alignment with new set of tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks!

Many of you kindly helped me with some tire decisions a little while ago. I'm now ready to have my Michelin Pilot Sport AS 3+ tires put on my 2015 Corolla. The shop has suggested considering an alignment at the same time suggesting that if there is any problem with future wear, the blame can not be placed on alignment. However:
1. the car doesn't seem to pull to one side or the other and seems to track straight when I don't even touch the steering wheel momentarily going down a straight stretch of highway
2. the car only has 30k miles and was purchased new
3. I don't recall ever hitting any large potholes and certainly no curb hits
4. I haven't noticed any unusual tire wear during the life of the OEM Firestone tires although now that they are so worn overall, I'm not sure I would actually notice uneven wear at this point.

Finally, I did ask the shop if they could take their measurements to see if it was out of alignment but said although they also provide pre-alignment values, once it is up on the rack at that point, the charge is incurred.

I'm inclined to decline the alignment but on the other hand, it has been 30k miles and the Michelins aren't exactly cheap tires. Is just carefully watching and measuring tread depth with my gauge over the first say 6k miles an option and then decide? I do know that rotation every 5-6k is ultra-important for even wear and do plan on doing that. What say ye oh wise tire gurus?

I think you can skip it this time.

Maybe splurge on the next pair of tires. In some sense you'll be 80,000 miles into the car and 6 or 8 years in, you can afford the $100 for an alignment.

OP,

My opinion is that you should wait. The car is relatively new and you aren't seeing any symptoms of needing an alignment. Save your cash.

Timo

When I brought my bro's Lexus LS430 for tires and a free alignment check the values were way out of spec. Having them put on Michelin Defender LTX's I want to make sure the tires don't suffer from premature wear so they performed the alignment. The car is 13 years old so I'm not sure when is the last alignment.

I'm surprised your shop does not offer a free alignment check. Find an indie shop that offers free alignment checks for peace of mind. With a brand new car I'm sure you don't need an alignment until the next set of tires.

I always get a lifetime alignment on all my cars. It is double the single alignment charge at Firestone Complete Care. Then I get it aligned every time I rotate the tires. Rotation, balance and alignment are no further charge the rest of the way. You get the best out of your tires and your car will drive great. Plus, if any tire you buy has a mileage warranty, you have all the required service to make a claim, and the shop will support you recognizing you as a good customer.

You bought some highpo tires. Why cheap out now?

Last edited:
Over the years I learned when it comes to alignments I leave well enough alone if I don't have problems. I've had alignments with tire replacements that made things worse, on more than one occasion with different shops. I will be needing tires on my 08 Liberty soon. It steers perfectly and has zero abnormal wear. There is no way I'm risking someone screwing things up. If something changes, or I need to replace a front end part, like a tie-rod, then I'll get an alignment.

Will this shop give you a FREE Alignment Check?...and show you the printout?
Otherwise, I may travel to another shop to get this FREE check and if needed, depending on how close the results are, I may/may not get the alignment done.

Toyota vehicles are pretty good at keeping their alignment for some time and even when the alignment does goes out, it doesn't effect the tire wear to the eye.

Michelin Pilots don't wear well anyways. they have a short life. not sure why you would put these on a corolla though but to each their own. Fuel economy and ride will suffer as will tire life.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Over the years I learned when it comes to alignments I leave well enough alone if I don't have problems. I've had alignments with tire replacements that made things worse, on more than one occasion with different shops. I will be needing tires on my 08 Liberty soon. It steers perfectly and has zero abnormal wear. There is no way I'm risking someone screwing things up. If something changes, or I need to replace a front end part, like a tie-rod, then I'll get an alignment.

Me too. With 75,000 on my OEM Goodyear Assurance tires on the Accord, and all four have worn without any unusual wear, I'm about to put a new set of Goodyears on without any alignment. Its never been aligned, see no reason to do unless the tire shop convinces me different. I do trust their judgement as I've dealt with same shop for many years.

My 2 cents:
I would not get the alignment.
For the reason you gave. 1-4

I only drive the 2002 Ford Ranger.
I went 105,000 miles on the original tires.

I had a free alignment check at 99,000 miles / all within spec.

I had an alignment done after I installed tie-rod ends.

6 Months later, I had the alignment rechecked (free) and it was off alittle.

I have to assume that at my vehicles age, they could always adjust it (to make money).
But it drives good and I'm getting good tire wear after 45,000 more miles.

Save your money until you have a reason to get it aligned.

Edit: One good thing about the advise you get here is: it logical thinking and it saves you money.

Last edited:
If you weren't wearing the old tires funny, you won't be wearing the new tires.

An alignment check wouldn't hurt, but I don't see the point in paying extra money to have them change nothing or make minute changes.

You just spent $800 for zooty sport tires, mounting, and balancing. An alignment check is going to break the bank? On the other hand, you may be lucky to get 35K out of those tires in a perfectly-aligned world, so maybe it doesn't matter. When you get a set of long-warranty Premiers or Defenders, buy the alignment.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I always get a lifetime alignment on all my cars. It is double the single alignment charge at Firestone Complete Care. Then I get it aligned every time I rotate the tires. Rotation, balance and alignment are no further charge the rest of the way. You get the best out of your tires and your car will drive great. Plus, if any tire you buy has a mileage warranty, you have all the required service to make a claim, and the shop will support you recognizing you as a good customer.

This is what I just did when I got Conti TrueContacts for my '05 Corolla. Firestone had a special $50 off their lifetime alignment last week, which made it cheaper than the price of two standard alignments. Too good to pass up. Had the tires (purchased online) installed there, bought the lifetime alignment for $149.99 and paid with my Firestone card, thus get lifetime free rotations.

So every 6k-7k miles I will get a rotation and alignment check; if the alignment is off they will correct that, too. All for "free"---after paying up front of course, but still a great deal for those who plan to keep their car and tires for many years, as I do. Good luck.

Last edited:
Here's another come on that works for me. I don't buy top shelf tires. But I do get them at a local Town Fair tire shop. Maybe I can hunt around and find a better price, maybe. OTOH, TFt offers a free alignment check. Super service that was seamless between their Web site and their counter guy. Go to a trusted shop for tires and alignment.

Here's another come on that works for me. I don't buy top shelf tires. But I do get them at a local Town Fair tire shop. I shop around on line and always end up at their Hanover shop. Maybe I can hunt around and find a better price, maybe. OTOH, TFt offers a free alignment check. Super service that was seamless between their Web site and their counter guy.Confirmations all down the line from 2 sources. Very impressive. Go to a trusted shop for tires and alignment.

From what you said I'd leave it well enough alone.

sometimes you get an alignment dufus who MESSES UP your alignment.

as long as old tires wore fine.. so should the new ones.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I agree with you. Unless your front end 'somehow' wandering out of alignment, if it doesn't risk wearing out your steering and suspension then WHY give it ANY thought? You can keep an eye on your tires, then have an alignment if you notice irregular wear, bad handling, or NVH.

I once went in for an alignment since the car was pulling to one side. I got back home then noticed my tire was low on air, then I aired it up and it never was again quite right. So, it seems they realigned (re:misaligned) it when it was just a tire low on air.

Another time, I asked for an alignment since it was pulling and it ended up being a tire with a slipped belt.

What I'm getting at is, wait until you need it. Once you mess with the factory settings, the car may never be as 'right' again.

Originally Posted By: khittner
You just spent $800 for zooty sport tires, mounting, and balancing. An alignment check is going to break the bank? On the other hand, you may be lucky to get 35K out of those tires in a perfectly-aligned world, so maybe it doesn't matter. When you get a set of long-warranty Premiers or Defenders, buy the alignment.

$800 on a corolla? Yikes.

I certainly got more than 35k on my pilot AS tires I had on my E30, without ever aligning them. But the Toyota setup may wear tires at a slower or faster state...

Id wait on an alignment until a suspension piece is replaced or the steering goes annoyingly to one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back