Leased VW - FALKEN Tires Worn down to 5/32" in 11K Miles

The car has only 11k miles on it. It is one year and seven months on the road. I rotated the tires at the first 1/2 interval oil change. ( yes I changed "early" ) around 6K miles. The tires are worn evenly side to side and front and rear. They only started at 9/32 so at just below 5/32 they are still serviceable. The lease turn in "rules" declare the tires "worn out" at below 4/32 which is still serviceable.

Ah, I see the problem: City driving.

Most tire wear occurs in cornering - and the more corners you take, the faster the wear. By contrast driving straight ahead is practically free.

The clue? 19 months and 11K miles = pretty low.

I would have agreed with that statement from what had seen on our previous Forester(s), but the 225/55 17 on the crosstrek were very good and responsive tires. And O.K. in the Winter. Yes I was pleasantly surprised.
Unlike where I am now with this Jetta.
In my vocabulary there is no all-season tire satisfactory in winter. So, I think that is difference in perspective. Though, although for me Yokohama is second or third tier manufacturer, it is definitely step up from Falken.

I measured the tread depth on my son’s 2020 Impreza yesterday that he bought new in January and the tires are at 8/32” all around, and the car has driven over 14,000 miles. Tread depth for new Continentals is 9/32”. We live in New Hampshire like you do. He does almost entirely highway driving.

Folks are comparing higher end vehicles to this Jetta w/r to the OE tire choice - the base S trim manual Jetta is a v. inexpensive new car relatively speaking - I would think a reasonable negotiator could walk OTD for 18K or less. You can't expect much here w/r to wear components like tires. 2 years would be reasonable on a car like this to me for the stockers. I'm happy with any OE tire that lasts 3 and that would be on a car that is 3x that price.

Folks are comparing higher end vehicles to this Jetta w/r to the OE tire choice - the base S trim manual Jetta is a v. inexpensive new car relatively speaking - I would think a reasonable negotiator could walk OTD for 18K or less. You can't expect much here w/r to wear components like tires. 2 years would be reasonable on a car like this to me for the stockers. I'm happy with any OE tire that lasts 3 and that would be on a car that is 3x that price.
VW always had top tier tires until maybe 5 years ago when they started to trip offers to be more competitive with Toyota, Honda etc. It is one of the shifts VW made toward being more appliance on the US market.

VW always had top tier tires until maybe 5 years ago when they started to trip offers to be more competitive with Toyota, Honda etc. It is one of the shifts VW made toward being more appliance on the US market.
My 2018 Atlas came with Contis that are holding up well, 25K and at 5-6/32" so to me, that's reasonable and I should get 10K more before I want new ones. Sportwagen came with crappy Hankooks that were gone the day I picked it up along with the stock wheels. I don't think they would have lasted long.

My 2018 Atlas came with Contis that are holding up well, 25K and at 5-6/32" so to me, that's reasonable and I should get 10K more before I want new ones. Sportwagen came with crappy Hankooks that were gone the day I picked it up along with the stock wheels. I don't think they would have lasted long.
I think Atlas S comes with one of these POS tires like Falken.

The most dangerous tire I ever had was Kumho, another one was winter Hankook.
I actually really liked Kumhos (Solus something or other) on my old MK4 Jetta, had several sets of them - they were great for my basic highway commuter need at that time and were about $350 delivered/installed from Tire Rack. Very quiet is what I remember and reasonable handling for a grand tourer.

You can get a full set of Sentury UHP Touring tires from Discount Tire (if you have one near you) installed for ~$300. Yeah Chinese tires but we slapped a set on a long in the tooth '03 BMW 325i to get us another 20k miles before car was junked and they really were not too terrible for the $350 or so we paid for a full set. I don't think VW is going to pay close attention or really know about the brands - they sold my departed '12 Jetta TDI as a CPO with some cheap bottom of the barrel Barum tires I had put in it.

OEM tires are pretty much always a compromise because they are specially made for the manufacturer and are one off vs the replacements. My MKIV Golf came with at that time incredibly expensive Michelin Energy MXV4+ and I was lucky to get 30k out of them, MKV Jetta 2.5 came with Continental ContiProContact that were again good for ~35k miles. I replaced same with same on both and got much better mileage out of the replacements.

They sure fell hard. My Tiguan has GITI tires from the factory!

The most dangerous tire I ever had was Kumho, another one was winter Hankook.

As with anything, blanket statements don't always apply...

I have Kumho's on my sportscar, but they were also made specifically for the car. Fantastic dry grip, which is what they were designed for.

As with anything, blanket statements don't always apply...

I have Kumho's on my sportscar, but they were also made specifically for the car. Fantastic dry grip, which is what they were designed for.
Sort of. Manufacturer that makes borderline dangerous tire in wet, is not that good in other things too. Tires that are good in one discipline are really not that good tires.

Sort of. Manufacturer that makes borderline dangerous tire in wet, is not that good in other things too. Tires that are good in one discipline are really not that good tires.

Wrong. They were made specifically for dry grip only. They are what would be considered track tires. They are very good at what they were made for.

You can buy tires which are more for general use, but they won't excel in any area.

Back