Lexus tops J.D. Power's most dependable car again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss. Nice to see GM is doing better. Surprised to see Porsche so high.

Quote:
Toyota Motor Corporation Models Receive Seven Awards; General Motors Models Receive Four

d113c91c0a0d02b701d3ac6eb051e9f9.jpg
d114582d0a0d02b701d3ac6ea4e64678.jpg

d114ebe10a0d02b701d3ac6e1cd7773e.jpg

Funny how Audi is ranked so poor, yet two of their cars are recommended.

Funny also how VW is worse, and we have had zero issues (knock on wood) with ours.

If they would only make an RX450h hybrid FWD with 32 MPG city and a THIRD ROW, we would buy one.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If they would only make an RX450h hybrid FWD with 32 MPG city and a THIRD ROW, we would buy one.

There are many rumors that Lexus will come out with another Crossover with a third row. Time will tell.

That survey has been repeatedly proven to be very flawed. Any visit to the dealer is tallied, even if it's dumb stuff like "I don't understand how to use the GPS system." Ford got screwed when SYNC started hitting because people couldn't figure out how to use it.

Basically a catastrophic motor failure is given the same weight as trivial things like a trim piece that rattles.

Similar logic applies to Buick: higher average age and hence the cars don't get driven as much (so less chance to break).

How can they rate 2013 models when it's only the SECOND month in February of 2013? Wouldn't a survey of the whole year would be a better survey instead of two months?

Really worth the 50k+ likely cost for "better" MPG? Nice vehicle irregardless.

Visiting the dealer for any reason in the first two years is absolutely annoying. I don't think this has any real long term trend set of a vehicle but I found it quite annoying bringing my 2004 WRX back 5 times in warranty for vibration, brake issues and trim problem in the first year. At least they handed off a loaner albeit an outback.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287
How can they rate 2013 models when it's only the SECOND month in February of 2013? Wouldn't a survey of the whole year would be a better survey instead of two months?

I think this is a survey of 2010 models after 3 years of ownership.

I thought they used 2 year old vehicles to get these numbers? So the 2013 survey used 2011 models, the 2014 will use 2012, etc. They use these to monitor the progress the brands have made. I could be way off on this.

Also, funny how Ram ranked 9th yet the 1500-3500 aren't on the list for large trucks.

Originally Posted By: Danh

I think this is a survey of 2010 models after 3 years of ownership.

You are right.

Quote:
This car reliability study measures problems experienced during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old (2010 model year) vehicles, includes 202 different problem symptoms across all areas of the vehicle. Overall dependability is determined by the level of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100), with a lower score reflecting higher quality. The Vehicle Dependability Study is used extensively by vehicle manufacturers worldwide to help design and build better vehicles, which typically translates to higher resale values and higher customer loyalty.
Learn more about the 2013 Dependability Study

Originally Posted By: hypervish
Discuss. Nice to see GM is doing better. Surprised to see Porsche so high.

2011 was the first year ever Porsche built over 100,000 vehicles, a whopping 118,000 to be exact.

Porsche, and other low volume makes, shouldn't even be included in these rankings against true mass production manufacturers in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Visiting the dealer for any reason in the first two years is absolutely annoying.

I let myself get suckered into prepaying for services through 100k on my Camry, and at least the dealer makes the visit pretty painless. Pull up to the door, it automatically opens, and then I'm inside from the cold/rain/snow/heat. I wind up in a nice waiting room, complimentary coffee and internet access. Leaving is the reverse. In some ways it's the way I'd wish for it for the wife (since it's her car, after all! too bad she can't take it in).

But that's routine service. I agree, any breaking before 100k/4 years (give or take) is a letdown. Even if you accept that you're the statistical flier.

Originally Posted By: rjundi

Really worth the 50k+ likely cost for "better" MPG? Nice vehicle irregardless.

32 vs 17 on a vehicle that is outfit a little better and that we like? sure. Its not $50k, its like a $4k cost delta. If doing all city (like my wife does), and assuming growing fuel costs, yes.

Originally Posted By: RamFan

I thought they used 2 year old vehicles to get these numbers? So the 2013 survey used 2011 models, the 2014 will use 2012, etc. They use these to monitor the progress the brands have made. I could be way off on this.

Also, funny how Ram ranked 9th yet the 1500-3500 aren't on the list for large trucks.

That makes more sense. I was going to say don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Wow, Dodge is terrible, how many years have they been close to the bottom? Which vehicle brings them way down in the rankings?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Wow, Dodge is terrible, how many years have they been close to the bottom? Which vehicle brings them way down in the rankings?

I can't help but think that the Caliber, Nitro and Avenger are the cause of this. I've had relatively zero issues with my Charger. Had to replace the tie rods and the cam position sensor. Everything else has been routine, [censored], the tie rods should be considered routine for most Chrysler vehicles lol.

My mom's Sebring Convertible (Avenger with fancy badge and rag top) on the other hand has been a complete nightmare. Driver's side tie rod, shift lock actuator (recall) and instrument cluster have all needed replacing. The trans needed reprograming 3 days after purchase, door hinge rusted out in about a year, rear driver's side window stopped working, cd player jams and the retaining clips on the top holder sheared off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back