit of oil consumption caused by AFM. I am reluctant to have the issue corrected by GM so I was wondering if there is some oil that may help with the consumption. I have been using VWB 5w-30 since day one. Truck only has 40k. GM is aware of the oil consuption issues with '07-'09 models that is for sure and the fix may be worse than the problem looking at the long term.

I have read too many articles that the repair does not guarantee the fix. No need to go inside a motor and end up having same issue. Also I have done the consumption test with the dealer and it meets the standard. So GM will not touch it right now anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
What engine, what problem are you referring to?

Due to active fuel manangement oil passes by on deactivated cylinders. There is a TSB for the issue but the TSB has numerous things to try. This is on the 5.3l

Last edited:
OK. Well, there are only a few ways into the combustion chamber so..the traditional stuck/carbonized/fouled piston and ring problem is one constant. Out the PCV is another. Newer GM V6 and V8's report problems with Valve Seal seating under high rpm/high load. A spring/keeper/something like that cannot keep the valve seal seated. Another could be OIL PISTON COOLING JETS VALVE if you have that.

What other ways to burn oil are there?

thinking out loud.. if that AFM has something do with it, would assume the cylinders shut down would be "flooding" with oil? I say flooding because that cylinder is not consuming, not firing. Similar to a piston soak. So when it turns on there would be a misfire because of all the oil. If its not rough, no CEL, I would think maybe the AFM has nothing to do with it, and its a more traditional issue?

GM apparently can't design pistons or rings or valve guide/sealing. They have had these issues since the 1970s in their products. Piston slap,oil burning,valve seal/guide issues. Over and over and over. Chezz. My vette 6.2 is nosy on cold start,warm up compared to my 5.7 Hemi and 4.6 Ford. The 6.0 I had sounded like a diesel the first few minutes running on cold start.

Originally Posted By: chevydude
I have an '07 Silverado that has a little bit of oil consumption caused by AFM. I am reluctant to have the issue corrected by GM so I was wondering if there is some oil that may help with the consumption. I have been using VWB 5w-30 since day one. Truck only has 40k. GM is aware of the oil consuption issues with '07-'09 models that is for sure and the fix may be worse than the problem looking at the long term.

BWD # PCV 484 GM's answer for oil burning engines

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I know the fix. Its called a Ram with Hemi. Gm hasn't changed at all. Ram Express best buy out there. Thats why your seeng them every where.

If I am not mistaken, Dodge is utilizing similar technology in cylinder deactivation. They just call it something else.

I would suggest thinking of the most painful thing you can do with your beloved Dodge then go do it!
smile.gif

They are no better or worse than Chevy or Ford

Due to active fuel management oil passes by on deactivated cylinders. There is a TSB for the issue but the TSB has numerous things to try. This is on the 5.3l

Hi Chevydude, do they know the exact mechanism for the increased oil consumption under AFM? Perhaps it's a higher vacuum in the closed off cylinders drawing a little oil through the valve guide seals.

What sort of quantity are we talking about here? Is it something very minor like 1 qt per 4000 miles? Or is it more? Or less? Please tell.

My 2009 Dodge 1500 5.7 Hemi has MDS. Multiple Displacement System. Uses maybe a pint in 6,000+ miles. It is probably in 4 cyl mode 80% of the time if not more. It is seamless in its activation,deactivation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uart
Due to active fuel management oil passes by on deactivated cylinders. There is a TSB for the issue but the TSB has numerous things to try. This is on the 5.3l

Hi Chevydude, do they know the exact mechanism for the increased oil consumption under AFM? Perhaps it's a higher vacuum in the closed off cylinders drawing a little oil through the valve guide seals.

What sort of quantity are we talking about here? Is it something very minor like 1 qt per 4000 miles? Or is it more? Or less? Please tell.

My OCI is every 3k miles and during the oil consumption test it is around 1/2qt at 2k. GM says 1qt at 2k is exceptable on there specs. Some of the repairs is to add deflector in oil pan,clean carbon off cylinder as a gentleman commented in a post early, replace lifters on the deactived cylinders,and PCV could be the problem but I have ruled that one out. I was just wondering if a better quality oil would help in the cleaning process being that I have used DINO oil from the start. Never ask which oil is better, just ask what is a quality oil to switch to from DINO. I just feel that switching to synthetic and not going longet on the OCI is a waste sometimes. Turning off AFM will void the GM warranty and dealers will not turn it off. I have looked into that as well.

My OCI is every 3k miles and during the oil consumption test it is around 1/2qt at 2k.

OK so my guess of 1 qt per 4000 miles was pretty right then. That's pretty minimal consumption, but I understand that having any noticeable oil consumption on such a low mileage car can be disconcerting.

If the consumption is stable (not increasing) then it could probably run like that forever, without you doing anything other than top it off if needed.

If you want to try a slightly heavier oil then it probably would reduce the consumption a little bit. I recently changed out a thin (dexo1, gf5, hths=2.9) 5W30 for a pretty thick A3/B4 5W30 (hths=3.6) and I've definitely noticed it using a little bit less. Not that I was worried about the minimal oil consumption anyway (about 2/3rds pint per 2000 miles), but it's only using about half that amount with the new oil. Surprisingly the fuel consumption has remained entirely unchanged.

My new oil is Castrol Edge A3/B4 FST 5W30. It's a lot thicker than the Edge FST you get in the US, probably more like the one you call German Castrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back