LC20 as CLP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I was wondering if anybody has considered the use of LC20 as a gun oil additive, or its use straight up to clean, lubricate, and protect firearms. Based on the manufacturer's description it would seem to have use in removal of carbon fouling from smokeless power and it's touted anti-rust/anti-corrosion properties would be beneficial.

If any anybody here can provide some rational either yea or nea for use in firearms, please pipe in. Like a lot of people I am one of those constantly in search for the magic product that will provide protection to my prized collection. Thanks

I have experimented with LC-20 mixed 1 to 1 with Ballistol & also LC-20 mixed 1 to 1 with Militec. Both seem to work good as lubricants. The LC-20/Ballistol mix even lifted fouling from what I thought was a perfectly clean bore. I had used Hoppes #9 and then Sweet's 7.62 until there was nothing on the patches. A patch with LC-20/Ballistol came out dirty. 3 more times and then the patches were clean. So this may be a CLP.

Thank you for the reply. I have had mixed results using most of the commercial nitro-powder solvents such as Hoppe's or Shooter's Choice and some homebrew ones such as Ed's red. Carbon fouling when shooting lead bullets seems to be the worst. I'll give your suggestion a try and thanks again.

I use LC20 mixed 1:1 with walMart dex/merc atf as an all purpose penetrating oil and lubricant. It lifts lots of [censored] off of gun parts and, actually, the only part it doesn't easily clean is the face of my AK/SKS gas pistons. The rest of the workings stay shiny and free moving - even in winter. Very low odor too as you only need tiny amounts.

I've a carbon steel hunting knife that I use this mixture on as a protectant. After field dressing a deer last winter, later at home, the blood washed right off of the knife, cause the lc20/atf was still on the metal. The stuff didn't wear off and kept the blood from touching the steel! Granted it was quite cold out, but I found that very impressive.

Put a drop of it on your AK gas piston and let it sit for an hour, then wipe it off. Grab your dremel with a fairly soft wire wheel and go to town. Once I got my AK piston really clean and put some Super Lube on it (has teflon) it didn't really get all that dirty again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back