Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: AVB
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Camprunner
(Ask me how I know!)

How do you know?

A cordless grinder with a cutoff wheel will get the job done. The combination lock on my dad's safe broke and we couldn't get the safe open. I took a corded grinder and cut a hole in the door around where the dial went. There was a hardened plate behind the door skin that is supposed to hinder anyone from drilling through it. The grinder cut right through it and I was able to trip the lever that locks the bolts in the door and open the door like normal.

You dont cut through the door. Its the most reinforced. You cut through the side.

I wanted to be able to repair it. I only had to cut out about a 5"x7" hole that I can weld back in. I got lucky in that I could reach the lock lever from the hole and didn't have to butcher it up more.

Instructor of mine also was a electrician. Installed a large speaker that was so loud that perps would try and find the exit asap. Found a couple writhing in pain on the floor when the cops showed.

You have to keep this all in perspective. Otherwise you can easily get carried away to the point of ridiculousness. Who realistically is going to spend $10K on a gun safe?.

Exactly. I was just pointing out that they are all glorified filing cabinets to anyone with a few hundred dollars worth of tools.

The fact that a determined person with some tools can get into them doesn't diminish their value.

we all have locks on our doors that a punk with a jump key can probably defeat in 10 seconds...but as it makes things a little more difficult than for the kid who burgled us in our sleep on the one day of the year that we left the back door unlocked, and the one day of the year that he was rattling back doors while waiting for the first morning train to take him home, we lost phones, wallets, and laptops.

If the door had been locked, he would have moved on to the next.

As it was, the only thing our neighbour lost from his unlocked downstairs bathroom was the torch that the perp brought into our place.

So - Liberty Safes. I hear them advertised on the radio and promoted by people like Sean Hannity. And they seem to be also fairly well-regarded by the YouTube firearms reviewer guys.

Couple videos:

Pry test of an entry-level Liberty (similar to what I'll likely end up with) vs. a couple of other brands. Amazing how easily they're able to pry the doors off the other 2. Yes, this is off Liberty's channel. But they don't appear to try to be easier on the Liberty:

https://youtu.be/P1iDz8Yt-

YouTube reviewer "MrGuns&Gear" reviewing the Liberty "Fatboy Jr."

https://youtu.be/mnKkmfgVIGc

If you can pry it open, it is not a safe. Also make sure you compare the fire ratings.

Your first link doesn't work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
The fact that a determined person with some tools can get into them doesn't diminish their value.

Of course it does. Makes no sense to spend big bucks on a fancy safe thinking it provides all the security you need. Couple the safe with a burglar alarm so it limits the amount of time the criminals will have in your house before the police show up.

There is a good way to increase the security of any gun safe. Have a professional sign made that says the following:

DANGER ! THIS SAFE CONTAINS BLACK POWDER. KEEP SPARKS AND HEAT AWAY.

Kinda makes Mr. Harbor Freight angle grinder think, doesn't it?

AMSEC for safes.

Snap Safe is a modular safe, meaning you can bolt it together. Great if you have to move, as you can disassemble it into pieces. Its a lot easier to move a side at a time that weighs 100 lbs than a safe that weighs 600 lbs.

Now you've got me interested in this modular safe, being an apartment-dweller, currently.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
AMSEC for safes.

Snap Safe is a modular safe, meaning you can bolt it together. Great if you have to move, as you can disassemble it into pieces. Its a lot easier to move a side at a time that weighs 100 lbs than a safe that weighs 600 lbs.

Now you've got me interested in this modular safe, being an apartment-dweller, currently.

John,

Seeing as you already know you're going to be dealing with a couple of moves, the safe that Bubba is speaking of would seem like the best one for you under your circumstances.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
AMSEC for safes.

John,

Seeing as you already know you're going to be dealing with a couple of moves, the safe that Bubba is speaking of would seem like the best one for you under your circumstances.

Except buy one by zanotti armor so you're buying domestic. Iirc snapsafe is chinesium.

Originally Posted By: bioburner
Instructor of mine also was a electrician. Installed a large speaker that was so loud that perps would try and find the exit asap. Found a couple writhing in pain on the floor when the cops showed.

Speaker so loud that burglars are incapacitated in pain and "writhing" on the floor. Sure, we believe it.

I have a liberty and like it. It's the colonial series, rated for 23 guns. At almost 600 pounds it is NOT fun to move. I moved it in myself initially, the next move was for work, so movers moved it with the rest of my household items.

Buy bigger than you think you need, as has been mentioned, is great advice. You'll buy more guns over the years, plus you may choose to keep other items in the safe like jewelry, watches, backup hard drives, passports, etc.

A safe is just part of the equation . Quality deadbolts , alarm system , motion detector floodlights , and the list goes on ... Finish it off with adequate insurance coverage .

25gMDT83.jpg

Waiting to take delivery of this beauty next week. Pretty excited.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
66fvxW3.jpg

GOT IT!

Awesome! Looks great!

I'm still waiting for the Dakota Interloc XP (modular safe) to get back in stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back