Right vs. left fuelling

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
Ok, we have 4 VWs and a Ford in my fleet that all have right side fuel filling. There are several busy gas stations near me that just don't work w/r to the traffic flow and having right side filling - I've given up using them unless they have nobody at the islands. At one point, I got in line backwards as the only way to get fuel b/c you are always "swimming against the current" which is tough when there is a line 4 vehicles deep and you are on the opposite side trying to pull in...anymore I don't want to get shot. What say the BITOG collective/hive mind? Any issues/preferences? I LOVE Costco gas islands...long hoses so you can fill from either side...always laugh at the huge lines in the left-side lanes...it's the one stations I can usually zoom in/out in the nearly empty right-side lands b/c folks don't realize the hoses stretch. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Example of gas station excellence:

20231025_132052.jpg

Example of a local station to me that makes me feel like I am left handed eating on someone's right. Have to come in and go around to the back usually to hit it from the right side. If there is a car in the front island facing me, they look at me like I'm nuts/a jerk for pulling in to fuel:

20230928_094736.jpg

Last edited:
One of my kids had a Mustang with RS gas filling but that made sense because because being a 2 door, the door was long and needed the space to swing wide to let you out. Why a 4 door VW would have RS filling - they are VW. I don't think there is a reason for half the things they do.

One of my kids had a Mustang with RS gas filling but that made sense because the door was long and needed the space to swing wide to let you out. Why a 4 door VW would have RS filling - they are VW. I don't think there is a reason for half the things they do.
B/c it's European and well....they often drive on the left side. Also, my Focus is right-side filling b/c again, it was a "world" platform. BMW, Merc, etc. are all right-side fuelling.

I remember back in 1986 when I bought a first year Acura Integra LS and the salesman was boasting that the dash had a gas pump icon with an arrow telling you which side to fuel up. ⛽️ Great for owners of many cars.

He said Acura was the first out with that feature. I never looked into who was first but maybe someone here wants to research it.

I prefer the stations where the pumps are perpendicular to the building and you can pull into them on either side, as appropriate for whatever your car needs. The old model of a long line of pumps in a row gets cumbersome when half the cars have to come around to the "other" side.

I like the old style behind the rear license plate.
Those were awesome because they worked regardless which side the pump was on. But I suspect safety issues made them go away.

My first car had the filler behind the plate but after some kid bumped me from behind the bumper was bent enough it was hard to get the gas cap on and off.

My Malibu is on the right side and the wife's Palisade on the left. I feel your pain as it's been a long time since I've used right side pumping.

Those were awesome because they worked regardless which side the pump was on. But I suspect safety issues made them go away.

My first car had the filler behind the plate but after some kid bumped me from behind the bumper was bent enough it was hard to get the gas cap on and off.
As you get older it would be a reach and bend down. Other than that it was a breeze in the day.

B/c it's European and well....they often drive on the left side. Also, my Focus is right-side filling b/c again, it was a "world" platform. BMW, Merc, etc. are all right-side fuelling.
Heard a wife's tales: 1) it makes you walk around the car, and you may notice tires getting flat that way. 2) Safer as there are small fuel stations in EU with like 2 pumps that are pretty much on the curb, this way, you can safely fill up there.

I remember back in 1986 when I bought a first year Acura Integra LS and the salesman was boasting that the dash had a gas pump icon with an arrow telling you which side to fuel up. ⛽️ Great for owners of many cars.

He said Acura was the first out with that feature. I never looked into who was first but maybe someone here wants to research it.
It's a nice feature when you rent vehicles (like I do!) a lot for travel.

Back