Listening to the radio in your vehicle.....

AM: classic country (680 San Antonio) Tejano/conjunto music (1540 San Antonio, 1600 Austin)
FM: country, variety music stations
Sometimes I’ll play a CD or cassette
Sometimes I’ll use a cassette adapter connected to my iPhone to play music from YouTube, however skipping songs is too distracting while driving

I use earbuds and my phone. I'm tired of the poor acoustics and the high cost of audio systems in vehicles. I tend to like metal, very hard rock and prog rock. But lately, mostly newer stuff, not "the classics". My wife has introduced me to Clutch, Highly Suspect, Ghost, Mastodon, Gojira and so on.

Depends. Heading to work I'm listing to AM, for the traffic reports. Going home, FM classic rock. On long trips usually Sirius.

XM for the most part

I stopped using XM for a while, but took advantage of a free promo last year and found the quality to be awful. I didn’t try many channels, but the pop, rock and comedy channels all sounds very bad. I believe the promo was for several months, but I stopped listening to it entirely soon after trying it.

I‘ve also become accustomed to skipping songs. There are days where I skip a dozen songs before I hear something that I like, even if I’m listening to a playlist of my own songs.

My taste in music is also all over the place. I listen to podcasts (news, science, comedy, etc), classic rock, 90s rock, hip hop and some milder or older rap, dance/house/etc, metal, classical (usually movie scores, because they’re more exciting), and sometimes country. This is really the main reason I got the Echo Auto.

4BF83F87-C572-4FD2-87E2-2A7664852AEE.jpeg

I use earbuds and my phone. I'm tired of the poor acoustics and the high cost of audio systems in vehicles. I tend to like metal, very hard rock and prog rock. But lately, mostly newer stuff, not "the classics". My wife has introduced me to Clutch, Highly Suspect, Ghost, Mastodon, Gojira and so on.

In my previous STI I would use buds with pass-through sound, because that car had very little sound deadening and noisy tires. The buds did block some of the noise, so it wasn’t as bad as without them, but didn’t prevent me from hearing my surroundings. Heck, even with sound canceling buds, its probably not much different than luxury cars, which block way more sound than my usual rides.

Podcasts 99% of the time. The 1% is when I just have the need to hear music, which comes from Apple Music. The only time a local radio actually plays is the 5 minutes between home and my son's school.

I've subscribed to over 40 podcasts from short daily news to longform interview/conversation related to drag racing or tech to historical series.

I also listen to podcasts all day at work.

Depends. Heading to work I'm listing to AM, for the traffic reports. Going home, FM classic rock. On long trips usually Sirius.

I always chuckle a bit when I see the rare sign for how to listen to local traffic on the radio.

I mean, I would assume Waze is a lot more accurate. NA if you don’t have a smart phone, though.

In my car I have bluetooth and usually just listen to a podcast. I used to commute 100+ miles a day, and you get tired of your music playlist and the same 4 songs on the radio pretty quickly. In the Jeep I have an aftermarket head unit that I can plug my phone into and charge it, which once plugged in will automatically start playing the last podcast I was listening to. I'll usually listen to that until the wind noise gets to be too much (especially with no top or doors) and just appreciate nature.

Streaming. Still trying to decide between Spotify and Apple Music. I've had Spotify for many years but the free trials offered for Apple Music have me trying it out. I have AirPods but I don't really care for the spacialized audio sound so that's not really a bonus. They do allow lossless streaming, but I wouldn't bother trying that outside of a wifi source when I'm sometimes driving in the middle of nowhere. That said I think Spotify might win here. Apple Music would win handily if Tesla had Apple CarPlay, but because they don't Apple Podcasts does not work with it, but I can listen to my podcasts through Spotify. I do much prefer podcasts and music being too separate apps though because I really don't like opening Spotify to play the last podcast I was on, to have to go looking for it, because the last round of Slipknot I was listening to is still on my last played.

If I'm by myself in the car it's definitely podcasts about 90% of the time.

Last edited:
Usually local talk during the drive in. XM App all day in the work vehicle. XM on the trip home (no Bluetooth vehicle).

I haven't listened to a FM station is probably 10 years.

On the ride into work I listen to WSB-FM for news and traffic reports. Any other time I listen to some XM radio, mostly classic rock and blues but mainly music from a flash drive in the car. A few years ago we drove from Atlanta to Annapolis listening to the flash drive. We never heard the same song twice on the entire round trip and liked every song that we heard. With no commercials.

I bounce between Am Sports radio, NPR & Rock/Alternative on the FM. But AM the most as the Bills are doing well and I sometimes drive outta range of local FM stations...

I bounce back and forth between Streaming Via YouTube Music, the music on the 32GB Flashdrive plugged into the car, and Sirius.
when I'm on Sirius, it's usually Lithium (Grunge and 90's alternative channel - wanna guess when i grew up?)

I switch around. FM whatever current music is on out there, not usually a fan but it passes the time. But otherwise I switch between Apple Music and Spotify. The Grand Cherokee has a nice stereo, so listening to music is enjoyable. When I drive the Sonata with it's OE speakers, not so good.

I’ve been using SiriusXM for about 15 years now. They won’t let me cancel and keep offering me the $5 a month deal so I keep it. I usually listen to Lithium, 90’s on 9, 80s on 8, Chill, and sometimes the jazz and classical stations when I’m in the mood.

I’m thinking I may not renew this year and have recently discovered my 90s alt rock is now being played on the local classic rock station 😫. I’m getting old. But I usually can’t stand listening to the radio because there’s so many commercials.

I think I might put all my favorite music onto a usb drive and try that. I used to have thousands of songs on my back up hard drive but lost most of them, so maybe I’ll use YouTube downloader or something to download music. It’s just so time consuming I never seem to get around to doing it.

Sirius XM in cars and thru app on IPad at home Bluetoothed to surround sound system. Stations vary a lot from Rockbar 313 to Lithium to Classic vinyl

Back