Samsung appliances - yay or nay?

Samsung/LG appliances have been terrible for me. Lots of fancy features but usually some major design flaws too. I don't think there is a working ice maker after 12 months of ownership for my model refrigerator because eventually 100% of them ice up and yet this design is sold year after year with no changes. They tend to be throwaways around the 3-5 year mark. I had a Samsung drier that lasted 3 years. Bosch, Miele, and certain models from Speed Queen are the way to go IMO.

I have read several appliance threads here recently. Seems like car brands, one person had great luck with a brand, next person got 2 years from the same brand :(

Our Samsung fridge has been great so far. Basic unit though with just an ice maker. No water/cube dispenser. It’s slow at making ice cubes, other than that, no complaints. Holds a hella lot of food too. Nicely lit up on the inside as well.

I wouldn't do a samsung side-by-side fridge. The condensation circulation holes freeze and it leaks the condensate onto the floor.

Earlier this month we bought a new fridge. I liked the look and price of the Samsung bespoke model, but the wife was talking to a Lowe's person and was told it's nearly impossible to get someone to service it if a repair is needed. We ended up spending a little more for a Whirlpool French door model, which has been good so far.

Earlier this month we bought a new fridge. I liked the look and price of the Samsung bespoke model, but the wife was talking to a Lowe's person and was told it's nearly impossible to get someone to service it if a repair is needed. We ended up spending a little more for a Whirlpool French door model, which has been good so far.
Yes, this is the biggest issue with LG and Samsung from what I understand is no one is willing to work on them and parts are an issue to obtain if needed.

I'll also respond to the happy wife, happy life comments: my wife is happy when I make the decisions for things like this after researching. She trusts my judgement and that means we both live a happy life.

I have a $3,300, 2 year old bottom freezer, Samsung Fridge. The icemaker has been replaced twice, and the plastic housing (the inside of the fridge at the icemaker) is cracking, the icemaker latch has broken (can't be replaced as it's integral with the plastic housing) and I have to tape the thing shut. AND defrost the icemaker every 2 months. Plus it takes 30+ seconds to get a glass of ice.

Also, it only dispenses about 4 ounces of cold water. (prob the volume of the filter and lines)

Bottom freezer is impossible to pull out all the way, and I have to repeatedly ram it open it to get it open fully. Insane.

While the fridge seems to cool well, and it looks really nice, too many things are not right. The shelves are the wrong height for a quart of half n half, or a gallon of milk. WHO DOES THIS??? And the sliding shelf collapses.

It's not robust. It's just polished.

I do like the primary/secondary door opening setup, because I have to store the Half n Half in the door. And I can open just the outer panel. Which supposedly saves energy by not dumping as much cool air into the kitchen.

My 20 year old Kitchen Aid side by side is a 100% better product. Even though it is not pretty like the Samsung

Conclusion: I will never purchase another Samsung fridge.
EDIT: I feel a big part of the problem is the layout. A side by side won't have the same icemaker issues or shelf height limitations.

Last edited:
Nope.

Not happy with the longevity of their fridges, or their washers, dryers.

Yup, even IF you can get someone out there to look at it apparently an $1800 appliance has $5K worth of parts in it and every replaceable part is too expensive to replace. These are all throwaway appliances.

Bad memories of a Samsung washer that fried its computer twice and flooded the laundry room when the water pump broke off. All within the space of 3 years. Love Samsung electronics but will never buy another one of their appliances.

I would stay away from Samsung unless you get a deal you can't refuse.

I've hear more "broke after 2 years" than "it's lasted me for 10 years" experiences. According to a repair man I spoke with, getting replacement parts is difficult and not all of them are supported like ever screw, panel, and motor on a Maytag etc. etc.

Both my sons have had Samsung/LG appliances (fridges, washers and dryers) and both hated them! My GE 3 door fridge with 2 ice makers is 10 years old and has never needed a repair. 🤞

I can’t imagine paying $3,300 for a fridge. That is crazy to me. 😮
Over 18 years ago, I paid the shocking price of $3000 for a KitchenAid bottom freezer with ice and water dispensers. The reason my wife chose that fridge is because she wanted a counter-depth. At the time, I recall telling her she was nuts and that I've paid much less than that for cars! After a couple of years the compressor failed and Whirlpool repaired it under warranty. Other than that and a leaking water valve, it's been great until the ice maker failed but I'm still using it sans ice.

Back