Letting Oil Drain Overnight

I let mine drain for at least a week. Seriously….why not figure out a way to flip the car over and get every last drop out

Or just start it up and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes to pump the last of the oil out 😁😁😁

Call me lazy I guess.
I pull the drain plug out, remove dipstick and oil fill cap, remove the filter, replace filter, reinstall drain plug, and fill it up with new oil.
Start to finish is less than 15 minutes.
I'm not draining it for hours, or days.
Within 3 minutes its barely dripping.

Or just start it up and let it run for 5 or 10 minutes to pump the last of the oil out 😁😁😁

Call me lazy I guess.
I pull the drain plug out, remove dipstick and oil fill cap, remove the filter, replace filter, reinstall drain plug, and fill it up with new oil.
Start to finish is less than 15 minutes.
I'm not draining it for hours, or days.
Within 3 minutes its barely dripping.
Do the KISS method..... Keep It Simple Stupid..... :D

Had a customers car on jack stands to perform front end work, also to change oil and filter. Removed drain plug let drain over week end. Replaced filter and drain plug, added 5 qts oil, started engine no oil pressure. Pump would not pick up oil. Removed oil sender forced oil down to pump. Started engine, pump pick up oil pressure, what a relief. Be careful with extended drain time!

Had a customers car on jack stands to perform front end work, also to change oil and filter. Removed drain plug let drain over week end. Replaced filter and drain plug, added 5 qts oil, started engine no oil pressure. Pump would not pick up oil. Removed oil sender forced oil down to pump. Started engine, pump pick up oil pressure, what a relief. Be careful with extended drain time!
Thanks for the input, first time I’ve heard of that. Do you remember what kind of car/engine?

I've tried the extractor, and pulling the drain plug gets more oil out, in all three of my vehicles. An extractor leaves me with a few questions. For example in this post people are concerned with getting as much oil out as possible, draining oil overnight so they can get every possible drop out. Oil can take several hours to drain from high places in the engine and get to the pan. Two beers and an extractor isn't getting that oil out. I've extracted oil, couldn't get another drop in the extractor, then I pulled the drain plug and got more oil out, leaving it out for half an hour. That might have put me to beer #3, etc, the longer I let it drip. Granted I didn't get much oil, only a couple of ounces at most but for the purpose of this thread the extractor imo falls short.

Having said that how much longer will an engine last allowing oil to drain into a collection pan overnight? My bet, not much with sane OCIs. I recall reading about people starting their engine with the drain plug out to try and get more oil out, others pouring fresh clean oil through the engine to do some extra cleaning on the way down to the pan. No comment on either of those practices. At some point the OCD has to stop.

Regarding the extractor it is a great tool, and on certain vehicles an asset for changing oil. My drain plugs are easy to access, and two of my three vehicles I have to get under to get the filter. So it sits in a box until I do a transmission service, or something else requiring it. It earns it's keep pre-draining ATF making pan drops much easier.

Haven't used mine since selling my inboard engine boat, and getting a new boat with outboard engines.
On my inboard boat I had to use the vacuum pump, because I couldn't drain it.
I would rather crawl under my vehicles and pull the drain plug.
What would be great is if all drain plugs used the same size wrench. All the brands should get together and choose a plug, and use only that plug.
Lets say they all decide to use a plug that takes a 17 mm wrench...wouldn't it be great to know that all drain plugs use a 17 mm wrench, and all crush washers are the same size no matter where you buy it at.

7nfb82.jpg

Let it drain, then use a suction pump to extract from the top, if you really are OCD about. Just comes down to time.

How would you know?? Stop lying to these people. Let's analyze this.

White Jetta....check.
White GOLF. And a GD wagon too that has some big, angry gonads.
Roof rack....check.
Gotta put the kids somewhere.
Liqui Moly products....check.
Well...........
You KNOW you're a mimosa and cosmopolitan type of guy.
With a healthy shot of Tequila.
You're a Gucci purse away from being a basic white gi....lemme stop.
Gucci? How passe. LV. And it's a clutch. Something to keep in the hand while he beats some a$$ with it.

:p

If you're getting a 3-5 second drip, I'd imagine the amount of additional oil you'd collect over several hours would be miniscule.

I have a bad back. I get under my vehicle once. I'm under it maybe 2-3 minutes. She slows to a drop, she gets the plug back in.
The oil I am taking out probably has a couple thousand more miles left on it before it's toast. A quarter cup of old oil isn't going to hurt 6 quarts of new Valvoline, Castrol, or Pennzoil. It's very soothing to get out from under the truck quickly and to be in as little pain as possible.

Some of y'all eat way too much lunch. Don't you know it's better to get all of the old food out before you put new food in ;)

Unless you only eat lunch. Then you are probably doing it the correct way.

For those of you who drink beer and wait, why not just set up a rig to release beer into the engine while you are under the vehicle. You can drink the beer when it comes out of the drain. When the beer coming out tastes like beer, you are done. There are chemical compounds in some beers that clean the human digestive system right out, so it should be good enough to clean them parts up inside the motor.

Mrs. CleanSump says; "Too much Jingle Bell. Should just to do it." in something that resembles English.
(She asked what I am reading instead of being out front pulling weeds.)

When I started helping out in my father's shop (1968 - 1970?) I used to do the simple stuff like oil changes after major engine work was done - valve grinds, etc.

He told me not to let the oil drain overnight, especially with Mopars - they tend to lose prime. 🤷‍♂️

Since then, I always replace the drain plug when the drain becomes a real low frequency drip.

I liked top side oil changes, back when I had a VW. No need to get underneath. Couldn't see much anyhow, not with a bellpan in the way. 255k on the turbo before it went, 10-12k OCI's. I'm not sure why the turbo went but the shaft snapped in half. Put a bigger turbo on with a chip, went back to 10k OCI's, and no problems when I sold it at 314k, not even with a heavy right foot. Oil drain plug was *never* removed the entire time I owned it, from new.

Lost zero sleep over residual oil left inside the engine during an oil change... only upshot of doing bottomside oil changes is that I could go back to changing oil stone cold. 0W20 flows just fine at 20F.

I am very impatient. I spend about 5 min draining. After about 2 min it starts dribbling. Then I throw a full quart of fresh oil in and wait three minutes and that's it.

Back