light sludge varnish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again guys

So I got me a little dilemma and just need a little assistance today.

Got my 94 land rover 3.9 liter up and running good now. I'm running some short oil changes for a little bit but I need some help on an oil recommendation. I do have a little varnish and possibly a little bit of sludge on the top end, if its sludge its not much at all. The engine has got 131000 miles on, I'm guessing the previous owner was not all up on his perfect maintenance that rovers need. Just looking for an oil that would work for a cleaning.

I was thinking valvoline vr1 2050 since the warm season is on it way here and I got a big trip planned this summer. Any ideas

Greatly appreciated

The thinner the oil, the easier it will be for it to splash onto various parts and clean them.

20w50 seems way to thick

What is the spec 10w40?

I would go with some M1 0w40 or rotella T6

Maxlife at 4 months or 1700 miles, whichever comes first. Do that 4 times.

No short trips unless you let the engine idle long enough to get up to full operating temp.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Maxlife at 4 months or 1700 miles, whichever comes first. Do that 4 times.

No short trips unless you let the engine idle long enough to get full to operating temp.
Really? You're asking how to have a clean engine in one post but you're giving advice on how to have a clean engine in another!? Lol

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Really? You're asking how to have a clean engine in one post but you're giving advice on how to have a clean engine in another!? Lol

LOL!
crackmeup2.gif

Ya it is 1040 for spec, 2050 for above 85 if I remember right, 540 or 040 when getting to -14 and up ironically it gets way colder here then that and summer is usually hotter than 85 too.

Originally Posted By: Petrou
Ya it is 1040 for spec, 2050 for above 85 if I remember right, 540 or 040 when getting to -14 and up ironically it gets way colder here then that and summer is usually hotter than 85 too.

Might look at 5w-50 M1 or Castrol to cover the full range. Stick with 5k OCI's and it should clean up fine. Doesn't sound like it is too bad.

No its not terrible enough for me to tear the engine down. Just wanna make sure I can clean it out. Where did you find Mobil 1 5-50 out of curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back