Lets talk about new vehicles

20220312_141151 (1).jpg

Digital looks pretty good, thanks for posting. Still think my 50 plus year eyes would rather have analog but white on black works well for me. I've definitely seen worse. Jetta went digital for 22. Thinking maybe 21 was first year for Arteon????

I've heard many wonder about the digital displays (understandably) but we've had some digital guages for quite a while and I don't tend to hear of them failing.

Digital looks pretty good, thanks for posting. Still think my 50 plus year eyes would rather have analog but white on black works well for me. I've definitely seen worse. Jetta went digital for 22. Thinking maybe 21 was first year for Arteon????

I've heard many wonder about the digital displays (understandably) but we've had some digital guages for quite a while and I don't tend to hear of them failing.
Well KC I am older than you and don't wear glasses but probably should and I think they are great.
Of course my 2020 Ford had them too. All what you get used too eh?

I just wear cheaters/readers at plus 1.5 not too bad. Don't wear anything driving but gauges are on the outer fringe of my blurry range.

I have prostituted myself to the lowest bidder and did unspeakable things to obtain the ultimate
long range road cruiser. Obviously I have failed and need your help.

What I require............

* Great seats for a bad back and I do not like tiny bottoms in my rides but- never mind... ; )
* Roomy- I hate when they put you in a cubicle like a Ford Taurus
* No Fords- I hate their seats
* No pickups- AWD or FWD fine- CVT is okay
* Very quiet with minimal road noise
* If hwy mpg is below 25 mpg- no thanks- The more the better- MORE!
* Hybrid ok
* Don't need a prestige brand- been there before
* Reliable- Sometimes I will put 3-4K miles on in one week
* Car-SUV-CUV okay
* Budget.. $25K-$55K NEW!

Thanks!
Nissan Altima.
40 mpg on the hiway
best seats in its priceclass ( and beyond)
unbreakable engines
significantly improved transmissions over a few years back
Roomy
Controlled handling yet supple ride (if u avoid the big wheeled SR trim)
Reasonably priced even in todays market.

I had Camry, Accord, Charger and Altima as rentals. in the desert West.
No comparison as long range cruisers, Altima wins hands down, especially the seats.
The Charger was the most fun with its big engine though, a lot more smiles per mile, but als a LOT less mpg.

Last edited:
Thursday I was at Carmax dumping my last car deal. Don't make me fess up as it has became an addiction.
Why Carmax? For some reason they are paying more than anybody else on CUV's like $6000 more.

Carvana is bad on them but the bomb on gas sippers...

I hate I had to drive there and get an uber home. I walk in and I have to scan a code and punch in my quote number. Then sit and wait. The place was huge. A bunch of staff just sitting around.

As I sat down I looked to the side and saw a lady that was the exact image of my long term now removed lady friend but 10 years fresher...lol...true...

She was more like my ex than even I could imagine. Hawt as @aquariuscsm says but then started moaning and groaning at the staff because they were a few minutes late. She went on and on as the room became disgusted at her nonsense. After the staff had appeased her she started sighing and I hate sighing...

When she finally left she was dressed as my ex and had that same strut.... The whole affair soiled my Carmax experience...lol

@AutoMechanic

Why the love for the Subaru Outback's?
You posted that this week.
Because I’m a Subaru tech I guess and see they are actually decent vehicles despite my previous bias. Outback would be my second Subaru choice with the Crosstrek being first. I like them mainly because they are easy to work on and cool colors too. And despite what anyone says they are king of the snow. I’ve never seen a Subaru be defeated by snow but I have other vehicles be defeated by it. Like my work is right off a big mountain that most vehicles can’t pull in the snow I had to road test drive a Subaru and it climbed it in the snow no problems. And they are the most reliable affordable vehicles on the market as Toyota has lost their mind on prices. Only one to avoid in the Subaru line would be the Ascent for electrical problems and undersized brakes and a few other notable problems. Also if you get one with Falken tires make the dealer switch them to something else before it rolls off the lot. You will thank me for that later. 🙂.

Because I’m a Subaru tech I guess and see they are actually decent vehicles despite my previous bias. Outback would be my second Subaru choice with the Crosstrek being first. I like them mainly because they are easy to work on and cool colors too. And despite what anyone says they are king of the snow. I’ve never seen a Subaru be defeated by snow but I have other vehicles be defeated by it. Like my work is right off a big mountain that most vehicles can’t pull in the snow I had to road test drive a Subaru and it climbed it in the snow no problems. And they are the most reliable affordable vehicles on the market as Toyota has lost their mind on prices. Only one to avoid in the Subaru line would be the Ascent for electrical problems and undersized brakes and a few other notable problems. Also if you get one with Falken tires make the dealer switch them to something else before it rolls off the lot. You will thank me for that later. 🙂.
Glad to see you don't stick to a bias because many do to retain being right.

Glad you think that way.
I was surprised by the agricultural sounding rough engines though.
I have Subaru experience from 81 onward but things constantly change these days.
The Crosstrek is best suited to your age group...agreed

Glad to see you don't stick to a bias because many do to retain being right.

Glad you think that way.
I was surprised by the agricultural sounding rough engines though.
I have Subaru experience from 81 onward but things constantly change these days.
The Crosstrek is best suited to your age group...agreed
I love the pretty light blue Crosstrek or red even. I want one but I also want a Tahoe or Suburban or something too or both but I don’t have the cash for that despite what you may think LOL. I’d rather have the Tahoe or similar because it would be old and have that classic old cloth seat or old leather seat smell lol.

Just please really do avoid the Ascent you won’t get any time driving it because it will be in the shop getting the undersized warped brake rotors swapped for more undersized rotors that will warp again. The reason for this is because Subaru based it on the Forester and used the exact same platform and chassis and the Ascent being bigger is too much for that platform. Also they have a bad problem because of the same reason of the strut boots falling down leading to squeaking in the front end. It also has many electrical problems too. Too many too list here.

I love the pretty light blue Crosstrek or red even. I want one but I also want a Tahoe or Suburban or something too or both but I don’t have the cash for that despite what you may think LOL. I’d rather have the Tahoe or similar because it would be old and have that classic old cloth seat or old leather seat smell lol.

Just please really do avoid the Ascent you won’t get any time driving it because it will be in the shop getting the undersized warped brake rotors swapped for more undersized rotors that will warp again. The reason for this is because Subaru based it on the Forester and used the exact same platform and chassis and the Ascent being bigger is too much for that platform. Also they have a bad problem because of the same reason of the strut boots falling down leading to squeaking in the front end. It also has many electrical problems too. Too many too list here.
And cvt problems from the start.

And cvt problems from the start.
Yes sir. That is correct. I hate even thinking about those darn CVT that always make me swear lol. I will say a Subaru is one of the easiest non sports cars to get a speeding ticket in too because they will fly. And yes the engine sounds like it’s going to go out of the car when you start it up especially lol. I could nerd out all day about Subaru lol. If you do go with a Subaru Outback I do like the 3.6R engines in those and the Legacy. They fly also and I trust them more because they spec thicker oil.

Back