Letting Oil Drain Overnight

Drain it hot, that's all. Pouring a clean quart through is kind of a waste because new oil displaces the dirty oil and really doesn't get as much of the old stuff as you think, Drain that fresh oil into a clean container and you'll see.

Last edited:
Posting just to be included on a 9 page thread about something so inconsequential.

Not sure why the moment a person decides an oil change is necessary, the oil in the sump suddenly is incapable of properly lubing the engine and must be toweled off every component.

Drain it hot, that's all. Pouring a clean through is kind of a waste because new oil displaces the dirty oil and really doesn't get as much of the old stuff as you think, Drain that fresh oil into a clean container and you'll see.
I’ve never understood the point or need to pour a quart of new oil just to let it drain out

Last edited:
Some of these Chrysler Eco Diesels require at least a 20 minute wait after refilling the oil, before you start the engine. So perhaps there may be something to this whole "lose prime" thing?

Why else would they require such a "waiting period" before restarting the engine after refilling the oil? It's not like they're liberals buying guns.

Why else would they require such a "waiting period" before restarting the engine after refilling the oil?
Seems like a strange procedure to me. Oil poured into the engine should hit the sump in no time, so maybe some engineer didn't know how to size the oil drain back paths to the sump. 😄

Seems like a strange procedure to me. Oil poured into the engine should hit the sump in no time, so maybe some engineer didn't know how to size the oil drain back paths to the sump. 😄
Me too. But I've heard about it on both the Jeep and Ram forums in regards to the Eco Diesel. I don't know the actual importance of it, or if the engine would be at all "damaged" if this procedure wasn't adhered to.

I don't doubt it. That engine was, and continues to be a big disaster for Chrysler. I think it's finally been discontinued in the Ram 1500.

Changed the oil in the Sienna first thing this morning. Cold drain. And installed the plug right about this point… how long do you reckon I got before this thing grenades?

Next up - leaving the toilet seat up and wearing white after Labor Day. I’m living life fast and loose here folks.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 44
Regarding cold or hot, i change the oil in my cars cold, just because i don't quite fancy getting hot oil running down my arm 😅

Changed the oil in the Sienna first thing this morning. Cold drain. And installed the plug right about this point… how long do you reckon I got before this thing grenades?

Next up - leaving the toilet seat up and wearing white after Labor Day. I’m living life fast and loose here folks.
You better start looking at new vehicles . That one is done for ...

On my car a 20min drain will get exactly 5 qts, no need for extra wait time. Of course, it could vary depends on vehicles...

I think your not getting much more out draining overnight, maybe a few more oz out.
You risk forgetting and starting it in a.m. with no oil I.M.O. if note or something is not left to remind you, unless it's on ramps or jacks

You risk forgetting and starting it in a.m. with no oil I.M.O. if note or something ...
Yep, I do put a note on the windshield and leave the hood open if I let it drain over night. Last thing I'd want is no oil in the sump on a forgetful start-up.

Reactions: wlk
Regarding cold or hot, i change the oil in my cars cold, just because i don't quite fancy getting hot oil running down my arm 😅
I always drain it hot. Really hot, like leave the car running, jack it up, put jack stands under it, break loose the drain plug, position the PIGS to protect the floor, drain pan in place, then shut the engine off and finish removing the HOT drain plug with my bare hand and craftsman tool CMMT14122. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2662099591...FcJnRrzzGSyoBbzN6IVlnVoA==|tkp:Bk9SR-rp_eOLYg
Greatest little tool since sliced bread. While the oil drains, I go in the house, shower and eat supper, sleep peacefully til am, then go out to a COLD engine, remove the filter, fill the new one up and finish changing oil.
On my vehicles (trusty GM 3800s), I have done the scientific method by testing, and when the oil stops flowing and starts dripping, I pulled the drain pan and replaced it with a 1500 ml beaker. Overnight, I get another 250ml of oil, which isn't that much, but in the am, I get to work on an engine cool to the touch anywhere.
Aside from all my OCD, my methods, madness, and reasoning are not subject to public opinion. Thanks for reading. :) :)🔥
I'm not into getting burned either, and I don't. Neither do I drop the oil plug into hot oil. I love magnets.

BOOM!

Drain plugs are put on the bottom of the oil pan for a reason. Just as the dipstick tube is placed at the top of the engine. Both are designed so gravity works in your favor.

Why would you spend $100.00+ on a machine that has to fight it in order to work at all?
Me and drain plugs have a…. Not so great relationship. Truck has a Fumoto valve, van gets sucked out because the drain plug is seized to the pan. $25, I suck out 6 quarts and it takes exactly 6qts to bring it back to the top of the full mark on the dipstick.And I don’t have to jack up/drive up ramps for the van this way, major win!

I’ve also seen enough “I do cars” engine tear downs that I’m a firm believer in if there’s enough shmoo in the bottom of the oil pan that you’re worried it won’t all drain out, you have far bigger problems happening internally in that engine.

Also the raccoon came back last night….. almost had me a hat.
IMG_7661.jpeg

Back