Listening to the radio in your vehicle.....

Sirius is always on in my car. If the wife is with me, it's always "The Bridge", if I'm alone, it will change from Tom Petty to Margaritaville, to Reggae, and a few others. No "podcasts, or Talk Radio, or Howard Stern etc. Also stream at home by the pool on the Sony XB3's and listen to the Steeler games.
It can be a little pricey, but it is one of the luxuries a find useful.

....have recently discovered my 90s alt rock is now being played on the local classic rock station 😫.
I noticed that here too. One day this past summer I heard them play Nirvana.... I thought to myself, I've never heard them play Nirvana, not a single time! Ever! Next day I heard another song. Both from "In Utero", by the way. I thought, did they just buy this album and put it into heavy rotation?

Not long after, they added Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and a few others. So the difference is, now instead of hearing Aerosmith every 45 minutes, it's now every 90 minutes. Yep, still terribly repetitive.

YT mainly for music and education

few times FM local news/traffic channel, sometimes CD Player and TuneIn radio, with radio stations around the world

Spotify via the aftermarket Apple CarPlay stereo I installed. I listen to a lot of different stuff, don’t feel like listing all.

Up where I live radio reception is very weak. FM stations barely come in and I don't like their programming anyway, I listen to some talk radio out of Los Angeles and have SiriusXM in both of my vehicles so there is plenty of programming available. I can stream Pandora through my phone and Android Audio but rarely do. Neither vehicle has a cassette or CD player which I guess are obsolete in cars made in the last several years but they have USB slots. I have made my own "Greatest Hits" collections by burning tracks from my CD collection onto USB sticks using the FLAC lossless method for the best fidelity. I have around 2000 songs now on USB sticks so I have no shortage of things to listen too.

WBZ 1030 AM for classic news and weather broadcast.
Then if I'm having lunch in the car, it's 610AM or 680AM for Talk in the NorthEast US.

I try to avoid polarizing political talk, but a good talk show is a good show.

So for me it's: Clay Travis and Buck Sexton, Glen Beck and then Howie Carr ( with whom I have a bone to pick )

There was a great show on WRKO 680 AM but they cancelled and canned the superb "V.B. In the Middle" show (Goudie and McKinnon) a couple years ago and put some whiny Gen Y twit girl on who makes me want to rip the radio out of the dashboard. H. Carr's news girl.

How the owners - I-Hate Radio - didn't realize how well produced the show was that they canned tells me that we are truly victims of brainless management and influential host (Howie Carr) and the just saving $$ mantra - which wont happen with no listeners.

rant over

When riding in your vehicle what are you usually listening to? AM, FM, Satellite, CD, Downloaded music?

What exactly? Music style, talk radio, podcasts ?

When I had Satellite radio is was almost always rock stations. Usually older rock.
Now it is FM radio and classic rock stations.
Most of the time during the workweek FM NPR for the morning ride and maybe a local station or 2 and the afternoon Spotify out of my library.

If I want to hear music - it's a CD quality BT transmitted form my phone. No satellite junk or cost for me.
I only listen to tunes when sitting still. Rock makes me crash :p

I almost never listen to the radio. Sometimes I’ll listen to the KC Royals broadcast on AM if we are out and about, but that’s usually it. Apple CarPlay was a game changer for me and I almost always listen to Spotify or music I have downloaded on my phone. I tossed several hundred CDs a year or so ago because there was no reason to keep them. The new stereo I put in the Civic doesn’t have a CD slot but has wireless CarPlay which is awesome. When I am on long roadtrips by myself, I always have a couple of good audiobooks to listen to, which I enjoy very much.

My radio in both my main cars stays on one station 96.3 WROV the Rock of Virginia. Every morning rolling 30 miles to work I listen to the John Boy and Billy Big Show which has music as part of it too. I could never listen to a talk show or anything that’s like poison to your ears lol. If I have the radio on it’s for music the show I listen to is a funny show and the music compliments it. It’s all 70s and 80s and some early 90s rock. I get so irritated when we are going somewhere and pops is listening to some political talk show or anything of that sort seems to be all his listens too. Here recently when he has driven my truck I’ve had to set him straight a few times and let him know the radio is not to be adjusted in anyway he doesn’t like it but it’s my car my rules lol. Right now we are listen to Kim Komando in moms car I like her but can’t stand radio talk shows I wish I had ear phones lol.

I don’t know what XM is I’d guess satellite radio I’m not sure but I know I’m not paying for anything like that.

My radio in both my main cars stays on one station 96.3 WROV the Rock of Virginia. Every morning rolling 30 miles to work I listen to the John Boy and Billy Big Show which has music as part of it too. I could never listen to a talk show or anything that’s like poison to your ears lol. If I have the radio on it’s for music the show I listen to is a funny show and the music compliments it. It’s all 70s and 80s and some early 90s rock. I get so irritated when we are going somewhere and pops is listening to some political talk show or anything of that sort seems to be all his listens too. Here recently when he has driven my truck I’ve had to set him straight a few times and let him know the radio is not to be adjusted in anyway he doesn’t like it but it’s my car my rules lol. Right now we are listen to Kim Komando in moms car I like her but can’t stand radio talk shows I wish I had ear phones lol.

I don’t know what XM is I’d guess satellite radio I’m not sure but I know I’m not paying for anything like that.
Did you know that 96.3 WROV is owned by the largest corporate radio station owner iHeartMedia (formerly Clear Channel)? The only thing local that they allow on any of their stations (besides local advertisers) is a morning show on a select few stations. The John Boy and Billy Big Show is a nationally syndicated morning show that is heard on 110 of their radio stations. The rest of the day and night all of their stations play canned music sent by corporate, exactly the same as all of their other stations broadcasting the same music format.

Last edited:
Did you know that 96.3 WROV is owned by the largest corporate radio station owner iHeartMedia (formerly Clear Channel)? The only thing local that they allow on their stations (besides local advertisers) is a morning show. The rest of the day and night they play canned music sent by corporate, just like (and exactly the same as) all of their other stations broadcasting the same music format.
I actually didn’t know that. Interesting. Thought they were a small hometown company that was independently owned. I’ve heard of iHeart Media never knew what it was I thought it was just their app name.

I actually didn’t know that. Interesting. Thought they were a small hometown company that was independently owned. I’ve heard of iHeart Media never knew what it was I thought it was just their app name.
iHeartMedia owns 860+ radio stations in the US (down from 1207 when they were still called Clear Channel). They are the largest and THE most evil of the big 4 corporate radio station owners. They own 7 radio stations where I live.

Back