LED Headlights are on the horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

US Military tests LED headlights in Alaska.

Interesting.

I guess it was inevitable that some makers would start testing LED headlights, as we have had "off the shelf" LEDs bright enough to make LED based headlight "bulbs" for a little while now. Granted, given todays tech (the LEDs of tomorrow might be a different matter), you have to use multiple LEDs to get a bright enough light (even if you choose some of the brightest LEDs on the market), but it should be realistically possible to put together a multi-LED module that replaces say an H4 headlight bulb (and is just as bright, if not brighter).

The big "gotcha" is cost. Given the cost of the newer/brighter LEDs on the market, and the number of LEDs you would currently need (per headlight) to make a bright enough "bulb", a pair of such "bulbs" could easily cost more than a HID conversion (while being closer to the light output of normal headlights).

But I suppose that would be why the military is likely to be the first customer of these "headlights" (since they tend to not think much of the cost). And such "headlights" would likely last longer than the life of most vehicles (i.e. If you don't abuse them, LEDs can often last years of 24/7 use, and most vehicles don't run 24/7). And LED headlights would likely use even less power than even HID headlights, much less the power requirements for halogen bulbs. So even if they cost a little up front, LED lights would likely last a very long time, be fairly "shock resistant", and relatively "low power". A win-win-win situation (in all places except initial cost). So I can see why the military would be interested.

OTOH LEDs are getting brighter, and coming down in price, all the time. So at some point in the future (probably at least a year from now, likely longer) LED headlights might start to become "cost effective" for us "normal folks"...

Quote:

Seems interesting and it looks like these could potentially replace HID as the best headlight technology.

Eventually yes. However, the costs of extra-bright "white" LEDs has to come down a fair amount and/or the brightness of the LEDs needs to go up a lot more (so that you need fewer extra-bright LEDs for a headlight) before that is likely to happen.

But I guess this "proof of concept" exercise (with the military) does go to show that companies are already thinking in these terms. So at this point, it is more a "matter of time" as to when this will happen (and when the prices will be reasonable), vs being a question as to if manufacturers will think to develop LED headlights...

I think we'll be seeing more of this. Lumileds Luxeons revolutinized the LED biz a few years ago but now there's a new company (Cree Products) that is making similar high flux LEDS with twice the light at the same power.

Heat is the biggest problem with these units. The bulbs plus the motor's heat has been hard to overcome for a production vehicle.

Richard.

Neat idea (patent pending, pending):

Pulse the LED headlights in a spread-spectrum mode, and wear special goggles that only let you see when your own headlights are pulsed ON. This will mostly eliminate glare from oncoming vehicles that also have LED headlights, since your goggles will be dark most of the time when the oncoming car's headlights are pulsed on.

Quote:

Pulse the LED headlights in a spread-spectrum mode, and wear special goggles that only let you see when your own headlights are pulsed ON. This will mostly eliminate glare from oncoming vehicles that also have LED headlights, since your goggles will be dark most of the time when the oncoming car's headlights are pulsed on.

Neat idea. Why not just wear photo-multipliers and do away with the lights alltogether?

Way to think out of the box though.

hey, neat idea.

or... each car's headlights puts out a different set of spectral lines, and you wear glasses that only allow those lines through. I'd want my car to be visible to pedestrians, and people without night vision goggles, though.

Quote:

Just like the old school 3D movies....
stooges.gif

You could go in "stealth" mode.

I think an engineer's biggest problem is how do you get the LED's to burn out in a given amount of time ??!!
Engineers could design an incandescent to last 1000hrs and burn out in the 1100th hour .. but to dope a barrier region or junction to last 1000hrs may take some experimenting
stirthepot.gif

Heat from the LED bulbs. Someone explain this to me. These use so little power heat is virtually nonexistent ?

Of course more, powerful LEDs do get hot. That's why a 3 Watt Luxeon emitter, which draws up to about 1000 mA, has an aluminum backing that must be mounted on a heat sink to prevent overheating.

LED headlights will also be featured on the new Lexus LS600H (Hybrid) vehicle. An interesting take on hybrid vehicles. Instead of using hybrid tech to enable increased mpg from a car, Lexus chose to implement it to increase HP without a significant decrease in mpg. 400HP and still 20+ mpg.

LED tech is advancing at a very rapid rate. Faster than just about any other illumination tech. As far as low power consumption though, the high output LEDs aren't that conservative. I've been interested in LED flashlights for sometime now and have a few examples from Surefire and Princeton Tec. They keep getting brighter and getting more light duration from the same battery all the time. So far, I might be inclined to say the pinnacle in LED flashlights is currently made my HDS. They have some incredibly small flashlights (about 3.2" long and 1" diam.) that can alternatively put out light equivalent to a multicell Maglight or maintain light output of reasonable brightness for 12-16 hours. At lower settings, they can even provide light for several hundred hours.

Here's an example of an HDS flashlight :
http://members.aol.com/qn9513/myhomepage/flashlightu85.html

HDS no longer makes the U85 (couldn't keep up with initial demand when it was released), but they will eventually (potentially this year) be releasing the U120 which will be brighter and last longer than the U85.

I'll definitely be interested to see where LED technology is 5-10 years from now.

Max

Quote:

-snip-

I think an engineer's biggest problem is how do you get the LED's to burn out in a given amount of time ??!!
Engineers could design an incandescent to last 1000hrs and burn out in the 1100th hour .. but to dope a barrier region or junction to last 1000hrs may take some experimenting
stirthepot.gif

Yep, it sure does seem that the designers just -have- to engineer failure in products such as lamps. For example, the older mercury-vapor luminaire bulbs used for street lighting sometimes lasted 20 years and longer! Not any more they don't.

Planned obsolescence/MTBF for profit sucks.

Quote:

Planned obsolescence/MTBF for profit sucks.

March 8, 2007... Koito Manufacturing Co. of Tokyo, Japan, has commercialized an automobile headlight that uses LEDs as the only light source, according to an article on Nikkei Net. The article indicated that the company’s new headlight is expected to be installed in Toyoda Motor Corp.’s Lexus LS600h luxury sedan. Initially, each headlight will use multiple LEDs. Koito expects that its future headlight models will be lit with only one LED. Koito Manufacturing Co. claims to be the first to commercialize LED headlights. However, Philips Lumileds has also announced that its headlights will be in a soon-to-be introduced automobile, the 2008 Audi R8.

http://compoundsemi.com/documents/view/generic.php?id=8031

If you look on ebay, the cheap chinese parts makers already have LED headlights for a plug and play retrofit to american headlight applictions. Rhey were 20 dollars a pair if i recall correctly.

superbright white led's are really cheap. you can buy 200 of them on ebay right from china for about $20 and shipping is free.
in contrast, go to radio shack and they are about $9 each.

Quote:

You could go in "stealth" mode.

stirthepot.gif

uuuuugh! nowadays incandescents seem to last 100 hours!

I noticed this on Valeo's web page in case anyone is interested. Looks like a Volvo application?

Photo: Valeo

2-07-medium.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back