Leather Masters Protection Cream review....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased this product for our new LaZBoy leather couch, but decided to give it a whirl on the leather seats in my Accord. It isn't your traditional oily leather conditioner as it is water based, which was a huge plus for me since I don't like how your run of the mill conditioner makes the leather feel.

I started by cleaning the seats and steering wheel leather with my go to solution of 1 part Woolite delicates to 8-10 parts water. I spray the solution onto a soft brush then apply in a circular motion to agitate the surface of the leather and get the solution nice and sudsy. Once I am finished with that step I thoroughly wipe the solution away with a microfiber cloth. The result is a clean factory matte finish.

Once clean, I applied the Leather Masters directly to a microfiber cloth and apply to the leather. It has a pleasant smell and goes on with a bit of a sheen so you can see where it was applied, but quickly dries to a matte finish.

The results speak for themselves. These are the seats in my Accord, the driver seat of course gets the most use and I primarily drive short trips so the seat sees more "in and out" use per mile than most cars. The current mileage is 55,000.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, once uploaded these don't look nearly as good as they do on my phone!

IMG_3188.JPG

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3189.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3215.JPG

IMG_3217.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

Most leather seats are vinyl coated.
Not sure how much good using "leather" protection or conditioner does for them.

Either way, the results look good.

Many European cars come with unfinished leather. Without regular conditioning, the leather will dry out and crack. Even with coated leather, the finish is not 100% impermeable. It's possible to restore suppleness in dried-out coated leather with conditioners. Not all products are equal.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I purchased this product for our new LaZBoy leather couch, but decided to give it a whirl on the leather seats in my Accord. It isn't your traditional oily leather conditioner as it is water based, which was a huge plus for me since I don't like how your run of the mill conditioner makes the leather feel.

I started by cleaning the seats and steering wheel leather with my go to solution of 1 part Woolite delicates to 8-10 parts water. I spray the solution onto a soft brush then apply in a circular motion to agitate the surface of the leather and get the solution nice and sudsy. Once I am finished with that step I thoroughly wipe the solution away with a microfiber cloth. The result is a clean factory matte finish.

Once clean, I applied the Leather Masters directly to a microfiber cloth and apply to the leather. It has a pleasant smell and goes on with a bit of a sheen so you can see where it was applied, but quickly dries to a matte finish.

The results speak for themselves. These are the seats in my Accord, the driver seat of course gets the most use and I primarily drive short trips so the seat sees more "in and out" use per mile than most cars. The current mileage is 55,000.

Sorry for the poor picture quality, once uploaded these don't look nearly as good as they do on my phone!

I agree, they look great, Greg, but what was the noticeable difference after you applied the Leather Masters after the cleaning with Woolite and water?
Did the LM clean them up even better or did it just make them pop even more?

Originally Posted by KJSmith
Most leather seats are vinyl coated.
Not sure how much good using "leather" protection or conditioner does for them.

Either way, the results look good.

Yes, they are coated just like 95% of most automotive leather surfaces. I do believe however, that products do penetrate to a point. If you place a drop of water on the surface and allow it to stay there for a minute, after wiping it off it does leave a discolored mark, showing the water did penetrate. At least slightly.

This product claims to "protect" the leather, vs "conditioning it". They claim it helps reduce water, oil, and alcohol based stains. So if anything it should be offering some protection.

Originally Posted by irv

I agree, they look great, Greg, but what was the noticeable difference after you applied the Leather Masters after the cleaning with Woolite and water?

After application it leaves a nice OEM finish (so not much difference there), but it also leaves a slicker (not greasy) finish behind so it is easier to get in and out. Without the LM the finish is more grippy. The leather also feels more supple. Might just be placebo effect, not sure.

Originally Posted by irv

After application it leaves a nice OEM finish (so not much difference there), but it also leaves a slicker (not greasy) finish behind so it is easier to get in and out. Without the LM the finish is more grippy. The leather also feels more supple. Might just be placebo effect, not sure.

Yeah, it could be? Just make sure the LM, since it is less grippy, is not attracting dust/dirt. The dust will accumulate and of course make the surface wear out quicker the more you get in and out of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by irv

Yeah, it could be? Just make sure the LM, since it is less grippy, is not attracting dust/dirt. The dust will accumulate and of course make the surface wear out quicker the more you get in and out of the vehicle.

Right. It doesn't make the surface oily or slick (in a greasy sort of way). It just adds a layer of protection almost like a film I suppose, that just so happens to make it easier to get in and out of. I stay on top of keeping our vehicles clean so dirt / dust never really have a chance to accumulate. Good advice though!

[/quote]

Right. It doesn't make the surface oily or slick (in a greasy sort of way). It just adds a layer of protection almost like a film I suppose, that just so happens to make it easier to get in and out of. I stay on top of keeping our vehicles clean so dirt / dust never really have a chance to accumulate. Good advice though! [/quote]

Good to hear.

This LM product now has me curious.

Originally Posted by JamesBond
What kind of brush do you use?

A plain old paint brush. Just an inexpensive 1.5 or 2" brush with SOFT bristles. This size works great for getting into the crevices and also creates a nice lather. Soft bristles is key. One day I may purchase a detailing brush, but this has worked well so far.

The leather is still porous on the microscopic level,that's why leather breathes and vinyl doesn't. Use a good dedicated leather care product for your leather interior,and it also preserves the stitching as well. That's why you see 2 year old cars with leather that's shot. They never preserved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back