Let’s talk major kitchen appliances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, on and on. It’s all the same. Made by the same company. Junk.

Truthfully I don’t know which brand is reliable anymore unless you spend bigger money for Miele or similar brands which are out of reach for most.

Aside from the aforementioned Samsung fridge the rest of my house is Miele - and it has been worth the premium I paid.

UD

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Bosch dishwasher, and Whirlpool everything else here. I'm happy.
Samsung makes products that folks buy on appearance, not performance.

Not particularly singling you out, but OP said the Samsung refrigerator is staying....

So appearance plays into it.

The Yale appliance blog claims Samsung ranges are serviced half of the national average. However they say Samsung dishwashers are reliable too, so it may need a grain of salt.

Cnet, fwiw, has a bunch of Samsung ranges on the list of best of 2018.

Not trying to "sell" Samsung, but I'm not sure the range would be as big a gamble.

I'd say match the range and fridge, then get a Bosch dishwasher with pocket handle.

Keep what you have!!! If what you have works well enough, I would just use them for now and only replace if something major goes. All my relatively new appliances under 10 years have had issues. The junk being sold today might give you 5 years or so with no problems but I personally wouldnt waste money on appliances these days. Disgusting the junk they get away with selling.

We have LG appliances. We really like them alot. The dishwasher has a really nice interior with adjustable racks which we like. It also has an extra rack on top for long utensils. It is so quiet it's tough to know if it's running. Also I like that it has a cleanable filter that prevents stuff from going through the impeller and a 10 year motor warranty.Like our fridge and stove also. We really like LG products and deals can be made using coupon codes through lowes online. Also some good rebates on lg appliance going on now.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Bosch dishwasher, and Whirlpool everything else here. I'm happy.
Samsung makes products that folks buy on appearance, not performance.

I hear Bosch is good for dishwashers too...i have to disagree about Whirlpool though..WP fridge= drain clogged issue within a couple years, stove dead after 8 years, dishwasher dead in 7 years and fridge problems too. All under 10 years old. I always thought WP was superior til now. I own Jenn Air, KitchenAid, and whirlpool, all equally cheap junk and bad designs. I think all stuff today is likely junk though..so maybe 8 years life is pretty good?

remodeling out kitchen. We went with samsung refrigerator, samsung smooth cooktop, Samsung duoflex oven ( which was not cheap). The dishwasher works ok and is not too old so we left that. If i replace it, i will probably go with bosch. Did replace my clothes washing machine, with maytag.

Ratings for samsung dishwashers are not good, and so so for clothes washers.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
What’s the general feeling for LG appliances?

We bought a LG dishwasher a few years ago. It had features others did not have at that price point like a stainless interior. However, it has been a real problem. First one delivered was dead from the factory. The installers were not happy. A week later we got the replacement. It had to be repaired twice under warranty in the first year. Then it started leaking the second year. It ruined the kitchen floor below it, and the ceiling in the basement below before we realized it was leaking.

On the plus side, it is very quiet and cleans well. Buy at your own risk.

The house i am buying has a newer French door Samsung fridge in stainless steel and that is staying. The dishwasher, stove, microwave are i believe original and are older and white in color. I’d like to buy a new dishwasher, stove, and microwave. I am not brand loyal, i don’t care where it’s made. I am looking for the best bang for the buck and something that will last. Lowe’s wanted to sell me all Samsung appliances so it matches the fridge but i just don’t know how reliable Samsung is. I have heard LG is good but agian that’s just rumors i have heard.

Help!
Thanks

I would be reading Consumer Reports.

What’s the general feeling for LG appliances?

In my old home, I bought an LG package of a Refrigerator, range and dish washer at Home Depot on one of the those Memorial Day sales 5 years ago. We sold the home this past January and the buyer wanted the appliances. These weren't high end. Top Freezer fridge, mid range dishwasher and range. The only problem I had was with the convection fan in the range and LG fixed it promptly. We were really happy with them. If the fridge had a larger capacity, I would have bought the same model again at the new house. I think sometimes the repair people doing contracted warranty work are more the problem than the company who manufactured it. You get some good ones and you can get some bad ones.

One word of warning, this hot new finish, black stainless steel seems to just be a tinted clear coat. It scratches easily and and can wear off, looking really bad afterwords.

I'll share my philosophy on appliances. As cool as some models are, I don't think think any of them regardless of brand last like they used to. When they do break down after the warranty period, repairs are usually so costly, it's more cost effective to by another mid range model. (i.e., our 5 year old samsung electric dryer had it's heat sensor got out. they wanted $475 to fix it. I bought a Maytag for around the same. No, it doesn't match the washer but, it dryes the clothes fine and it's under warranty).

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Stay with appliances that don't have all the bells and whistles.

Id rather have a base model Miele than a high end version of anything else.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Stay with appliances that don't have all the bells and whistles.

Id rather have a base model Miele than a high end version of anything else.

UD

This.

I have a mix;
Amana refrigerator
Bosch cooktop
GE Profile microwave
KitchenAid dishwasher
Miele double oven

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Maytag, Whirlpool, KitchenAid, on and on. It’s all the same. Made by the same company. Junk.

Truthfully I don’t know which brand is reliable anymore unless you spend bigger money for Miele or similar brands which are out of reach for most.

Do you proof read before you post?

I'm glad most of my appliances have some age on them, built when design and build quality was still good:

5 burner propane Wolf cooktop, 15 years, serviced once under warranty
Amana bottom freezer fridge, 15 years, two minor repairs outside warranty
GE Profile range hood, 15 years, I replaced both halogen lights (parts were free from GE)
GE Profile warming drawer, 15 years, flawless
GE Profile double wall oven, 15 years, flawless
Whirlpool Gold dishwasher, 6 years, flawless
Maytag Bravos electric dryer, 8 years, flawless
Sharp midsize microwave, 12 years, flawless
Whirlpool washer, 20 years, flawless (can I please have another?)

It really is true. They don't build them like they used to.

98? Miele g851sc-dish washer still working beautifully every day- never serviced
04 Miele W1215 (220V) washer - 10500+ cycles at lasts of 2 services (cold water inlet, cold water inlet, brushes @ 80% at service life @ 10.5K)
04 Miele W1405T dryer- no service required - drying matches bathing cycles
99 Miele H3731b ovens- dual 24"/60CM ranges - top one serviced in 2015 for new Up/down pad -
(or around these dates can't be exact)

all parts easily available and service within 2-3 days when called for. (happy to give contact for those living in LA)

Had a problem with the blue moon vac(05?)- got a d deal on a trade in to a later model in about 05
Replacement has been flawless...

UD

Last edited:
Miele and some other German brands are very good. I’ve never heard a bad thing about them. Appliances have really changed in the last 5 years or so. They used to be a 20 plus year investment, now they are disposable like cheap electronics. It’s such a hit and miss decision now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back