Wheel Alignment questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

How often do most of you get your wheels aligned?
I got my Corolla's done 2 years ago (approx. 20K) and I notice my pass side tire wearing on the inside. It is a directional snow tire so I can only go front to back.

My main question is whether it makes a difference getting an alignment with the old tires on and then putting my newer summer tires on or should I put the summer tires on and then get the alignment? I would prefer getting it done with the old tires so as not to put uneven wear on my summer tires (in case I don't get it in to the shop right away).

In other words ...does it matter which tires are on it when the alignment is done?

If you see wear after having an alignment after 2 years it sounds like you have some suspension parts that are worn out. Check bushings, ball joints and tie rod ends for play. If you have any play replace them with good parts (Raybestos professional, MOOG, etc., stay away from the el-cheapo suspension parts).

If the tires are the same size then no it doesn't matter. If your snow tires are a different than stock size, offset, etc then yes. When they did the alignment a couple years ago did they just set the toe or were they able to get camber/caster correct as well?

The only time I've had an alignment is when the front of my car was rebuilt...... That has happened twice.

probably about 150K miles ago the last one IIRC.

Hello, I've always heard that cars were good at holding their alignment. Obviously parts wear out and effect wheel angle and should be replaced. Before you do an alignment, carefully inspect all the parts, that's all. I would use my best tires the day I got an alignment. Kira

The potholes are UNBELIEVABLE this year. I know we had a bad winter but I do wonder why our tax dollars aren't used for something that benefits US like road repair...NY has some of the highest taxes in the nation and also some of the worst roads...

I have a very good alignment shop but he's also very busy (and doesn't really take appointments) so I'll probably get the alignment with the old tires and then switch over to my summer tires.

Thanks Guys...

The roads are bad this spring, but then we had the first really bad winter we've seen in years here.
Cause and effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back