Best new vehicle for woman 80+ 15-20k price range?

Originally Posted By: Rand
Well after a few days of test driving..

Looks like the answer to my question is Ford Escape.

By visibility I meant(among other things):
1.No massive blind spots
2.able to tell where your car "corners" are when parking.

Nice pick … tell her no hot rodding until after break in.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Nice Rand, which engine?

She just finalized the deal. She went out and did it herself.

Negotiated at her favorite dealer but they wouldnt budge..

Went to the closer dealer (half mile from her house)

and they beat the other dealer... not too bad

over 5000 off msrp.. yep she expanded the budget.

2018 red with 1.5T AWD msrp was 29xxx was pretty much the SE with the 8" screen sync upgrade and one other thing(that I cant remember)

Looks great. And very conventional.
Sits upright, can see out of it good, and normal key(no pushbutton start)
regular 6 speed auto.

Very sharp car. Quite the upgrade from a 2003 taurus SE with 3.0 vulcan.

When we got her rental the ONLY car they had after trying 3 enterprises over 2 days was a
fusion hybrid.. everything she didnt want in a car.

Couldnt tell where the back was,
hybrid, pushbutton start(doesnt even start engine just light that goes on)
Knob to change gears.
Was a super nice car.. just not for her.
Push button start allows a women to keep the key in her purse and not dig for it-just to be clear. Also-for a man, in places where it's cold-one can't put one's hands in their pockets to retrieve the key without taking the gloves off-starting the vehicle and then putting them back on.

Can't understand the obsession on here with holding on to key-especially when the other method is so much more convenient. I own both types of vehicles BTW.

It sounds like she was able to take advantage of a slow selling vehicle to get a discount.

We have a 2019 Impreza and it has been a great car. Problem free and great in all weather conditions Nebraska has thrown at us so far. To be honest, the build quality of it seems better than my F-150 which costed nearly twice as much.

Any of the subcompact hatchback cars that are still being mfg'd or might still be on dealer lots such as the Honda FIT, Nissan Versa NOTE, Rio/ACCENT, Yaris(a.k.a. Mazda2), Chevy Sonic/Spark.

They're easy to ingress/egress, easy to drive as they are mostly an around town type of vehicle. They're easy to park, easy to turn, easy to see out of and easy to judge against other vehicles in parking lots.

OR...the micro(sub-subcompact) CUVs. Hyundai VENUE, NISSAN KICKS. Not the Mazda CX3 as they're too cramped and difficult to see out of/blind spots/around view. Although its particular size could be idea and easy to drive.

These type of vehicles are simpler and more intuitive for those loved ones with some years behind them and just what the elderly are more used to without having to learn a bunch of new features of newer vehicles. Simple(er) infotainment systems w/ LARGE MARKINGS, LARGE BUTTONS/LEVERS for easy manipulation, typical gearshift selector, radio controls, old school parking brake and often with a standard "KEY" for the ignition, etc. Just what the elderly are looking for.

Last edited:
My mom was getting close to 80 when she decided she wanted a new car.... A Mini. I was able to talk her out of it. She'd already reached the point where she'd come home with new unexplained scratches and dents on her car, and she'd sometimes forget to put the car in Park after putting it in the garage (thus explaining the strange new dent on the garage door!). She has a 2002 Impala.... Big and comfortable and its silver color hides scratches well. No new car payments!

Can't understand the obsession on here with holding on to key-especially when the other method is so much more convenient. I own both types of vehicles BTW.
I have key and proximity pushbutton vehicles.
I hate the proximity pushbutton. Fobs are huge, compared to just entry fobs. Expensive. Already lost a Mazda fob. They are $200+ and have to be programed by the dealer or a shop with software.

Too easy to get stranded , almost happened to me, has happened to people I know.

I'll take keys any day.

Last edited:
Would you be equally upset , if the title was "Best new vehicle for an 80+ year old man?
Yes, what does it matter if it's a he or a she or an it? The age MIGHT be a factor due to mobility issues/ride height, but I never understood people's absolute need to gender identify or sexually identify with a vehicle.

I have key and proximity pushbutton vehicles.
I hate the proximity pushbutton. Fobs are huge, compared to just entry fobs. Expensive. Already lost a Mazda fob. They are $200+ and have to be programed by the dealer or a shop with software.

Too easy to get stranded , almost happened to me, has happened to people I know.

I'll take keys any day.
I don't know anybody who has been stranded and I went on Youtube to find out how to take apart the FOB to replace battery. Went down to Walgreens and bought battery. But -yea much more expensive if you can't keep track of things like keys. My vehicle told me that my key fob battery was getting low.

BTW-keys are going bye-bye. Enjoy them while you can.

I don't know anybody who has been stranded and I went on Youtube to find out how to take apart the FOB to replace battery. Went down to Walgreens and bought battery. But -yea much more expensive if you can't keep track of things like keys. My vehicle told me that my key fob battery was getting low.

BTW-keys are going bye-bye. Enjoy them while you can.
You can get stranded. I have 3-4 cars. Can't keep 4 proximity fobs, the size that they are, on one key ring. I can easily keep keys for 3-4 cars on a keyring and the size is manageable.

I know keys are going away, I don't have to like it.

Back