Life ends at 359,833 miles - 1998 Chevy Cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping to hit 250K on my Saturn. Should be easy with the 2.2 Ecotec she has in her
smile.gif
I will know in a few years since I drive over 20K per year.

I have hope! My 2005 Dodge Gr Caravan has 175k. Talked to an aquaintance today that has a 99 Gr Caravan she purchased new. It has 350k miles with never a major issue. I stand amazed!

Im impressed ! my 1998 Cavi's motor was puring just fine two years ago when i sold it with 151,000 The manual transmission however was making some awfull noises and the show said it was not he clutch.. it was time to let it go.

Congrats on yours !! thats awesome !!

Originally Posted By: Oldasco
Awesome! My daughter picked up a '98 Cavalier about a year ago with about 105,000 miles...it's still running strong and is a nice car. Been running conventional 5W-30 in it...maybe better consider going with synthetic to try for another 200,000 miles on the car.

qdeezie, did you stick with Dex-Cool coolant? Fresh Dex-Cool is in my kid's Cavalier now.

Yes, I stuck with the Prestone brand Dex-Cool the entire time. I still have a fresh unopened gallon left that I need to get rid of.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Your day to day driving style had to be a contributing factor. Over that many miles little things make a difference.

More than likely this was a major contributing factor. I never really beat on the car too much. A bit of wide open throttle here and there but definitely nothing abusive.

Congrats!!!
smile.gif
I had a similar experience when I traded my 92 Acura Integra in with 270k on the ODO,the car ran great but the clear coat started peeling on the roof and fenders and a few other quirks. Loved the car, but didn't want to put money into a 19 yr old car at the time (It was old enough to vote
shocked.gif
) owned mine for 15 yrs as well. Traded it for the volvo back in Oct 2011.

Awesome! But it was still running so maybe its life hasn't ended?

So many people get rid of their cars so early that they're shocked you can get this many miles out of a vehicle. To some 100k is a real milestone. It used to be but not anymore. I expect and do get 250k out of my vehicles and that is on conventional oil for all the naysayers who believe 'synthetic' is better. They could live on forever after i part ways with them, but after 250k i feel its ok to upgrade. Congrats for hanging on to it for so long.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qdeezie
I finally got rid of the car after 15 years.

With regards to a replacement vehicle, I ended up purchasing a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE to replace the Chevy. I'm still getting to know the Hyundai and I'm definitely looking forward to the ownership experience.

Question for you and by no means am I criticizing your new vehicle choice. After getting that kind of life out of a vehicle that you have fond memories of, did you consider another Chevrolet car in this process? Brand loyalty as far as cars has slipped in the last 20 years and I'm just curious.

Congrats on the life of the old one you took care of so well, and congrats on the new one!

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The trans never required any work. It was the original trans.

Lucky. The 1997 I had required a new transmission at 120k before I even got it. And then at 138k the oil pump went and destroyed the engine. Oddly enough, it was meticulously maintained by my grandfather so apparently just had really bad luck.

Yes and this poster obviously went far beyond the design expectations of GM for the Cavalier. I believe 8yrs/150,000 miles is the point before the likelyhood of way more issues occurs. Not that it happens to all vehicles irrelevant to brand but all of them except my 95 Civic seem to have more annoyances and replacements. The 95 Civic had lots of annoyances at 230k so I sold it in need of timing belt, suspension, radiator to someone willing to pay $2500 for it.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
I finally got rid of the car after 15 years.

With regards to a replacement vehicle, I ended up purchasing a brand new 2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe SE to replace the Chevy. I'm still getting to know the Hyundai and I'm definitely looking forward to the ownership experience.

Question for you and by no means am I criticizing your new vehicle choice. After getting that kind of life out of a vehicle that you have fond memories of, did you consider another Chevrolet car in this process? Brand loyalty as far as cars has slipped in the last 20 years and I'm just curious.

Congrats on the life of the old one you took care of so well, and congrats on the new one!

A few reasons why I didn't go back with another Chevy. That was the first place I looked, but I wanted to continue owning a 2 door fuel efficient coupe and Chevy currently does not make an equivalent to the Cavalier I had.

Also, I test drove a Chevy Cruze (not a coupe, but I wanted to see what it was about anyway to see if they could win me over with a 4 door) and I really did not like the way the transmission shifted and the engine had a vibration that I felt on the inside that I really didn't care for.

I thought the Cruze was a really good car (especially the handling and suspension), but the drivetrain was a sore point in my opinion. If Chevy would have had a 2 door Cruze with a smoother/better shifting trans and an engine without the vibration, I would have strongly considered sticking with the brand.

In test driving the Hyundai, it became clear to me that it was what I was looking for. I know that there's not a huge market for 2 door vehicles anymore, but I felt like Chevy dropped the ball by not offering one in the segment that I was looking at combined with the fact that the drivetrain on the Cruze needs work in my opinion.

Did you compare the Hyundai to a Civic coupe? If so, what are your thoughts on that?

Big kudos for getting so much use out of your Chevy. I dream of getting my current car to at least 200k, but I feel like my auto-ADHD will kick in at some point and I'll feel a strong urge to move on at some point between 100k and 150k.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Qdeezie,

What did you do with the 98 Cavalier? Trade it in, junk yard etc...

Salvage yard. That way I'd get the most for it with the least headache.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Qdeezie,

What did you do with the 98 Cavalier? Trade it in, junk yard etc...

Salvage yard. That way I'd get the most for it with the least headache.

Well it might live on for a while as a wrecking yard racer for a while! One yard near me has an oval and the guys get to do some wheel to wheel racing in old cars that come in with no valuable parts.

Originally Posted By: Mykl
Did you compare the Hyundai to a Civic coupe? If so, what are your thoughts on that?

Big kudos for getting so much use out of your Chevy. I dream of getting my current car to at least 200k, but I feel like my auto-ADHD will kick in at some point and I'll feel a strong urge to move on at some point between 100k and 150k.

I took a long, hard look at the Civic, but I didn't test drive it. So, I can't comment in depth as I did for the Cruze, but I do feel that the Civic is a reliable vehicle at the very least based on reputation alone.

I totally understand about the auto-ADHD. I've wanted another car for a long, long time.....since 1999 to be exact, but I ended up holding on to it since I had the Cavalier paid for in a relatively short period of time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mykl

I took a long, hard look at the Civic, but I didn't test drive it. So, I can't comment in depth as I did for the Cruze, but I do feel that the Civic is a reliable vehicle at the very least based on reputation alone.

I totally understand about the auto-ADHD. I've wanted another car for a long, long time.....since 1999 to be exact, but I ended up holding on to it since I had the Cavalier paid for in a relatively short period of time.

I'll find myself in that situation pretty soon. I expect to have the Focus paid off shortly.

The reasonable part of me wants to keep it until it dies. The likes-shiny-things part of me wants to trade it. Luckily for me, I only find the base "stripper" models appealing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back