Samsung appliances - yay or nay?

how are Bosch refrigerators? I have heard their dishwashers are top notch but not much about their refrigerators.

I can’t imagine paying $3,300 for a fridge. That is crazy to me. 😮

I think the whirlpool top freezer I have (new 12 years ago) was around $600-700
Unfortunately, I did not choose the fridge. Mama did, and she was sold on how beautiful it was. I get to maintain it. If it were up to me, I'd have a Whirlpool side by side, with a painted black finish.

Florida, and especially my specific location is loaded with lightning strikes. I back up to the everglades, so I'm the first row of trees around! I've been directly hit a number of times now.

I have 2 different type of surge protectors in the outside main breaker box (an airgap for lightning and a surge blocker), and every appliance on it's own surge protector. This seems to have helped somewhat. The Samsung with it's display and electronics is absolutely a risk.

how are Bosch refrigerators? I have heard their dishwashers are top notch but not much about their refrigerators.

Still good, decent quality. They are mostly still made here in Munich. Parts for the Production are deliverd from European companys.
Bosch and Siemens merged their Appliance bussines. Or, more Precise, Siemens appliances get the Bosch name print on it.
The appliances are the same beside the different company names on it.
My Siemens Refrigerator is running well since 8 Years.

Bought one of the Samsung 4 door refrigerators for a few years ago, that will be the last Samsung to darken our door. Computer replaced twice, ice maker in the refrigeration section never worked correctly since day 1. Then the compressor went, and nobody could / would work on it because it ran on propane, even under warranty. I wouldn't give them a dime of my money after that.

Our Samsung dishwasher was loud and the bottom seal collected food waste and would smell real bad after a while. Cleaning it wasn’t exactly an easy task either, very bad design IMO.

Our current Samsung fridge has a problem with the ice maker, it freezes over. Otherwise a great fridge.
But the ice maker freezing is real bad. Currently I have it “off” and the auger removed, but the cooling coil still becomes a big icicle after only a week or so. I don’t think it goes through thaw cycles as it’s supposed to.

We are using a 20 year old washer/dryer set, Kenmore brand, bought at a Sears Dent and Scratch store. The Kenmores I have are American made, by Whirlpool. The washer has never failed, the dryer has had its drum belt replaced once.

We also have a 20 year old Kenmore/Whirlpool refrigerator that has never failed.

The thing that is sad is, if I ever need to replace these appliances, I have no basis to believe the Whirlpool made appliances of today are as good as those made 20 years ago.

We are using a 20 year old washer/dryer set, Kenmore brand, bought at a Sears Dent and Scratch store. The Kenmores I have are American made, by Whirlpool. The washer has never failed, the dryer has had its drum belt replaced once.

We also have a 20 year old Kenmore/Whirlpool refrigerator that has never failed.

The thing that is sad is, if I ever need to replace these appliances, I have no basis to believe the Whirlpool made appliances of today are as good as those made 20 years ago.
They just closed our Sears Hometown that mainly sold appliances - yes, the small town owner knew who fast Eddie is …

Back in the day - the Sears Procurement folks knew appliances and only good units could keep the Kenmore name …
We have a kitchen full of 15 year old Kenmore Elite stainless stuff - still in use - no repairs …Raised a family …

My wife and I purchased a slide-in Electric range (with fast preheat and air fry) and a side-by-side fridge, both Whirlpool. We got a good deal on both at Costco during a Black Friday 2022 promotion. I had been researching ranges and refrigerators, and found a majority of people saying to stay away from Samsung (and sometimes LG) for large appliances. My brother in law had a French door Samsung fridge that was perhaps two years old before giving out. My mother’s LG dehumidifier didn’t even last that long. Another issue, particularly with Samsung and LG, is parts availability is terrible, even by today’s standards. It seems like Bosch is a winner, but more expensive and harder to get. Whirlpool/Amana/Frigidaire or GE are a reasonable compromise. For the record, my previous range was a GE and the fridge was a Whirlpool. Both lasted about 9 years… which is unfortunately what I expect these days.

My SIL was customer service manager at HD for almost eight years. Of all the appliances sold, Samsung was by far the ones that were returned for QC reasons.

Back