Leased VW - FALKEN Tires Worn down to 5/32" in 11K Miles

Wrong. They were made specifically for dry grip only. They are what would be considered track tires. They are very good at what they were made for.

You can buy tires which are more for general use, but they won't excel in any area.
I seriously do not understand where you going with this? What is the point you are trying to make? Kumho track rated tire is good in dry? OK, you officially reinvented the wheel.

I seriously do not understand where you going with this? What is the point you are trying to make? Kumho track rated tire is good in dry? OK, you officially reinvented the wheel.

You said this:

edyvw said:
Tires that are good in one discipline are really not that good tires.

Where I'm going, is stating that your comment above is wrong.

I measured the tread depth on my son’s 2020 Impreza yesterday that he bought new in January and the tires are at 8/32” all around, and the car has driven over 14,000 miles. Tread depth for new Continentals is 9/32”. We live in New Hampshire like you do. He does almost entirely highway driving.

Sort of related to VW, our 2018 VW Tiguan SE had these exact tires on it(Conti ProContact TX?). They lasted about 56k for us. VW is all over the map on tire providers and sizes on their vehicles.

It is not wrong. We are talking passenger tires, where tire has to do several thing good.
It is OK if you do not understand difference between track and passenger tire.

What you don't seem to understand is that all tires are a compromise. There are also specialized tires. My sportscar is equipped with bespoke specialized tires from the factory. These specific tires are made by Kumho, and they are very good for the job they were designed for.

Sure, I can put on more general use tires, but they won't have the same incredible dry grip.

The point of my post was that Kumho CAN make a great tire.

What you don't seem to understand is that all tires are a compromise. There are also specialized tires. My sportscar is equipped with bespoke specialized tires from the factory. These specific tires are made by Kumho, and they are very good for the job they were designed for.

Sure, I can put on more general use tires, but they won't have the same incredible dry grip.

The point of my post was that Kumho CAN make a great tire.
And what that tire is? What car is? If you are talking max performance tire, I am not sure Kumho is first brand to go to, it is Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc. I yet to see Porsche, BMW M models, etc. on Kumho tires.
Now when it comes to compromise, you cannot make all season tire (I am talking Ecsta LX, which I got on CPO vehicle new) borderline dangerous in wet, and say: well it is compromise. Yes, tires for general purpose are compromise, but top tier brands do everything good, maybe some things exceptionally good, but not dangerous.
Anyway I threw them after 13K as three of them could not be balanced anymore.

And what that tire is? What car is? If you are talking max performance tire, I am not sure Kumho is first brand to go to, it is Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone etc. I yet to see Porsche, BMW M models, etc. on Kumho tires.
Now when it comes to compromise, you cannot make all season tire (I am talking Ecsta LX, which I got on CPO vehicle new) borderline dangerous in wet, and say: well it is compromise. Yes, tires for general purpose are compromise, but top tier brands do everything good, maybe some things exceptionally good, but not dangerous.
Anyway I threw them after 13K as three of them could not be balanced anymore.

It sounds like you need to do some research. You're talking about run-of-the-mill, all-season tires. I'm talking performance tires.

We also have two BMW M vehicles (three if you include the M Motorcycle). The two four-wheeled M vehicles have Michelin's latest performance tire. The Pilot Sport 4S. They are good, and no doubt have better wet traction, but they don't have the dry grip of the Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR.

I had some sport oriented FALKENS on a Suzuki Aerio wagon with a 5M in the mid 2000's A hot hatch in my book at the time. When new tire time came along, I found some FALKEN Ziex for cheap in discount tire direct. they were labeled as 50 series, but actually measure at 35 aspect !
Between the final drive ratio improvement of smaller diameter tires and these grippy, easy-to-read tires; this change made this car 100% more enjoyable to drive and toss around - And they rode well too.
Only downside was they did wear fast and and they would blow out in small potholes.
SO I'm not a Falken hater - except just these A/S tires. Doesn't help the car cant be aligned satisfactorily either.

Last edited:
Every car you touch falls to pieces according to your posts. Bad luck or operator error?
No. This is the quality of product out there. I have high exposure as I have owned over 70 cars - most new.
Most issues with Ford. Wife's had all sorts of issues too. Note here need for new halshafts in the crosstrek at 58K miles.

I also report on issue. Most people drive around completely oblivious to their car's woes. I know this by going out to lunch with co-workers. Misfiring, vibrations, odd wear on tires, exhaust leaks, suspension noises.

Being a mechanic and a mechanical engineer and designer and process engineer, I notice things.

Yes cheap tires on cheap cars don't last long - but under 15K miles is BEYOND THE PALE.

as a fellow vw owner of polish/scottish heritage from new england i am with arcographite.

seriously speaking, his viewpoint is most certainly valid, tires shouldnt be reasonably expected to wear out so fast. my cpo passat came to me with oem continentals that lasted to 42k miles of mostly highway driving. now im at 88k miles on replacement kellys that will need replacing before the winter. based on recent news reports i wont look at goodyear, dunlop, kelly or douglas replacements. i will probably keep the passat for another 20k miles so cooper or general tires seem to be a decent compromise of price/performance. a discount tire recently opened nearby so will look at dt’s value offerings too.

It sounds like you need to do some research. You're talking about run-of-the-mill, all-season tires. I'm talking performance tires.

We also have two BMW M vehicles (three if you include the M Motorcycle). The two four-wheeled M vehicles have Michelin's latest performance tire. The Pilot Sport 4S. They are good, and no doubt have better wet traction, but they don't have the dry grip of the Kumho Ecsta V720 ACR.
Sure, it is track tire, not road tire. Last time I checked other are making track tire too.
There are numerous manufacturers who have good track tires designed for dry conditions. Hakook has good ones, yet I would not touch their winter tire with 10 foot pole (nor Kumho). Yokohama has, etc.
Yet, they cannot deliver road tire that performs in all disciplines equally good.

Sure, it is track tire, not road tire. Last time I checked other are making track tire too.
There are numerous manufacturers who have good track tires designed for dry conditions. Hakook has good ones, yet I would not touch their winter tire with 10 foot pole (nor Kumho). Yokohama has, etc.
Yet, they cannot deliver road tire that performs in all disciplines equally good.

Actually, it IS a DOT legal tire. Which means it can be used on the public roads...

Yeah, and? What else does good? Hydroplaning? Wet handling? How is at 50-60 degrees temperature?
I bet it comes on numerous minivans and SUV's.
Goalpost shifting? First you said Kumho is bad ("the most dangerous tire I've ever had"), implying all of their tires are bad. 02SE pointed out that they make good track tires. You then tried to make it about multipurpose tires.

If Kumho can make good track tires then not all their tires are dangerous. yes/no?

Goalpost shifting? First you said Kumho is bad ("the most dangerous tire I've ever had"), implying all of their tires are bad. 02SE pointed out that they make good track tires. You then tried to make it about multipurpose tires.

If Kumho can make good track tires then not all their tires are dangerous. yes/no?
Goalpost was moved from passenger tires to track tire, where there is very narrow required performance envelope. There are numerous good tires that do only one thing good.
And no, I would not buy Kumho track tire. Maybe they are not all bad, but mediocre at best would qualify? I did buy though their donut tire for my Toyota. That is about as far as I will go with Kumho.

You try and educate people that when they make blanket statements, they are often wrong, but some don't want to listen.

Nobody said he couldn't complain about the allegedly bad tires-but threatening to report VW to the State Attorney General was foolhardy....to say the least.

Don't worry...everyone except you understands what he was saying. It's OK.

Back