Liqui Moly Ceratec

IJZZZ have you IMS'd it yet?

No; it's got 135K miles and is 16 yrs old. At this point, I'd say it's too late for doing that.

I bet that if you borescope each cylinder You will find some visible scoring - this is where your oil consumption was coming from.
Even though visible, those scratches are filled in with the "glass-like" substance/layer that Ceratec seem to form.
I did have luck on a couple of my customer's scored engines using Ceratec, per their request, and it does seem to work and hold over time.
I have to admit, I was sceptical, but it worked and saved them expensive engine out rebuilt.
Also, if used as directed and the used oil is drained with the engine properly warm/just driven, there does not seem to be visible separation or excessive product leftover. It seems to be a good product.

It may have scoring; that's something that I've thought about. I'm not ruling it out. However, the car hasn't 'lived' in cold climate (that seems to be the main cause of cylinder scoring). The original owner lived in Pasadena. I brought it to Tucson for a year, then Las Vegas for 8 years. It currently resides in Orlando.
I bought the car w/90K miles and it's possible the previous owner used the factory recommended oil change cycle (24mo/24K miles) which would leave contaminants in the oil, leading to scoring. I change the oil every 3K miles which is a little less than twice a year.

There are no visible oil leaks; I park the car in the same spot in my garage (just as I did in Vegas and Tucson) and I've never had any oil stains on the garage floor.

I've read the concerns about separation of Ceratec from oil, but I usually fly 4 day trips (I'm a pilot) so I leave the car parked at the airport for 4 days at a time approx 4 times a month. When I changed the oil, I didn't see any separation.

As far as fuel mileage, I have no idea if it made a difference. Since I drive the car aggressively at times and gently other times, I'm sure my fuel mileage varies quite a bit. I know I get a bit more than 20 MPG, but that's as far as I've measured mileage.

Back