Lifetime Wheel Alignment pros and cons?

Hi

I am considering getting a lifetime wheel alignment for one or two of my vehicles.

Any pros or cons or things to consider?

I am in the San Francisco bay area and we have Firestone, Wheel Works and Big O that I believe offer Lifetime Alignments, maybe more.

if the toe is just on the edge and barley in spec will they bother to adjust it?

I would like the toe set to the middle of the spec range.

if the toe is just on the edge and barley in spec will they bother to adjust it?

I would like the toe set to the middle of the spec range.

Doubtful. If it shows up green they'll pull it off the rack and send you on the way.

Good alignment techs are worth their weight in gold, and the majority of places offering lifetime alignments, don't have them.

Last edited:
I have it on BMW as I track it, and sometimes, I need 2-3 alignments a year. Plus, I experiment with different bushing setups to eliminate a bit of understeer present in xDrive.
They always do an excellent job with the specs I give them. They will say tires will get eaten with max rear camber and things like that, but I just politely explain that I am aware of that.
IMO, totally worth it.

I've had the Firestone one for maybe 10 years on my truck. Techs change over the years so sometimes it's good, sometimes I go back. Whenever I am told I need something I decline it and inspect and replace on my own if needed. I've probably had 5-7 alignments done over the years. If you plan to keep a vehicle for many years it's good. Most new cars don't even need an alignment for 100-150k miles if you have reasonable road conditions.

Hi

I am considering getting a lifetime wheel alignment for one or two of my vehicles.

I am in the San Francisco bay area and we have Firestone, Wheel Works and Big O that I believe offer Lifetime Alignments, maybe more.
Last time I had an alignment was around 20 years ago. I would pass on the lifetime agreement.

I would just get/pay for the alignment when & if you need one.
I've been turned down on the LIFETIME ALIGNMENT from Good/Year because I installed new suspension parts and needed an alignment.
They can turn you down for just about anything after you've paid them all that money. Better read the fineprint

Last edited:
I have Firestone L/T alignmwnt on my 1984 P/Up truck from the 1990s and Firestone honors it whenever I needed it. My Ford Escape got 2 alignments done @ Firestone. My Jaguar haven't have an alignment yet but soon also w/ Firestone's L/T alignment warranty. No Cons on my side

Have this on 2 cars because it was sold as break-even after 3.

Unnecessary.

First of all, other than a worn suspension, the alignment doesn’t change much.

I’d go as far as saying needing one every tire replacement is a wives tale.

Now let’s do an investigative report on Firestone.

The first time one goes in, it’s a real alignment as printed out by their often Hunter equipment.

Subsequent ones are checks. Not the same. And likely everything is green.

Compare. You can drive in to the BMW dealership all green, and the tech moves all 4 corners to the middle of the range. Firestone never does. Green means good.

Between Firestone having their machine down (you call in, they pull you up and see you have a lifetime, the machine goes down or there are no appts. I live in suburban Phila. What are the chances 4 locations near me are all down at the same time?)

Then there’s the everything was good, there’s no printout. Our printer was out of paper. Really?

Lastly, there’s the scenario where they never even pulled the car in. Just a real con job. Nobody should ever fall for it. Hopefully me falling for it 2x saves someone else some money 😂

I would just get/pay for the alignment when & if you need one.
I've been turned down on the LIFETIME ALIGNMENT from Good/Year because I installed new suspension parts and needed an alignment.
They can turn you down for just about anything after you've paid them all that money. Better read the fineprint
My theory is this. One isn’t saving any money thinking oh this is like a buffet at a restaurant, I’ll just eat my way to break-even.

It’s like insurance fraud. How much did one save, when in reality, because of the fraud one wouldn’t be covered in the event of a loss (happened to a coworker who used an address different than where the car was garaged).

My theory is this. One isn’t saving any money thinking oh this is like a buffet at a restaurant, I’ll just eat my way to break-even.

It’s like insurance fraud. How much did one save, when in reality, because of the fraud one wouldn’t be covered in the event of a loss (happened to a coworker who used an address different than where the car was garaged).
It's like any other service you pay for up front then have to fight to use your money that's already gone. You don't have much leverage. Charge back on your credit card? Nope, it's been more than 30 days.

If I had a firestone warranty I might tip the tech $20 in cash to do a good job, but then why should I have to do that? Let the company pay him what he deserves.

I had two from firestone, one for the focus and one for the cx5.

Firestone didn't tell me that there was only one firestone in my area that could work on BSM/lane departure vehicles. That firestone must have a bad rack, specs, or something because even after 3 alignments I ended up bringing the car to the dealership to get it realigned and their printout showed the toe from Firestone completely off. Thread here. I haven't had a need to get an alignment for over a year now. I use that ~$200 for the lifetime as a lesson now.

Hi

It’s a gimmick used by Firestone to pad their wallets. They get your car on the rack and find all sorts of things that “ need to be done.”

I've had the Firestone one for maybe 10 years on my truck. Techs change over the years so sometimes it's good, sometimes I go back. Whenever I am told I need something I decline it and inspect and replace on my own if needed. I've probably had 5-7 alignments done over the years. If you plan to keep a vehicle for many years it's good. Most new cars don't even need an alignment for 100-150k miles if you have reasonable road conditions.
Come drive in Michigan lol

Hi

If you need an alignment, you bent something (usually a LCA or shifted the rack or subframe) or the suspension bushings are worn and need to be replaced.

Never had a toe change fix a bent suspension so it drives correctly.

Many older Hunter racks are out of cal. I think I had three good alignments out of over 30 tries over the years.

I'd pass. Your choice of course - you may have different reasons and needs.

thanks for all the replies and insights

my wife and I must have bad luck with pot holes and or bumping curbs while parallel parking.

Part of me thinks it would be worth it to get toe adjustments as needed.

Back